Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    TomTom just emailed me this today. I wonder if it's worth the $50 plus shipping to get it over the Nav 5 I have now???

Map of US and Canada v6.65
    Show detailed map information. Close Map of US and Canada v6.65
    With Maps of the US and Canada TomTom can take you to your destination!
    Navigate anywhere with TomTom Maps of the US and Canada on DVD. This collection includes regions, states or seamless maps for door-to-door, coast-to-coast and cross-border navigation. Simply install the map you need onto a memory card (SD card) using your computer and you are ready to GO. DVD $49.95
    shipping and handling charges will apply
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    THe upgrade is only necessary if you need/want the updated maps and POIs. Personally, I think it's worth it for $50 if you use TomTom enough.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    The upgrade is especially worth it if the contacts are integrated into the main program and you don't have to open them separately.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Do you mean by contact integration that one does not have to use the "Contact Navigation" program that is also installed when I installed TT Nav 5.

Am I understanding you correctly in that if I upgraded I could access a contact directly from my main contact database without having to open the contact navigation program? If so, than $50 would be well spent along with the POI's and roads updated I guess!

I still feel it's a little pricey since it seemed to me that the map info was already at least a couple of years old when I bought the Nav 5 and they should do better on the upgrade price being that the original maps were so outdated. But I guess if the above is true than I'll have to spring for the $50.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I've read that Nav 6 comes with it's own 1 gb card. My guess is that Tomtom feels there are less conflicts with other programs if you use it's own card.

But at least with Nav 5 I know it runs along with all my other programs without any problems for me and I don't want to have to switch cards each time I need the gps.

So if I upgrade can I still use one card or will the upgrade force me to use two cards?
    I have yet to see that offer arrive. I guess if you get the updated info and a 1GB card it would be worth it.

Although it's a great program, what's really troubling about TomTom is their ridiculous licensing system. It's tied to your hardware serial - major PITA to update every single time your Treo craps out. Technically they expect you to buy another license if you don't buy a "new" device and can present them with a receipt... but I was orally assured they will accept other methods of transferring over to your replacement device. Still, it makes you just want to hack the thing even if you own it...
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    Do you mean by contact integration that one does not have to use the "Contact Navigation" program that is also installed when I installed TT Nav 5.

Am I understanding you correctly in that if I upgraded I could access a contact directly from my main contact database without having to open the contact navigation program? If so, than $50 would be well spent along with the POI's and roads updated I guess!

I still feel it's a little pricey since it seemed to me that the map info was already at least a couple of years old when I bought the Nav 5 and they should do better on the upgrade price being that the original maps were so outdated. But I guess if the above is true than I'll have to spring for the $50.

Yes, I haven't received my upgrade, but it is my understanding you can open the main Navigator and have access to all of your contacts. No need for the separate Contacts CN. Since I'm in sales and on the road all day this will be worth the upgrade price alone.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    I just got mine. The only real change is the integrated contact navigator, but I checked places that were in error before and the new maps are very accurate and worth the upgrade price.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Hmmm have the upgraded europe maps too ? I need both.
    Does that mean if I have TomTom Nav 5 that I can get TomTom Nav 6 for only $50 more, or does it just upgrade the maps and not the software?
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 155 View Post
    Does that mean if I have TomTom Nav 5 that I can get TomTom Nav 6 for only $50 more, or does it just upgrade the maps and not the software?
    That's what I did.
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    That's what I did.
    LOL! Excellent answer to an OR question!

Please confirm that you had TomTom Nav 5 and the upgrade provided you with BOTH TomTom Nav 6 as well as the latest set of maps (6.65), which as I understand it, are dated 10/2006.

--OR--

It only gave you a new set of maps that still work with TomTom Nav 5.

From what I can gather on the GPS Passion website:
    http://tinyurl.com/yxeeov

The upgrade DVD does contain TomTom Nav 6, but it's still not entirely clear if you get a new unlock code card as well or if you still must separately upgrade to TomTom Nav 6.
    You get updated maps and some new touches, like Contacts within TomTom.

But if it came with an SD card, I sure didn't find it. I already had a 2Gb card in my Treo so didn't need it.

For anybody who's thinking about the upgrade: TomTom told me several weeks ago that the $50 price was an introductory offer that would only be in place for about a month, and would then go to around $100.

One surprise was that you can't load the new maps onto the Treo through a hotsync with the PC. You need an SD card reader, which I didn't have, so I had to buy one.

TomTom also claims that freeway offramps are now labeled on the maps the way they are on the signs. I hope so. It has been tough in LA because V5 often said things like Exit 50A. Some of the exits don't even have signs with the numbers, just the names everyone goes by, like Wilshire Bl. Since I just got it today, I don't know yet.
    Just got it. 1 DVD. NO SD card.
    I got the Nav 5 and on my 700p I cant seem to keep the power on. I tried powercontrol, which keeps the power on but for some reason my bt gets turned off now. PDA stays on but looses the BT connection.

What are yall using to remain on? I can't hit up arrow every minute to maintain power on a long trip
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    First thx for the responses

To hlazar: check (as tc600 already pointed out) your answer to TWO questions . . . "That's what I did" is not much help to us . . . is it

I think I led people astray in thinking a new one gb card comes with it. I never said that. My question was if Tomtom 6 will run on the card I have now. I asked this because if you pay retail for Tomtom 6 (not the upgrade) it comes with a new 1 gb card because they prefer run the program on a stand alone card. I don't want to use a stand alone card and my Nav 5 runs on my card now with all the other programs.

Joad: here is a link to the promo with answers to questions too: http://www.tomtom.com/products/maps/promo.php?Lid=4
    Click on "buy now" and enter your Nav 5 product code (I think it also takes your serial number if you don't know your code) it will tell you if the software you bought is eligible for this $50 upgrade and if you're good to go ahead and order it. Shipping and hand. is $6.00 (cheap).

dh: I just bought it when you said there is a time limit to the promo that Tomtom told you. Their site actual says it runs Dec 20th 06 thru Mar 31st 07 but I don't know how long their individual emailed promos run so you might be correct in that it's only for 1 month. In any case it goes to $100 for the upgrade so I quickly entered my order.

wbwjr: thx for your answer as it will be nice to go to an address directly from the main contact without opening the other CN program if this holds true.

The POI is really worth the upgrade to me too as I hate to be heading towards a restaurant in a new area that once I got there it closed 2 years ago I've learned to "call ahead" now!)

cg: this upgrade offered says nothing about Europe maps. Call Tomtom to see if it's in the works.

Joad: wow you are pretty bitter here on their licensing system! They are only trying to protect their product from being stolen.
    I too found it frustrating when I first got it two years ago but I think they have mended their ways on customer service because there are so many competitors out there now with the same product. This past year I had to swap 700p's out twice and another time when I first bought the program to work with the 650.

Each time I called them for a new code the were very responsive. Each time they gave me a new code or called back from a different dept. with no problem and never asked me for proof of purchase (maybe they do now?) or to BUY ANOTHER LICENSE.

Also, any time I've called their "free" tech customer service they were very responsive or called me the next day and left the solution to my problem on my voice mail.
    From my experience I highly recommend them!

Do you work for Garmin (just kidding) or maybe from the tone of your voice (since your posting has such a bitter overtone) it may sound to them that you're trying to steal their software (just kidding again, I'm such a kidder ).

Lastly, their site says the maps are by Tele Atlas (as some have said already)and are very current.
    Last edited by Expidia; 01/12/2007 at 08:16 AM.
    TomTom Navigator 6 does not come on a SD Card. It comes on a DVD. I actually bought the full version of TomTom Navigator 6 already from Semsons, since I wasn't aware of the upgrade, but I haven't actually installed it yet. I was thinking that I would order the upgrade to my Navigator Version 5 and just give the copy of TomTom Navigator 6 to my girlfriend (who has a 700p) if the $50 would get me a full upgrade.

Can anyone answer whether upgrading from 5 to 6 gets you the full version of TomTom Nav 6 conclusively from experience?

I'm hoping that the upgrade from Nav5 to Nav6 will actually tell you what Freeway exit to use. Often times in Nav5, it will tell you to get off at for example "Cumberland Ave", but there will be two exits for Cumberland Ave. One will be Cumberland Ave West and the other will be Cumberland Ave East. You have to figure out which one by carefully studying the picture and possibly zooming out, which is a horrible pain to do when you don't know where you are going, moving at 45-70mph and have to make sure no one is in your blind spot on the exit.

If Nav 6 fixes this, which the website says it does then the upgrade will be completely worth it and would be on par with the experiences I've had on a Pocket PC with NavTeq data.
    Last edited by 155; 01/12/2007 at 12:39 PM.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    [QUOTE=155;1171088]TomTom Navigator 6 does not come on a SD Card. It comes on a DVD. I actually bought the full version of TomTom Navigator 6 already from Semsons, since I wasn't aware of the upgrade, but I haven't actually installed it yet.

Tomtom 6 comes on a DVD or Card depending on how much you want to spend. The package with the card is $40 more and includes a GPS unit. The DVD package with the GPS is $40 less.

See here for Tomtom's list prices: http://www.tomtom.com/products/categ...D=2&Language=1

the upgrade from 5 to 6 only comes on DVD.

A new purchase of the Nav 6 is $249 list. Software alone on the DVD is $149, they won't sell you an upgrade from 5 to 6 unless you have a Nav 5 product code. So for $50 bucks for an upgrade it seemed like a steal to me.

Your other question "if the upgrade will become Nav 6 after I upgrade and function the same as the original Nav 6". I would think it would have to other wise they would have called it an upgrade to Nav 5 version and they might have called the upgrade Nav 5 ver 5.5.

So I would think the upgrade has exactly the same functionality as the Nav 6 you already bought. But best to call them and ask because they would know, I'm only guessing.
    Last edited by Expidia; 01/12/2007 at 03:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    I would think it would have to other wise they would have called it an upgrade to Nav 5 version and they might have called the upgrade Nav 5 ver 5.5.

So I would think the upgrade has exactly the same functionality as the Nav 6 you already bought. But best to call them and ask because they would know, I'm only guessing.
    I was hoping someone who already ordered it and received it could answer it before I ordered.

BTW, I picked up TomTom Nav 6 (software only) for $130 from Semsons. They have great customer service and quick shipping. $50 is a lot better than $130 though. If you don't have a Bluetooth GPS, buying one of their package deals is a much better deal, because you get to pick the type of GPS so you could get a cheaper bundle with better hardware from them or one of the various other gps sites.

http://www.semsons.com/tona6somaofu1.html
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Can anyone answer whether upgrading from 5 to 6 gets you the full version of TomTom Nav 6 conclusively from experience?

Yes, it definitely does and it is definitely worth the $50. I used it all day and it is a huge improvement over TT5. LOVE IT!
Page 1 of 8 123456 ... LastLast