Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I have TT6 running on both a 2Gb and 4Gb card with the full U.S. and Canada maps installed. It runs just fine.
    Ditto here.
    If it is installed on a 2G card is there room for other stuff on the card. I listen to books that are wmp files in Pocket Tunes. If I want to listen to the book, can I still see the map without listening to the TomTom directions?
    Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by rcowperthwaite View Post
    If it is installed on a 2G card is there room for other stuff on the card. I listen to books that are wmp files in Pocket Tunes. If I want to listen to the book, can I still see the map without listening to the TomTom directions?
    If you install the entire US maps, it will use 1.4mb's. So yes, you will still have room for an ebook. You can turn the sound off in the TomTom prefs. But, I have found that listening to a book or music with TomTom sound is just fine. It only gives directions when they are needed. Granted it sometimes goes a little overboard repeating, but I would have the "right turn ahead" repeated as opposed to not saying it at all.
    I have all my apps, a dozen or so e-books, some podcasts, 1 audio book and about half of the TomTom maps, including major roads of North America, installed on a 2G card with about .9G left. While I cannot speak directly to your appls and environment, I would not expect you to have a problem.

You can listen to RealPlayer while most other applications are running. (I use my iPod for most audio books).
    Thanks! While I have you talking, Treo screen seems pretty small. Can you really see well enough?
    Bob
    I have no problem seeing TT information on the Treo screen, despite my poor eyes. It helps to crank the Treo screen brightness to max during the day and the voice prompts help as well. Would a larger screen be nice? Yes, but not at the additional cost of a stand-alone nav unit.
    Thanks! While I have you talking, Treo screen seems pretty small. Can you really see well enough?
    I am seventy-two. I have no problem without my glasses, a little with them.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I own the upgraded Tomtom version now for the Treo and it's great. But as to the question of viewability its OK for it's small screen.

But with prices dropping so fast now I'm tempted to pick up this stand alone model below for my Wife. It's also great if small screens are an issue for someone as it's 4 inches wide (amost doubles the Treo's).

I just walked by this sweet little 510 Tomtom model in a West Marine store and had to check it out because it was on sale for $299, was the same software as the Treo's version, 4 inch screen, and I noticed it even had an SD card plugged into the top. Also it had a suction cup mount that can be popped off when you leave the car.

Had a friend lose his $1000 Garmin, since he left it mounted to his windshield. Even if you just leave the bracket mounted, a thief knows the GPS unit is in the arm rest or glove box anyway.

I forgot what I paid for the GPS Treo setup last year but I know with this last upgrade I'm already over $300. With prices dropping this is worth a look before one makes a decision to go with Tomtom for the Treo because like it or not it is quirky at times because it's integrated with all our other stuff on the device.

A stand alone unit IMO is still better for the masses after using the Treo for GPS for past two years.

Here are the specs off Pricegrabber on the Tomtom 510, check it out . . .

Description: The TomTom GO 510 GPS system is the entry level to the GO range, but is still packed with features. Features include a hands free Bluetooth car kit, a large 4" wide screen and a number of features not found on other GPS devices. The device is set to be supplied with a docking station for use in your home, that will allow you to easily charge your Tom Tom Go and manage the contents including your Points of Interest including safety camera locations. As well as an integrated SirfStar III GPS receiver, the GO 510 has the ability to playback MP3 files and the additions to the TomTom Plus service have been adjusted to reflect this with audiobooks scheduled for availability to Plus members. With the TomTom Go series, TomTom introduces TomTom HOME, a free software application that is compatible with both PC and MAC. TomTom HOME enables users to manage, download, store and transfer content from their computer onto the TomTom Go. Drivers can pre-plan their route, download maps and it will be even easier to access the and improved TomTom PLUS content & services like TomTom Audiobooks, TomTom Buddies, TomTom Traffic & Road Conditions, and Weather.

Actually it's the TomTom ONE for $299 which is the unit I saw 3.5 inch touch screen. Just received a catalog showing it from Crutchfield for that price.

Looks sweet!
    Last edited by Expidia; 04/04/2007 at 03:11 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    The appeal of using Treo is being able to use the addresses in my contacts. I am an Episcopal Priest, with 1400 households. I am thinking how nice it would be to be able to easily "plot my course" to any of those addresses with a simple tap or two.
    Bob
    Bob
    The appeal of using Treo is being able to use the addresses in my contacts. I am an Episcopal Priest, with 1400 households. I am thinking how nice it would be to be able to easily "plot my course" to any of those addresses with a simple tap or two.
    Bob
    Indeed. It works too.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Bob

Yes, it works. I like it too but one still needs to be somewhat of a techy to keep it going. I have many small, annoying issues with Nav 6 (and Nav 5) so if you like fooling around with stuff go for it.

For my Wife though, I'm going to go for the TomTom One for it's simplicity. She does not have a Treo.

If I had to do it all over again, I personally would go the stand alone route. Keep in mind that when I went with Tomtom 5 most GPS units were $1000.
    Now that small portable stand alones are only $299 and are sure to fall from there too, I think Tomtom will have problems moving a lot of GPS set ups for the Treo. Seems most cell carriers are moving in the direction of cell phones with built in GPS units. Remember back a few years ago when to buy a car with a GPS built in it was an extra $4000?

I do agree that the contacts software is much better now than with Nav 5 which was a separate program. It's all pretty smooth now.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    Yes, it works. I like it too but one still needs to be somewhat of a techy to keep it going. I have many small, annoying issues with Nav 6 (and Nav 5) so if you like fooling around with stuff go for it.

For my Wife though, I'm going to go for the TomTom One for it's simplicity. She does not have a Treo.

If I had to do it all over again, I personally would go the stand alone route. Keep in mind that when I went with Tomtom 5 most GPS units were $1000.
    Now that small portable stand alones are only $299 and are sure to fall from there too, I think Tomtom will have problems moving a lot of GPS set ups for the Treo. Seems most cell carriers are moving in the direction of cell phones with built in GPS units. Remember back a few years ago when to buy a car with a GPS built in it was an extra $4000?

I do agree that the contacts software is much better now than with Nav 5 which was a separate program. It's all pretty smooth now.
    For your purposes I would still go with the Treo. Being able to pick a Treo contact as your destination is very cool.

However, even with a standalone TomTom entering an address is very easy. Much more so than with, say, Magellan/Neverlost.

TomTom uses a reverse notation in which it asks for the state first and the city second. It will default to a short list of states, and then cities that you have referred to in the past. If the address is not in one of those cities, you start to spell the name of the city. The TomTom responds by shortening the list of all cities until you can pick the one that you are interested in. It uses a similar procedure to identify the street within the city. Finally it prompts you for the address. By now it knows what the possible street addresses are and will not let you enter one that does not exist. Often one can find the address with a dozen key-strokes. One rarely needs more than twenty.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 345678