1.    #1  
    Mark,

Moxsi was developing what seemed like a great product. You have been talking about integrating a PIM-sync app with Chatter for quite a while now. Why did you throw in the towel on xChangeSync? For many of us, it was our last hope and gave us a reason to stick with the Treo.

Many of us are disappointed and confused. Could you shed some light on this?

Thanks

Posted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 4:41 pm Post subject: xChangeSync Important Announcement

On Tuesday, I received a message from the developer of Chatter stating that he no longer wishes to integrate xChangeSync with Chatter and that he will "probably" not license his background engine as well.

This being the case, I'm unsure of the future of this project. I don't feel xChangeSync would be very marketable without background operations (to include PUSH). Developing this capability myself is non-trivial and I'm unsure if I have the bandwidth it would take to implement it at this time.

I want to personally thank all of you who have supported this project. If any change occurs with xChangeSync I will update you immediately. I welcome your comments and/or suggestions.

Sincerely,
    Scott
    not trying to put words in marc's mouth, ...but i believe i missed the timing window marc had planned for integration. no worries though, i plan to continue development and release as a standalone application. the feature set will change a little, but it should be acceptable. i'm sorry this (xChangeSync) has taken so long but i opted for a complete rewrite/redesign and i had an extremely difficult personal/family issue that came up during the middle of all of this.

maybe sometime in the future the window will open back up and we can revisit the integration.

best,
    scott
  3.    #3  
    Glad to hear about the standalone. Please consider some kind of background triggered sync through http from exchange or using the old sms trigger when there is a change on the server. That's how intellisync (which syncs contacts, cal, tasks, and notes with exchange from palm) works and eliminates the need for scheduled syncs.

Wonder why Marc doesn't respond?
    Last edited by wannatreo; 01/13/2007 at 06:17 AM.
  4.    #4  
    Hmmm, no response from Marc. I wonder if he is working on a version himself? I read somewhere that Palm would be offering DirectPush support shortly. Maybe Marc is involved?
    I've responded to this in a few places already (but there are a number of threads and I may have missed a few).

I'm not working on anything related to Exchange sync, period. I've suggested that Scott keep going with the project, and that a standalone product would be very valuable.

Marc
  6.    #6  
    unfortunate, the potential market for a combined chatter pim sync is huge.
    I don't think it's huge at all, but I know it's desirable; the timing just didn't work out.

Marc
    Without integration, it will be difficult to use the corporate address book in Chatter/Ex. I was hoping that Chatter/Ex will eventually get a "search corporate address book" feature like Sprint Business Connect (or Cingular Xpress Mail) has.

I definitely don't want to download the 5000+ entries in my corporate Exchange Server on to my Treo.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Chatter View Post
    I don't think it's huge at all, but I know it's desirable; the timing just didn't work out.

Marc
    Actually, if a combined product were marketed as a true full PIM Exchange push solution, I believe the market would be quite huge. I consult for several major corporations with large deployments of 650's/700p's. Every IT admin I work with would jump on this in a second to replace Good (too expensive) or Scheduled VersaMail pulls.

Maybe you can reconsider?
    What about intellisync?
    3 Sharp Wizards (who can remember the model #'s anymore?) -> REX -> PalmPilot -> PalmPilot w/1 MB Upgrade -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm m505 -> Treo 90 -> Treo 600 (Sprint) -> Treo 650 (Sprint) -> Treo 700p (Sprint) -> Treo 755p (Sprint) -> Centro (KB & Batt too small) -> Treo 755p & Black Centro

Current "essential" programs: Chatter, 2day, TakePhone, SplashID, PalmPDF, 4Cast, DA, GoogleMaps, BackupMan, PowerHero, KeyCaps, LudusP, mSafe, TextPlus, VolumeCare, ePocrates, zLauncher.
  11.    #11  
    Intellisync requires a desktop redirector and a PC to be left on unless it is installed at a business on a server.
    Quote Originally Posted by wannatreo View Post
    Actually, if a combined product were marketed as a true full PIM Exchange push solution, I believe the market would be quite huge. I consult for several major corporations with large deployments of 650's/700p's. Every IT admin I work with would jump on this in a second to replace Good (too expensive) or Scheduled VersaMail pulls.

Maybe you can reconsider?
    My 2 cents: I'm not sure if the market is huge, but I know it is out there. We use Goodlink and the cost, lack of integration with the std DBs, and the large footprint are real negatives that would push us to a Chatter/PIM solution if it were available.

Problem, as I see it is that you can't do a complex project like this on weekends with no budget. It needs funding and full-time developer(s). I appreciate Scott's efforts, but it is too easy for a part-time developer to get derailed, as we saw here. Opportunity is a fleeting thing.