1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have a Treo 700p (from Verizon, Palm OS 5.4.9) and have been spontaiously loosing the Preferences for the phone and ALL of my programs. This is apparently a bug that a few of us are dealing with. All of the data is still there, but registration codes and other configuration data is reset to the default values. I have wiped the unit with a hard reset and just reloaded a complete copy of the system (via BackupBuddy) in the past. This works, but looses data that has not been backed up. It would be allot easier if I could just restore the lost Preference files from my backups.

Now, I know that each application has it's own set of Preference files. However, is there something that I can restore that would reconnect all of those files again? Any other suggestions?

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
    Dr. Z.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeigh View Post
    Hello,

I have a Treo 700p (from Verizon, Palm OS 5.4.9) and have been spontaiously loosing the Preferences for the phone and ALL of my programs. This is apparently a bug that a few of us are dealing with. All of the data is still there, but registration codes and other configuration data is reset to the default values. I have wiped the unit with a hard reset and just reloaded a complete copy of the system (via BackupBuddy) in the past. This works, but looses data that has not been backed up. It would be allot easier if I could just restore the lost Preference files from my backups.

Now, I know that each application has it's own set of Preference files. However, is there something that I can restore that would reconnect all of those files again? Any other suggestions?

“Technological change is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.” (Albert Einstein, 1941),
    Dr. Z.
    I have experienced the same thing. I had to re-register all my programs and reset all my bookmarks and quicklinks....wtf...
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    I've had that happen and have just reloaded copies of the "saved preferences" and "unsaved preferences" files from Backup Buddy. That's where the Treo stores all of the registration codes and other preferences for every application, so that fixes the problem completely. It's a nuisance, but just a one-minute issue to reinstall those two files.
    Quote Originally Posted by mal5z View Post
    I've had that happen and have just reloaded copies of the "saved preferences" and "unsaved preferences" files from Backup Buddy. That's where the Treo stores all of the registration codes and other preferences for every application, so that fixes the problem completely. It's a nuisance, but just a one-minute issue to reinstall those two files.
    Well, not quite every application. Of the programs I have I believe Iambic/Agendus, McFile, and BackupBuddy use a license file and Chatter may keep it's own registration information. But, on the whole, yes, they are in the Prefs and it can be a pain in the a@*.
    PIII,PIIIx,V,Vx,M505,M515,TT,T3,650,700p=>>iPhone
    There's more to life than technology....but not a whole lot more
    The ultimate blame is the NVFS file system. Keeping copies of those files mentioned above do work; however, they may not be up to date. Reset Doctor works fairly well at keeping them safe - http://www.hobbyistsoftware.com/reset-doctor-more.php

Ben
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by mal5z View Post
    Mal5z,

Thanks! That is just the tip that I was looking for. I was restored and fully functional with 50 seconds, thanks to you and BackupBuddy...

Now, do you (or anyone else) have a clue what keeps happening with the sudden loss of Preferences?

More microchips than sense,
    Dr. Z.
    Collection of clues is in this wiki
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    142 Global Posts
    Glad I could help. Hopefully it's a complete solution. Ohmster is right that a couple of applications use license files instead of entries in saved and unsaved preferences, but I don't think those license files have ever disappeared on me; i.e., they are unaffected by whatever periodically wipes out the saved and unsaved preferences.

As for what is causing the bug, I've never put a lot of effort into investigating. It probably happens to me once every couple months at most, and -- as you say -- it takes 50 seconds to fix. But I do highly recommend setting BackupBuddy to run every night. I use the version that backs up everything onto my SD card. I'm constantly bailing myself out of jams (e.g., preferences or programs spontaneously erasing or corrupting themselves) by simply reinstalling last night's uncorrupted backup of one application or another. Of course, if I lose the Treo, I will have lost the SD Card too, but I move a copy of everything from the SD Card to my computer about once a week.
    A comment about BackupManager - it does not restore Java related files. Ben
    Global Posts
    101 Global Posts
    nvbackup user here. Its free. Backup every night. When things go wrong (pref loss, reset loop) your back up and running in a flash.