1.    #1  
    Hey all,

Is it possible to walk into a store and buy an unlocked GSM Treo 680 anywhere in Orange County? Or should I just buy online?

Adam
  2. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    Orange county, as in 'the oc', as in California's OC? Unfortunately, I don't think so, just since palm's the only retailer that sells it unlocked, and the only stores they've got in southern california are in l.a.

yeah it's a bit of a bummer, i even talked to the guy at the store and he said he would 'make mention' of it to his boss (hahaha, yeah, that'll go a long way). but yeah it would be nice if they planted one in the OC.

I wouldn't mind if it were in irvine or costa mesa even, i'm in north oc.
  3.    #3  
    Yup, as in Orange County, CA. Bugger; maybe a trip to LA is in order. I have a 650 and I'm kinda in two kinds so I figure I might have a look and see if the form factor is really THAT different to justify the upgrade.
    You can walk into a Cingular store to check-out the 680. Then go home and buy it on-line from Palm.
    I would verify before going but I read someplace there is a palm store at the Grove in Los Angeles.
    There is a store at the Grove. I was there Friday night. It is teenie tiny and has hardly any accessories. Its tucked away in a corner. I drove there from San Diego just to see what it was like. I ended up purchasing my 680 unlocked directly from the Palm website with 3-day free shipping and no sales tax.
  7.    #7  
    Ah, a Cingular store. Good idea.

How did you manage to avoid sales tax on that?
  8. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    haha, I was wondering the same thing, on the sales tax. do you live in san diego? i'm guessing you're from out-of-state?
    LB in the OC here, I ordered from Palm as well.
    Actually, I've never seen the unlocked phones anywhere but at Palm online.
  11. dpc
    Global Posts
    439 Global Posts
    heh, between all of us we can form our own OC treo users group. Do they still have Palm user groups? I remember there was one in LA.
    Quote Originally Posted by dpc View Post
    heh, between all of us we can form our own OC treo users group. Do they still have Palm user groups? I remember there was one in LA.
    In a sense, TreoCentral fulfills the role of a technology user group. We spend time talking about how to solve problems or how to optimize a technology we have adopted in common. We don't have to drive to meetings or find a meeting hall!