1.    #1  
    <rant and digression>Installing the upgrade to TomTom 6 wasn't much fun at all. At first I had dbcache errors (solved by soft reset), then TomTom would start and just go "poof" - nothing, nada. I ended up completely reformatting the SD card I installed it to, and that did the trick.</rant>

Is anyone else having trouble with Contacts Navigation with TomTom 6?

Contacts Navigation worked perfectly for me with TomTom 5, but with 6 when I select a contact to navigate to TomTom is putting the contact's house number after the street, and then complaining that the address cannot be understood.

For example, if I pick a contact who lives at "145 Main Street", TomTom 6 is trying to find "Main Street 145". Ugh!

Any ideas or suggestions?

-- Tom (really!), Treo 650
  2.    #2  
    I have been playing with this problem more, and I think the message telling me that "Main Street 145" cannot be understood is a red herring. After all, I started thinking, when you enter an address into TomTom manually, you do enter City, then Street, then House Number. So "Main Street 145" just might be TomTom showing me that it is parsing the address field correctly, according to its own syntax.

I am given the option to enter the address myself, and that walks me through the address selection screens (city, street, number) where I only have to tap the selection because it is pre-filling everything from my selected contact.

So contacts navigation "sorta" works, in a roundabout way.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    The only complaint I have about contacts navigation is that it pulls up the contact name. I'm in sales so I would rather be able to pull up by company than by contact. I could do this with TT5 but it's not available in TT6 that I'm aware of. I'm glad they finally integrated the two.
    Quote Originally Posted by tspine View Post
    <rant and digression>Installing the upgrade to TomTom 6 wasn't much fun at all. At first I had dbcache errors (solved by soft reset), then TomTom would start and just go "poof" - nothing, nada. I ended up completely reformatting the SD card I installed it to, and that did the trick.</rant>

Contacts Navigation worked perfectly for me with TomTom 5, but with 6 when I select a contact to navigate to TomTom is putting the contact's house number after the street, and then complaining that the address cannot be understood.

For example, if I pick a contact who lives at "145 Main Street", TomTom 6 is trying to find "Main Street 145". Ugh!

I too had problems installing and running 6. About the time I gave up, I found a set of instructions specific to Palm. While different from those for other PDAs and other Palm Apps, they worked well. I too had to move things from the Palm to the SD card in order to get enough room to start Nav 6. (The message was misleading; it talked about "DB memory" rather than simply "memory.")

I found that using contacts worked well; I never was able to use it under 5. It does show the address the way you say but finds it perfectly well. Let's face it, the way that we write it and the way a computer must find it are different. Remember that this is an international package; lots of countries write addresses in a little more rational way than we do. (There is a Names Preference for putting the number first. However, it does effect this display.)

It would not find an enterprise, even if there was an entry for the enterprise without any people name. It had trouble with a suitename or poboxnumber on the same line as the street address.

I found a limit on the number of favorites that I could identify that I do not remember from Nav 5. However, I found that defining POIs as favorites really did not help me very much. Between being able to Navigate to contacts and POIs, I do not need to define as many favorites as first thought. (I got in the habit of using favorites when I used Mapopolis and locating POIs was more difficult. I think that Mapopolis had more POIs.)

6 seems to have more POIs, at least close to my home, than did 5.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/14/2007 at 09:23 AM.
  5.    #5  
    For what it is worth, over the past weekend I sent mail to TomTom customer support explaining my problem with Contacts navigation. I got back a reply today. The reply said, "This is a known issue with Navigator 6 and a fix is being researched. Please stay tuned to TomTom HOME for the latest application updates for Navigator 6."
    Wow, you mean Tomtom actually responded to your email? Thats a first!
    I just installed TT6 and have the same problem with Contact Navigation; it is working for some and not for others.

My theory, however, is that it is working for City names that only occur once in the map you're using. The several I tried where it did not 'understand' the address were cities with multiple occurrences (e.g. "Richmond").

But if TT knows the problem exists and will fix it, great.
    Put the zip code on it's own line for the US. That could be why the person who never had a problem didn't, because he has all his zip codes on their own line.

Quote Originally Posted by tspine View Post