Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have recently moved to 4.9.3. I do not recall what my last version was...what I do know is that NOW my Treo will autostart Goodlink after a few minutes of operation. I do not have many custom apps installed. It is a pretty vanilla Treo 650. I have quite a few apps in my SD card...but nothing fancy.

This is EXTREMELY annoying to me because I run TomTom on my Treo. It was annoying enough that I have always had to soft reset the phone just to run TomTom (not enough memory). But now I can't run TomTom at all!

In short...I soft-reset the phone. Regardless of powering up the "radio" or not, regardless of what app I am running (or if I am just looking at the icons). Within a few minutes GOOD just magically loads. I can't seem to stop it.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated. I am ready to get a second Palm just for navigation and toss this GoodLink palm just for my 8-5 shift (work phone anyway).

pF
    Experienced the same problem after getting version 4.9.2.30 - Good starts up automatically while TomTom is running and my Treo 650 resets. Very annoying!!! Good ignores "Work Offline." I am not 100% certain, but if I turn the phone off, TomTom seems to stay up - need to test this theory next time I need to use it.

Any advice from GoodLink guru(s) out there would be greatly appreciated!
    Have you tried stopping Good in the task manager?
    Hi GoodGuy,

I'm sorry, how does one access the task manager on a Treo 650? I didn't even know there was such a beastie. Thanks.
    Oopps...Guess I should pay attention to what I am reading. Let me check and see if there is a way to disable autostart.
    This is why I love coming to sites like these instead of spending HOURS on the support pages of a products site. I am having this exact same problem and while I'd love to have both working without a reset. Keeping GMM from starting up would be an ok workaround. I anxiously await your answer Goodguy!!!!!!
    If it makes a difference I have 4.9 but I'm also running a debug version because I was getting the "error 70" continually. I do not know the official name of the fix, this is just what our GMM admin calls it.
    Where are we?? And why am I in this handbasket?!?!?!?
    Looks like GoodGuy has forgotten us...
    GoodGuy... Where are you????
    Good luck with this fix. I have had Goodlink ever since version 4.0. I have had it on an SX66, 8125, 8525 and now Treo 750. Good Guy, yes you can force it to quit, but after a few minutes it will start right back up, taking up triple the memory of any other program installed.
    I got a reply from our support group. There is no way to disable autostart. I have submitted it as a feature request.
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    I got a reply from our support group. There is no way to disable autostart. I have submitted it as a feature request.
    Goodguy, how do i go about getting the latest Goodlink client from Good for my 700w. Do they make them freely available on the web or do i have to go through my Good admin?
    You need to go through your Good Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by GoodGuy View Post
    You need to go through your Good Admin
    I thought so as well. I did ask our admin about client upgrades and he said our Goodlink was server was 4.8 and the client upgrades were available online. I guess he is wrong. I have 4.7.0.25 on my Treo and i know 4.9.2.30 is out. Are there huge benefits in upgrading or should i not worry about it?
    So there is no way to keep Goodlink from auto starting and taking up 7 MB of memory on our devices? Is there a registry tweak that will do this? This "feature" sounds more like a virus that I might get on my desktop PC.
    Last edited by conekkted; 02/08/2007 at 03:51 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by conekkted View Post
    So there is no way to keep Goodlink from auto starting and taking up 7 MB of memory on our devices? Is there a registry tweak that will do this? This "feature" sounds more like a virus that I might get on my desktop PC.
    Just like the takeover of Palm contacts, this is completely unacceptable. One more way in which Goodlink does NOT live up to its name.

The only way I can think of to block autostart is to run some other memory hogging application (e.g. web browsing)! This is not a Good way to treat your users.
    Not much help for everyone, but I got an email with a special offer to upgrade to the 680 for a really good price. Upgraded and now I've got every program I ever ran on the 650 and then some and I still have about 40meg free. TomTom and Goodlink run without issue. I'm happy now.
    Has this been resolved with the DST update? It seems like it (at least if I choose Exit from the menu and restart).
    I don't know about the autostart, as on my 700w, goodlink (on soft resets), will not always autostart.

However, I can verify that when exiting, it will free up memory (not all but most). However all the soft buttons still maintain their shortcuts to Goodlink (which will start goodlink, if not running)
    My solution to GL taking over my Palm was to downgrade back to 4.8.x. What was Good thinking in having its app automatically install itself?

There is no way to run a GPS app at the same time as GL especially if you want Ptunes playing in the background.

Join the revolution and downgrade!
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
    In version 4.9.3 (DST patch) when you Exit Good from the Launcher, it soft resets the device but does not automatically relaunch Good afterwards. So that appears to be a way to temporarily exit Good.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast