1.    #1  
    It says "do not start car with adaptor plugged in."

What's up with that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pighood View Post

What's up with that?
    They may be worried it will cause your car battery to drain very quickly and possibly even cause your car to re-start often...
  3.    #3  
    (slap)

What's up with that?
    Where does it say that? No wonder my Treo is flakey.
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Where does it say that? No wonder my Treo is flakey.
    I think I read it on a tag on the adapter cord or it might've been on a sticker on the cigarette adapter itself... anyway, it's on the adapter.
    Hmmm -- my 650 car charger just died (one of metal contacts snapped off the Treo end).

I had always left mine plugged in for two years with the 650. Even connected the Treo before starting the car as a habit. Never had a known problem with that, with either device.

Now you have me confused for my new charger and 700P.

Oh Bother, as Pooh would say.
  7.    #7  
    The warning is on the adaptor itself.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    At startup the voltage from the alternator will spike momentarily and could cause the internal fuse in the adapter to blow or worse fry the treo. This is why if you read your owners manual for your car you will see that all electric devices in your car should be turned off at startup. Radio, heater blower...
  9.    #9  
    Not a bad idea overall. Just wondering.
    Still, Oh, Bother.

I know the "ounce of pervention, is worth a pound of cure" part of me will win out -- but pretty soon the pre-flight routine that precedes actually moving the car is going to get real tedious.

(Especially, re-adjusting the seat and mirrors after the 16 year old has been it.)
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Still, Oh, Bother.

I know the "ounce of pervention, is worth a pound of cure" part of me will win out -- but pretty soon the pre-flight routine that precedes actually moving the car is going to get real tedious.

(Especially, re-adjusting the seat and mirrors after the 16 year old has been it.)
    I hear you. The Treo 680 runs out of juice quickly, so you plug it in your car charger right?. You go get gas, turn car off, fill up, turn car back on.......oh crap!!!
  12.    #12  
    Wonder if it's actually every happened, or is it just over cautious.
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Wonder if it's actually every happened, or is it just over cautious.
    I have never had any problems. I do not remember if I have started the car with the phone plugged in. I imagine it all depends on what kind of car you have... If the car manufacturer did their homework and added the proper circuitry with peak protection, you should be fine.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    Hmmm -- my 650 car charger just died (one of metal contacts snapped off the Treo end).

I had always left mine plugged in for two years with the 650. Even connected the Treo before starting the car as a habit. Never had a known problem with that, with either device.

Now you have me confused for my new charger and 700P.

Oh Bother, as Pooh would say.
    My behavior has been about the same. I was just kidding about my Treo being flakey. I *often* start the car with the Treo connected and have never noticed a problem, but one can never be too cautious.