Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Im wayyyyyy too tired of my 650-- DUDE!!! "Ed"die, What are you waiting on. Yeah, sure you love milking the cow, but did you know that cow is pretty dam tired of the same old shiz every freaking day. Ok, yea it may be a different person thats milks it every once in a while but guess what its still the same cow. Don't you think if you take all of that milk produced from that cow you could distribute it to many institutions and purchase a few new ones. lol!

There are way to many loyal customers thats dying for a new Treo product. Im one of them since the Treo 270. A few thing thats nerve racking is the fact when my friends pull out their Black Jack or their E61, Ahhhhhh!!!! My phone looks like a brick to theirs. Why don't you just SIZE THE DAMN THING DOWN, add wifi, better voice quality, less resets, a new web browsing experience, better yet an entirely new OS - Im sure that the list goes on but thats just a few off tops. Ok we get a little siked about adding new software every now and then but when it loops..WTF, lol! One guy said it best...quote "and I know what I have my eye on to replace it. I'm not certain it will be a winner, but I think the iPhone has a lot to offer." unquote. yep, and half of the board is thinking of the same thing. I'm not knocking the progress, just speed up the process.
    Hmmm....let's see....Kinoma only streams existing media from the web....Orb as far as I know only works with a media server (and I'm not sure it will work with the Treo unless you have Kinoma!). SlingPlayer allows you to stream LIVE video from any source (Cable, DVD, VCR, DVR, etc) and also remote control the source. Very handy for watching your local cable while on travel. Also handy for programming your DVR or VCR when away from home. I use it to watch shows I recorded on my DVR and also catching live broadcasts. I don't think you'll see Kinoma or Orb able to do that at a low price point or being able to leverage you investment in home entertainment hardware. Sling just won an Emmy for it's Slingbox/SlingPlayer. They have had the SlingPlayer software available for Windows Mobile (and those Treos running Win Mobile) for a while now. It's exciting that we Palm OS Treo users will now be able to have the same access.
    i am bored with my t650 2 i am thinking about upgrading to the 700p but a lot of people said when they do a insurance claim that they get offer a 700p i hope i can said the right words for that.
    Yup, I'm pretty bored, too. But I see that as a good thing. There are no major wants for me right now that my Treo 650 can't handle or hasn't been already handling for awhile.

To curb my "phone boredom" for a little bit, I just ordered the Seidio 3200mAh battery/cover, the treoantenna.com short antenna, a Transcend 8G SDHC card, and the Jabra BT620 headphones... Like a whole new phone!

Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    So are you on Sprint? From what I've read, to get all the streaming video you need Fast Mode Blazer and Kinoma. Can this work with the Sprint Treo 650?
    yeah I'm with sprint, I'm using the standard rom blazer... Blazer is just the middleman the actual streaming is done in the kinoma app... The advantages of fast mode Blazer are better caching & it removes the 2mb download limit... so it really won't benefit you when it comes to streaming

When streaming on the 650, think of the old 56k dial-up days... before I even attempt to watch a streaming video, I have to let the buffer fill up to 50% because the 650 just can't keep up with the stream...
    Heh. This thread reminds me that my appreciation of tech has changed quite a bit since I picked up my Palm Pilot 5000 in 1997. I used to love figuring out how everything worked, prodding and tweaking until I was convinced that everything was optimized (and it never was).

Now? I just want the goddamn thing to work. I don't want to think about how to optimize the call, I want to think about the call. I don't want to spend time setting up the perfect email system, I just want to move through my email as quickly as possible.

Which is why I am not bored with my 650 (also purchased the day it was available), I'm just tired of it taking up so much of my time.
    Quote Originally Posted by o_town_racer View Post
    Hmmm....let's see....Kinoma only streams existing media from the web....Orb as far as I know only works with a media server (and I'm not sure it will work with the Treo unless you have Kinoma!). SlingPlayer allows you to stream LIVE video from any source (Cable, DVD, VCR, DVR, etc) and also remote control the source. Very handy for watching your local cable while on travel. Also handy for programming your DVR or VCR when away from home. I use it to watch shows I recorded on my DVR and also catching live broadcasts. I don't think you'll see Kinoma or Orb able to do that at a low price point or being able to leverage you investment in home entertainment hardware. Sling just won an Emmy for it's Slingbox/SlingPlayer. They have had the SlingPlayer software available for Windows Mobile (and those Treos running Win Mobile) for a while now. It's exciting that we Palm OS Treo users will now be able to have the same access.
    Orb does everything listed above, all you need is a pc, a tuner card, a broadband connection... and Kinoma if you're on the treo... I'm able to watch live cable feeds via my tuner card, when I log in thru blazer, you can also stream your existing content on you harddrive... the only thing I haven't tried is to schedule a recording via orb, but there is a link to do it

here's a orb screen shot
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/r1_rydah/orbcap.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by R1_Rydah View Post
    Orb does everything listed above, all you need is a pc, a tuner card, a broadband connection... and Kinoma if you're on the treo... I'm able to watch live cable feeds via my tuner card, when I log in thru blazer, you can also stream your existing content on you harddrive... the only thing I haven't tried is to schedule a recording via orb, but there is a link to do it

here's a orb screen shot
    http://mywebpages.comcast.net/r1_rydah/orbcap.jpg
    You know what..i was debating the same thing myself....why would someone pay $200 for a slingbox when software (orb) can do the same thing (given that you have a tv tuner card...)

but then I tried it out and my tv quality was really crappy..i mean..BAD...1-2 frames per second and really blurry...all that came clear was the voice...if you like "listening" to tv rather than watching it..maybe orb is for you..

but before i changeto slingbox...i need to know a few things....is the quality improved? how does it get the data to ure phone? what if your EVDO only gives you like 100k/s?
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Well, for the moment, I decided to keep my 650 and send back the 680.

Why keep the 650?
    My 650 has never given me a problem (knock on wood) and does exactly what I need. I'll get the short antenna and get a new Vaja case for a lot less than the 680 like Bananachuncks said.

Why return the 680?
    Dont care for the price (Very expensive)
    Dont care for the the SD cover
    Dont care for the Sim card under the battery.
    Dont care for the new stylus.
    Last edited by darjay; 01/16/2007 at 05:23 PM. Reason: wrong emoicon
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post
    You know what..i was debating the same thing myself....why would someone pay $200 for a slingbox when software (orb) can do the same thing (given that you have a tv tuner card...)

but then I tried it out and my tv quality was really crappy..i mean..BAD...1-2 frames per second and really blurry...all that came clear was the voice...if you like "listening" to tv rather than watching it..maybe orb is for you..

but before i changeto slingbox...i need to know a few things....is the quality improved? how does it get the data to ure phone? what if your EVDO only gives you like 100k/s?
    The slingbox is a network server. On one side it is connected to a TV (and audio) signal via cables that come with it. (In my case, it is between my digital cable box and the inputs to my VCR/DVD, sound system, and HDTV monitor. In my sister's case it is after the Tivo and before her other components. ) On the other side, it is attached to my LAN and, via my router, to the Internet. (One must open the slingbox ports on the Internet side of the router.)

I do not understand the context of your question. "Improved" relative to what? I have an early slingbox. The quality is surprisingly good over Wi-Fi; I have used it over EDGE which, in the face of heavy voice chatter on the air side, may not deliver 100kbps. The slingbox client continuously reports its bit rate at the bottom of the screen. Quality is good at speeds above 100kbs. The highest that I remember seeing it report is about 800kbps. Slingbox uses what it sees; it does not give up easily.

Both the slingbox (server) and the client report their internet IP addresses to the free slingbox server. It helps them establish addressability but is not involved in moving the traffic. When one runs a slingbox client on one's phone, the phone looks like an IP device to the slingbox server. When one uses one's phone to connect one's PC to the slingbox, the phone acts as a proxy for the PC. To the slingbox client, the phone looks like a (PDANet/USB) connection to the Internet.

I hope this information is responsive to your concerns, if not to your question, and not too much more than you wanted to know, not too obscure, and not patronizing.

The important thing to know is that, if you travel, buying a slingbox is a low risk decision. If you want to watch TV on your phone, your phone is 3G data, and there is a slingbox client for it, slingbox is the best way to get TV to your phone. It is YOUR TV, your channels, your programs, even your remote control.
    Quote Originally Posted by palakdesai View Post

I'm on a 650 so no evdo for me.... Since I'm on a 650 I can only set my stream between 40k-55k and my results look just like mobitv if you've ever seen how that looks on a 650, probably like 15fps, not ideal, but watchable... for the price of kinoma & $40 tuner I can't complain

I really would like to see what kind of quality results I could get with a 700p, unfortunately I don't know anyone with one... I have a buddy with a verizon 700w, I'm going to log on thru his phone to see how a higher stream looks
  12.    #32  
    No EVDO or 3G on my 650. Slingbox would be fun. I wonder if the Slingbox would work with Sprint regular Vision very well? When I use pdaNet it says it connects at over 100kbs.
    you can expect this kind of performance on evdo with the 700p (i imagine) so. The following vid was shot using a 700wx (by a poster here named Malatesta)

Notice the sweet framerate. Anyhoo, just want to say that those few minutes here and there of Slingbox usage won't ultimately cure this 'boredom'.
    Quote Originally Posted by scsanden View Post
    No EVDO or 3G on my 650. Slingbox would be fun. I wonder if the Slingbox would work with Sprint regular Vision very well? When I use pdaNet it says it connects at over 100kbs.
    Likely. Except when the "chatty cathys" are at it. Question is left as to whether the slingbox client will run on a 650. Probably will not notice the difference.
    Quote Originally Posted by g-funkster View Post
    you can expect this kind of performance on evdo with the 700p (i imagine) so. The following vid was shot using a 700wx (by a poster here named Malatesta)

Notice the sweet framerate. Anyhoo, just want to say that those few minutes here and there of Slingbox usage won't ultimately cure this 'boredom'.
    that slingbox GUI is sweet...

Palm needs to hurry up & give the 700p a firmware update... I need evdo in my life... I might end up slipping to the darkside(700wx)

Ok here’s a vid of kinoma & orb on my sprint 650… this will give you guy’s idea of what kind of quality to expect… http://www.zshare.net/video/orb_kinoma_650treo-avi.html the vid uses the xvid codec

youtube link:

mobile youtube link
    http://www.mobetube.com/watch?v=MaS4QSKuzyo
    Last edited by R1_Rydah; 01/17/2007 at 06:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    I'm bored too, but I won't switch to the 700P until it's fixed and can be overclocked. I could really use the faster Internet connection.
    While I am never one to debate that a newer better device is a good thing, it seems that you don't necessarly need a new device as much as you want something new to tinker with. In terms of the Treo lineup, its pretty much a nice tinker box for those who want to tinker and a usabile phone/pda for those that need that. Its a heck of a balance, and the fact that Palm was able to have this much of a platform keep anyone's attention for this long does speak to good development - not necessarly flash in the pan development that merits new features and flash over functionality.

I honestly think that if Palm did come out with a "perfect to you" device, that some of you would jump ship to another device because its not that your needs aren't met, but that you want to have more control over developing something that you don't have a hand in developing.

: off my soapbox now :

FYI, get a N95 and have a ball with one of the best phones available in the world. You might miss the Treo side of buttons and fun, but it would give you enough fun and headaches to subdue your boredom
    MMM | AntoineRJWright.com | BH | Jaiku

Moved on to Symbian, but still will visit from time to time.
    LOL, it's time for a new vinyl cover. My old one is in pieces now.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I too have been looking at alternatives. But when i look at my phone, the only thing I wish it had better is the digital camera. I wish it has a 2 megapixel digi-cam built in. Even the 700's only have a 1.2 megapixel. The 750 isn't available on Cingular and it's Windows mobile and I don't want a windows mobile phone. I've been Palm since the Pilot 5000 launched way way back.

So there's nothing really for me to jump to. I think i'm just going to spend $ and upgrade some of my apps.

I'd have gotten the 680 if it brought anything really new to the table but the camera is the same as the one in the 650.
    I have been bored with my T650 for while. My keyboard quit working, so I thought I would try the new ultimate pocket pc phone, the Cingular 8525. Well, I discuss my experiences in several different threads (http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=133774 and http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=132549, but bottom line, I sent my Treo off for a new keyboard, sent back the 8525 within the 30d "trial" period, and am now back on my trusty treo full time.

I am not bored with my treo anymore.

-dale
    Nanotechnology Nerd
    i300-->i330-->i500-->6700(1 wk!)-->Sprintt650-->gsm650-->HTC Universal (1 mo.)-->gsm650-->Cing8525(3wks!)-->gsm650
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast