Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I purchased the 650 the moment it was available from Sprint more than two years ago. I have tried pretty much EVERYTHING and wouldn't want to give up the convenience. I'm just getting bored with it. I hate to even think about how much I've spent on software and accessories. I want something NEW but none of the new Treo's are different enough to justify the upgrade, especially when used in my area. Problem is that in my area Sprint is the only national carrier available. They don't have EVDO here and probably never will. There is a Cingular/ATT affiliate here, but they charge an arm and a leg for a plan like I have, and may never get the iPhone. Sometimes I wish I lived in a big city. I'm almost tempted to get some unlocked gsm phone and switch to the affiliate. I was so impressed with my 650 when I first got it. I thought by now we'd have a lot more choices available. Anybody else bored with these phones?
    Last edited by scsanden; 01/13/2007 at 11:06 AM.
    I'm not bored, but I'm pretty damn tired of my 650. The voice quality remains atrocious, and that, more than any other factor, has me considering moving to another platform. Other minor factors include getting away from CDMA (I'm also tired of juggling my Sprint phone and my unlocked GSM travel phone) and the crap camera (admittedly not an important criteria).

Unfortunately, the competition . . . isn't much competition. The iPhone? Pretty much a big STAY AWAY, PEOPLE WHO EMAIL/SMS sign on that one. Blackberry? In addition to my generally emotional anti-Blackberry stance, I hate the lack of a touchscreen. The Palm 750? Well, maybe. But until it's available on T-mobile or Sprint's all you can eat data plans (the only reasonable ones available in the US), it's not really an option.
    I am Cingular already and would have never considered the 750 had Palm not added secret sauce to WM, but after the iphone hangover I had the day after the Keynote, I think I am seriously considering the 750. Only thing that bothers me is the mega-expensive phone package. I am paying about $105 for three phones 900 minutes shared, basic data plan on one, unlimited data/txt/mms on another. These plans shown on the Amazon website are going to cost me $120 for one phone.

Will I have 3G UMTS and keeping my existing plan or is that something that has to be configured from Cingular?
    Im getting bored...I just dont know what I want (other than wifi).
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

I, too, am tired of my 650--voice quality, resets, poor web browsing experience, no wifi, to name a few--and I know what I have my eye on to replace it. I'm not certain it will be a winner, but I think the iPhone has a lot to offer. I'll certainly be checking it out in June. I guess I'll see if anything else comes along in the meanwhile.
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    I purchased the 650 the moment it was available from Sprint more than two years ago. I have tried pretty much EVERYTHING and wouldn't want to give up the convenience. I'm just getting bored with it. I hate to even think about how much I've spent on software and accessories. I want something NEW but none of the new Treo's are different enough to justify the upgrade, especially when used in my area. Problem is that in my area Sprint is the only national carrier available. They don't have EVDO here and probably never will. There is a Cingular/ATT affiliate here, but they charge an arm and a leg for a plan like I have, and may never get the iPhone. Sometimes I wish I lived in a big city. I'm almost tempted to get some unlocked gsm phone and switch to the affiliate. I was so impressed with my 650 when I first got it. I thought by now we'd have a lot more choices available. Anybody else bored with these
    phones?
    Everytime I get bored, I get a new app or accessory. I have just upgraded to Nav 6 and have ordered a new Holux 236 to replace my 231.

I also have a new Plantronics 590A which gives me BT stereo. Cool thing about this headset is that it will switch from music to phone and back again when the phone rings. Can also use the headset with my iPod and it will switch from iPod to phone to iPod automatically.

I am sure that strategy will get me to June and the iPhone. One nice thing about GSM is that I can switch to the iPhone and back to the 650 whenever I like.
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    buy some other gadget and play with that. Maybe Sonos? http://www.sonos.com/index.htm
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray View Post
    I am sure that strategy will get me to June and the iPhone. One nice thing about GSM is that I can switch to the iPhone and back to the 650 whenever I like.
    I here you. I have purchased a lot of things for it. Actually there is plenty more I could buy. I'm just not going to put more money into this. I have stopped purchasing updates for all apps. (Pocket Tunes, Ultrasoft Money, BackupBuddy, etc.). No wonder I'm bored. My Verichat subscription ran out and I tried but won't be purchasing Causerie. Just don't use IM enough.

I'm looking for a new phone. I'm sure I'll miss some of the very cool things this one is capable of. I basically use 2day, Chatter w/ (AI Pro & Docs to Go 9.0 to read attachments), Pocket Tunes (for streaming internet radio mostly), and Pocket Express. I have a ton of other apps that are nice to have but are seldom used. It's going to be difficult to find even these "requirements" in a new phone. That's what I want though, a new stylish phone with these "basic" features, a good web browser, and streaming video/tv/slingbox whatever.

The thing that concerns me most about switching to a new phone is finding anything close to Chatter with the apps that let me view attachments. That is the one thing I bet no phone will match soon. I don't really care that much about editing a word doc or excel spreadsheet on my phone anymore, but I must be able to read them and the pdf attachments in my email.

This entire industry is moving a lot slower than I'd like. I want the Apple Treo 1000 with the Microsoft Chatter Exchange client today!

Almost forgot: As long as I'm wishing, Sprint is going to need to work a bunch of overtime in my area also!
    Last edited by scsanden; 01/14/2007 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Forgot about the network:
    I am almost for an year with Treo and pretty happy with it, especially after using slow Windows-based devices. And actually I do not see any option to replace it at the present. Plus a big amount of software and everything works fine. Maybe sometimes it is boring but I do not see anything better for me now
    I agree and bored is probably the exact word to describe it. I got the 650 on Sprint just over two years ago and had hoped that in two years when my plan was up there would be another new better phone waiting for me. But it sure does not look like it. I would have thought that Palm would have a much smaller, faster, more stable phone available to replace the 650. But from what I have read there is little reason to switch from the 650 and I refuse to go to a Windows Mobile OS device. The iPhone is interesting, but it does not look like you will be able to do text entry on it bery easily, plus the price is unreal and only available on Cingular for 2 years is not an option. Plam needs to get to work and introduce more phones than they have been. Let's face it they will say they have introduced a lot of new phones, but none are really very revolutionary, they have just evolved some.
    I took a little break from my 650.
    I guess it was mainly out of frustration with wanting to just be able to make a call and know that I would get my text and VM messages when they came. I got a Samsung t619 for - $50 (yep, after rebates I got paid to take it). Life is more simple, photo and call quality is much better, but I am not giving up on my Treo completely. I need to figure out what I have to do to keep her stable.
    B
    M100, M515, Tungsten E, Treo 600, Treo 650 unlocked GSM; SW 1.20 ENA; FW 1.71 (T-mobile)
    Just wait for the SlingPlayer for Palm OS due out this quarter.....that will make it worth hanging on to for a while longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer View Post
    Just wait for the SlingPlayer for Palm OS due out this quarter.....that will make it worth hanging on to for a while longer.
    You mean the CDMA-only one?
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer View Post
    what would this bring to the market that kinoma, & orb doesn't?
    I got bored with the 650 and got an MDA. Came back to the 650. Got bored and got a BB. Came back to the 650. Got bored and got an SDA. Went back to the 650 (anyone want an SDA with the Imate ROM flashed for push email? cheap?). Got bored and got the Dash. went back to the 650.

I'm beginning to draw some tentative conclusions from these data:

1. I get bored easily.
    2. The 650 suits my needs pretty well.
    3. Boredom is expensive.
  16.    #16  
    Ok, I've come to the same conclusion I did 2+ years ago. There is nothing better than my Sprint Treo 650 in the area where I live and there probably won't be for a couple of years.

It's time to just be grateful. The only thing better than my 650 is a newer Treo and they have almost no advantage in this area.

I'll build another custom ROM or something. I haven't tried that in a long time.

I'm well aware of the search feature here, but if anyone has the time can you tell me if they got fast mode blazer to work on the Sprint 650? If so I'll do a custom ROM and play with Kinoma.

Thanks!
    Last edited by scsanden; 01/16/2007 at 07:14 AM.
    its sad. I had a new treo almost every year since 2003... I have had the 650 for over two years now... I buy different toys now.. Creative Vision: M, new Mac, xbox 360, my real craving is for a new phone.

Whether it be a Visor Phone, 180, 280, 600, 650, or an iphone... i wish it were easier but each time it's "Oh that's cool, only I just wish it had" or "I wish it could do this".

In the old days innovations blew out the customer base on features and possibilities... now consumer demand and desires are moving faster than technology can keep up with.
    I've had my 650 for 2yrs as well, and want a new gadget, but there's nothing new out there for me... My 650 can do everything every other smartphone on the market can do except 3G speeds & wifi...

I'm not even impressed with the iPhone... granted its some nice eyecandy... But as I was watching the presentation, I was waiting for Jobs to show me something the iPhone can do that my 2+ yr old phone can't do, and the only thing I saw was wifi & the proximity sensor feature, neither of those are worth 6bills & another 2yr contract (IMO)

The great palm developers & hackers are the main reason for me still having my 650... they gave me a2dp/chatter/ mp3 streaming/wma streaming/wmv streaming/4gb sd/8gb sd/ flash video streaming, & the list goes on & on...I wish they could find away to throw evdo into my good ol 650 lol
    HTC Touch Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    its sad......... now consumer demand and desires are moving faster than technology can keep up with.
    Well, faster than Palm can keep up with anyway. Even iPhone, "not WM" but Wi-Fi instead of UMTS. Did Steve say "seamless hand-off?"
  20.    #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    The great palm developers & hackers are the main reason for me still having my 650... they gave me a2dp/chatter/ mp3 streaming/wma streaming/wmv streaming/4gb sd/8gb sd/ flash video streaming, & the list goes on & on...I wish they could find away to throw evdo into my good ol 650 lol
    So are you on Sprint? From what I've read, to get all the streaming video you need Fast Mode Blazer and Kinoma. Can this work with the Sprint Treo 650?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast