Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MleB View Post
    OK, I may have missed this 'feature' with the last Treo (I leapt from a TX to the 'converged' 680 - losing wifi along the way), but with an incoming call, you brush against just about any key - say, trying t get it out of its holster or your pocket - and it not only silences the ring, but disconnects the call?

Who was the bright spark who thought up that one? What's the point of a keylock if it only functions on so few keys? OK, I get the phone may ring at an inappropriate time, but surely to kill it off quickly you can tap the screen to 'do not answer' or flip the mute switch on the top. You don't want to miss calls simply because you bumped the device getting at it.

Palm continues its recent practice to hire idgits....
    Maybe if you hit the Red button. But any other button on mine (I always use 5 way; why launch an app?) just silences the call.
    Quote Originally Posted by erikaf View Post
    It also seems they only let you re-assign 2 of the four main buttons, which I was hoping would be my work around.
    LudusP fixes this. It's $5.
    Just would like to add, that Nokia will be releasing its 6300 phone with led attention capabilities in April (Europe) with 2 led lights on each side of the phone will be giving you signals for SMS/missed call and network availability.

Palm, wake up and bring it back. Looks like I'll be buying this Nokia as my second phone instead of another 680.
  4.    #24  
    Ok, is it just me, or is the center button on the 680 is extremely recessed -- to the point it's hard to simply push the enter button without pushing up, down, left or right at the same time. This has caused me grief from day one. The 600 had this problem, they fixed it on the 650, and now it's back!
    My wifes center button is fine, but my 680 is the same as yours. I've gotten used to it, but still sometimes press up or right and in, picking the wrong thing occationally.
    Global Posts
    138 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by navinrjohnson View Post
    Ok, is it just me, or is the center button on the 680 is extremely recessed...
    It definitely feels different to me also. I generally hit the center button with the center of my nail to avoid mistakes. I never had to do that with a 650.
    --Nelson
    Network Time sync issue
    R
    Chan
    Treo 680 Mobitel GSM Sri Lanka.
    Quote Originally Posted by navinrjohnson View Post
    Ok, is it just me, or is the center button on the 680 is extremely recessed -- to the point it's hard to simply push the enter button without pushing up, down, left or right at the same time. This has caused me grief from day one. The 600 had this problem, they fixed it on the 650, and now it's back!
    that IS my one annoyance eally...quite a few times I press up instead of in...
    so the 680 does not have a flashing LED? it doesnt flash green when you have service and red when you don't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew_Love84 View Post
    so the 680 does not have a flashing LED? it doesnt flash green when you have service and red when you don't?
    I'm pretty sure it turns red when you don't have service, but no, thank god, it doesn't incessantly blink when you do have service. One less program necessary (LEDOff )
    You wanna know my gripe with the Palm 680 is? Simple; The screen is made out of glass that breaks extremely easily and Palm customer support is ran by about 90% primates.

I purchased my Palm 680, and 3 days later, it fell less than 8 inches to the floor on it's back (not it's front) and the screen shattered. So I got to the palm store for them to take a look at it and find out how much it may cost to repair it. The guy who sold it to me felt bad and wanted to help me, but then his midget-sized manager looked at it...literally poked at the screen and said "See here? You struck it here, right?" "No. It fell on it's back 8 inches from the floor" "No, you hit it with something here, I can tell" "Again, it fell on it's back..." "No! Look here! *pushes hard against screen where crack seems to have originated* this is where you hit it!" "Look, you fool, I said I dropped it on it's back, quit pressing your finger against the crack!" "ok, ok, fine, but you hit it there with a corner or something" "yes, you can CLEARLY tell the indentation on the screen where I slammed it on the screen, right (no, there was no indentation or superficial cracks whatsoever)." So at that point i snatched it off the guys hand and I just put it away.

You may be wondering...why did I call him a fool? Well, because he was. Not only was I irritated that the screen shattered over such a small fall (My treo 650 has fallen on it's screen off almost 2 feet and it worked perfectly), but he further shattered it by pressing his finger against the area that was shattered. So after this i decided to call palm...and after 1 hour hold ( ) I spoke to a fellow who didn't seem to understand the English language very well...oh yeah, his name was "Jim." So "Jim" told me that it was not covered under the warranty, and I would have to pay 150 dollars to get it repaired...so I said "Fine 'Jim' I will pay for it." He said that if the problem could not be repaired, they would send me a refurbished phone that was 100% functional. I told him "No, the phone was 3 days old, i am not getting a used phone because you guys can't change a screen. If you are that worried, I'll do it myself, send me the parts, i've read it's not that hard to change the screen." He told me it would not be necessary, so I sent my phone and I was off in my merry way.

I go online to check my bank account and Palm has charged me 207 dollars, so naturally I was steamed. I called Palm again (47 min wait time) and another guy with poor English speaking skills (this one's name was Charlie) explained that it costs 199 to repair plus tax. I explained to Charlie how this all was very frustrating, and how his fellow co-worker "Jim" was obviously an ***** who confused the 99 for a 50. And he said he was apologetic and blah blah, you know, the stuff they have in the cue cards. So "Charlie" transfered me with Cheryl, the supervisor, (realize there was no quotations) and Sheryl was a kind understanding lady who explained to me what the charge was and how sorry she was that I was lead to another amount. Sheryl made me feel better because she sounded like she understood my problem, and obviously, must have actually cared or was one hell of an actress.

I get my Treo 680 sometime this week (No way in hell i am calling Palm again to ask them when it arrives..I got the DHL email already). I am going to armor that sucker to avoid anymore issues. Perhaps I should have kept my cool through the entire event, but frankly I was too upset to really care anymore. I payed 400 dollars for a phone...no no..make that 600 now..607 dollars, and I demand satisfaction from Palm.

This entry may have been a bit off topic, but perhaps we can all learn from my experience. Palm support is sub par, and the people who you deal with are (for the most) fools. Armor that Palm Treo 680 of your's, as you many be next.

- C.M.S.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
    I would hope it's run 100% by primates, and that all of us are as well. But that's just me.
    I am sorry to hear of your misfortune but this sounds a lot like "I drove my new car off the lot and cracked it up and darn if that glass windshield didn't just shatter!" Now it's Toyota's fault for how much it will cost to fix!

The inherent risks of using these pricey devices (just like driving an expensive to repair car) is that they will break if dropped, etc.
    Think First, ask questions later!
    I chose to pay for the damage, I didn't fight the reality that it was my fault that it fell. I just hated how it was handled by them, which should be the last thing I'd have to deal with.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
    Received my Treo 680 today. It was a new one, not the one I sent. At least it was new...
    Did anyone mention 4K clipboard limit. Somebody please get Palm (Garnet) OS outta the dark ages. I love my 680, but that hideous limit caught me again the other day and I just shook my head.
    Patrick Horne
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I would hope it's run 100% by primates, and that all of us are as well. But that's just me.

Reminds me of a cartoon, where the diner asks the waiter about how sanitary the food preperation is. The reply is that it's not at all touched by human hands where there is a frame that shows primates rubbing it in their pits before placing it on a plate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cerebrum View Post
    Received my Treo 680 today. It was a new one, not the one I sent. At least it was new...

Isn't amazing how well that "GooGone" product works Excluding scratches, which can be removed by a new plastic exterior, how do you know it's new? Most refurbs have new keypads, etc, so it's difficult to know for certain.
    Hey hey, It's new! (let me dream it is before I am set off and rant angrily once again). Whatever, I still got my warranty...so if it's used or not, I rather it be a new exterior and used interior than a phone without warranty after me changing the screen myself.
    Quote Originally Posted by m.p. View Post
    2) Already saw a thread on this one, but here it is again - and I think this one is quite serious design issue. RED button on my 680 is almost touch sensitive. I mean it lost its responsive feel after about 3 weeks of use. When I take my 650 you can clearly feel, that you pushed the button. On my 680 the RED poweron button sinked into the front cover and I can't hardly say I pushed or not pushed. Very annoying as I lost my phone conversation several times simply by having my phone close to my head. ANybody having similar issue? Do you know if there is already 2nd batch of 680 which was "fine tuned"? I am considering to buy backup 680 but would like to wait until this is fixed.
    I am starting to see that my red button is starting to be not as responsive!!! I think it will not be long before it loses it tactile response feel and touch sensitive!!! Uh no.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast