1.    #1  
    I'm thinking about installing Afterburner on my VDX, but I really like my hacks (Trekhack, Batteryhack, lighthack, and the Diddlebug hack). Does anyone have conflicts with using Afterburner and Hackmaster? I will probably change my hack app to X-master as well, especially if it will ease any conflicts.

Thanks,

p
    I have Hackmaster on my Platinum with the following hacks
    Afterburner
    MidCapHack
    McPhling
    CryptoHack
    ClockPop

Haven't had any problems I could trace to any of the hacks. Several self-induced ones, but none hack related as far as I could tell.
    -----BEGIN GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    Version: 3.12
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    -----END GEEK CODE BLOCK-----
    I can't attest to Afterburner, but I recently changed to X-Master and added TrapWeaver. TrapWeaver helps manage trap handling, and since using it, I have had much fewer Fatal Errors and less "odd" behaviours (Contrast changing itself, etc.) The hacks I use are TrekSounds hack, BatteryMeter hack, ScreenShot hack, FindHack, and AutoLock hack (part of PDABomb). I have been very happy with this combo.
    Sven

If at first you do succeed, try not to look astonished.
    Upgraded recently to:

AfterBurner 3.0t (was 2.x)
    X-Master (was Hackmaster)
    Trapweaver (added, just in case)

Hacks (in order):
    ClockPop
    Afterburner
    Font Hack 123
    McPhling
    EasyLaunch
    AppHack
    MagicText
    FindHack
    3AlarmHack
    MoreFont Hack
    PrivateHack
    NoLinesHack (was ClearHack)

No problems, and since changing to AB3.0t and X-Master several odd behaviors disappeared and I now overclock just about everything, where before I had more problems overclocking things.
    Steve
    "Gort, Klatu verada nictu."
  5.    #5  
    I installed AB3.0 and X-master. Everything works except for iSilo, but I don't plan to keep that.

Thanks for the responses.

p
    I've been having a problem with AB3t. This is a registered version (I didn't discover this problem until after I registered). My testing doesn't seem to show the problem is related to any of my hacks. But ANY time I turn on, then try to turn off Beam Receive I get a Fatal Error. The error doesn't happen right when I turn off Beam Receive. It happens when I exit the Preferences window (no matter HOW I choose to exit). The error box only states "Fatal Exception" and offers me a reset button. I reset and everthing seems to restore just fine. If I turn off AB3t then I can turn Beam Receive on/off at will with no problems.

I've emailed to author and he asked me if I was using IRlink (the manual calls out problems with this program). I told him no and have had no further followup from him since.

I just added in TrapWeaver hoping this might help, but no joy. I don't use the beam function much so I can live with the problem, but it is annoying.

Bob
    Originally posted by GolfBob
    [B]I've been having a problem with AB3t. This is a registered version (I didn't discover this problem until after I registered). My testing doesn't seem to show the problem is related to any of my hacks. But ANY time I turn on, then try to turn off Beam Receive I get a Fatal Error. The error doesn't happen right when I turn off Beam Receive. It happens when I exit the Preferences window (no matter HOW I choose to exit). The error box only states "Fatal Exception" and offers me a reset button. I reset and everthing seems to restore just fine. If I turn off AB3t then I can turn Beam Receive on/off at will with no problems.
    I've been using AB3.0t (registered) since I got my Platinum and haven't had any problems with turning Beam Receive off. I have it off all the time until someone has to send me something. Then I turn it on, and when I'm done, turn it back off again.

Have you tried doing a hard reset and reinstalling things? Or re-downloading AB3 and reinstalling? Perhaps your copy got messed up during download?
    GS d-(+) s: a C++ UX++++V++S++ P+>+++ L>+++ E+>++ W++ N++(+++) o? K? w !O !M V-- PS PE Y+ PGP++ t++ 5++ X++ R+ tv++ b++(+++) DI++++ D+ G++ e+++>++++ h--- r+++ y?
    Originally posted by imabug

Have you tried doing a hard reset and reinstalling things? Or re-downloading AB3 and reinstalling? Perhaps your copy got messed up during download?
    I've been exchanging VDX's with Handspring over the last 2 weeks due to a loose screen problem. If I remember correctly, reinstalling my system to these new units would be the same as a hard reset. So I think the answer there is "yes", but if I'm wrong please let me know.

I have not done a re-download and reistalling. In fact, I haven't reinstalled at all. BackupBuddy just keeps moving the complete old system onto the new VDX. I'm going to try reinstalling the registered copy I've got now to see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll see if I can figure out how to get another registered copy of AB3.

Thanks for the suggestions...I'll let you know what happens.

Bob
    After downloading another copy of my registered version of AB3, I did the following. Since I had a spare VDX on hand (see last post)I deceided to do some testing. I did a hard reset on this one and let it reboot to just the stock applications. I installed just Hackmaster and AB3. Nothing else on system, nothing foreign for anything to conflict with. I then set my normal settings in AB3 and tested the Beam Receive on/off. This new, clean Visor suffered the same fatal error. I then reset and proceeded with the rest of the test. I turned off, one by one, all of the settings I had checked or set. After making one change, I would exit AB3, run an application, then change the Beam Receive setting (I normally keep it off). I can turn on Beam Receive and exit the Preferences panel with no problem. *Every* time I go into to Preferences again, turn off Beam Receive, and exit Preferences I get a Fatal Error. I continued the test until I had none of the settings checked or selected. Beam Receive still would not work. As soon as I unchecked AB3 in Hackmaster and tested Beam Receive, it now would turn on/off *every* time without fail.

Now this seems *very* conclusive that the problem lies within AB3 and the VDX. I've emailed the above information to AB3's author Daniel Wee and awaiting a reply.

Just for grins, I just did another hard reset (after turning off AB3 and deleting it & Hackmaster properly) on this VDX and installed DA Launcher and ClockUpDA. This overclock utility worked just fine regarding the Beam Receive on/off...no problems. I didn't like it as well as AB3 as it overclocks *everything*, even items that don't need to be overclocked. It also alters the beep on the VDX (minor) but it just didn't seem as nice as AB3. If I used the beaming function alot I might have to think about it, but as this point I'm staying with AB3. It does all it advertises and other than this weird beaming problem it is very stable. If I hear anyhting from Daniel Wee I'll let you know.
    Try TrapWeaver, I have it with Afterburner 3T on my Prism - no problems.
    Richard Grogan
    Email: <A HREF="mailto:rgrogan@azstarnet.com?subject=VisorCentral">rgrogan@azstarnet.com</A>
    Homepage: <A HREF="http://www.azstarnet.com/~rgrogan/official.htm">http://www.azstarnet.com/~rgrogan/official.htm</A>
    Originally posted by Azdeadwood
    Try TrapWeaver, I have it with Afterburner 3T on my Prism - no problems.
    Thanks for the tip Richard! I added in Trapweaver, did a soft reset, and gave it a try. Still no luck. Still get a fatal error every time I switch beam receive on, then off.

I heard from Daniel Wee (author of AB3). He sent me another registered version of AB3t to try and install. Problem is still there. I then installed a demo version of AB3p I had and tested...no problem. I removed AB3p and installed a demo version of AB3t...no problem. Of course, I don't think the beam receive function is able to be activated in the demo versions. I've emailed Daniel again asking for a registered copy of AB3p to test. I'll let you know what I find.

Thanks again for the response!

Bob
    what are your afterburner config settings? app speed settings? default speed? when you reinstall afterburner, did you make any changes to the default settings?
    GolfBob,

What settings do you have Afterburner on? I have noticed that from past experiences, the beam would not function at higher settings.

Also, I have noticed the that if you disable afterburner in hackmaster/x-master, the overclocking is still active. If you use the benchmark software, you will see that your visor is still overclock even after you turned afterburner off. To completely turn off afterburn, you need to do a soft reset.

For some reason, don't push the "norm" key. The "norm" key does funny stuff to the Platinum. My theory is the "norm" settings are for the Palm OS in a Palm PDA, not the modified Handspring OS. At least that's my theory.

Anyway, try these settings it worked for me in the past.

If you have a visor deluxe:

check
    0-ws Core
    fast Mpx
    fast Page
    fast HotSyc
    Adjust ticks

Default at 22Mhz or 23Mhz(higher setting will cause malfunctions)
    Find: norm
    LCD/n at 2 and check box

Gray at off
    Accel at Always
    Slow at Never
    Lclk/2 at 24Mhz

With the above settings, I got a Benchmark of 263%.

If you have a visor Platinum:

check
    0-ws Core
    fast Mpx
    fast Page
    fast HotSyc
    Adjust ticks

Default at 41Mhz
    Find: norm
    LCD/n at 2 and check box

Gray at off
    Accel at Always
    Slow at Never
    Lclk/2 at 24Mhz

With the above settings, I got a benchmark of 303%.

To download benchmark go to: http:///www.quartus.net

Hope this helps
    Fat's
    This is just so weird. I can make all 3 of the Visor Deluxes I've had in my hands the last couple of weeks fail the same way. I do nothing more than a hard reset, install the registered version of AB3t and Hackmaster. Nothing else installed. To trigger the Fatal Error I do no more than activate AB3t in Hackmaster. I make no configuration changes at all. Doing no more than activating AB3t I can cause the Fatal Error in all 3 VDX's by just going into Preferences and turning Beam Receive on, exit, back to Preferences and turn off Beam Receive.

I tried the settings Fat_Man recommends in this thread; no joy. Still crashes. Got an email from Daniel Wee asking me about the same items the group here is asking me about. He also asked me about the OS version. The one test unit I'm using says it has Palm OS v. 3.1. My regular VDX says it has Palm OS v. 3.1H3.

I appreciate all the suggestions and ideas! Please keep them coming. I'd really like to make this problem go away and I'm out of ideas. I could just leave Beam Receive on all the time, but I think my battery life will suffer. And with NiMH batteries and overclocked the battery life isn't terrific anyway.

Bob

p.s. I just tried putting in alkaline batteries for the NiMH's and it didn't change a thing...grasping at straws.
    Same here on my VDX. The .i shortcut (temporarily turns on beam recv) does not have this problem. Not having another PDA to test with, I haven't verified the use of the .i shortcut. It does *not* change the Prefs setting; if OFF, the Prefs beam recv stays OFF. No crash using the .i.
    Steve
    "Gort, Klatu verada nictu."
    All,

Just wanted to thank everyone for their support and suggestions. Following ss@rr's tip using the dot i shortcut I've got a workaround so I can receive beamed data. Used the settings Fat_Man suggested for a VDX. Now I can send/receive items with the other VDX's I had on-hand, as well as my wife's IIIe.

I emailed AfterBurner's author the information on the workaround. I'd also like to extend my sincere appreciation to all who offered tips, suggestions, and comments to help me get around this problem. This community is a great resource and I just want to say "thank you" to each of you.

See you around the boards!

Bob