Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    While TT may call it an upgrade, it would appear to be an entirely new product.
    I only meant that it does not seem to matter if you had a previous version installed.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    Expidia, thanks. Anyone else care to chime in on this issue?
    I installed it on the same card in which I had TT5 plus about 20 other programs via PowerRun and a couple of movies and mp3 files. No problems at all. In fact, I have installed it on two cards that were already TT5 and other programs. I didn't delete anything or re-format.
    Hmm..I just received my navigator 6 upgrade and when I type the product code into Tomtom's website to check to see if my maps are current, it says they're not!

What's with that? Am I missing something here?

*edit* just saw that my maps are ver 6.65, which seems to be consistent w/ everyone else here. also when i try to "order new maps w/ my new tomtom nav 6 product code, it says that no new maps are available to buy...

still don't know why the discrepancy on their website though...
    Last edited by lawrence; 02/03/2007 at 05:16 PM.
    Twitch, Marky, JohnH -- thanks for your advice. My install went perfectly. (I deleted all TT5 apps and maps, then installed TT6/maps/voices to the 4gb card which already had a ton of other crap on it. No problem at all.)
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Glad it worked for you.
    Anyone having speed issues using the 1.4GB US map? TT6 runs so slow it's useless! Pushing buttons, recalculating route, moving map (3D or not), it's all very very very slow.

I'm going to try a smaller map next...
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    I got an email today with a link that sent to a page with upgrade directions. Perfect timing, just two weeks too late. http://www.tomtom.com/support/index.php?FID=6789&Lid=4
    I used a smaller map and the problem went away. I followed the directions on the llink above and noticed USA and Canada is the one recommended (smaller). I noticed POIs in the the region map are missing from the USA and Canada map. Screen updates are still slower but considerably better that the 1.4GB version.

The "OH PA WV VA MD DE DC NJ" map updates the screen in less that one second. The "USA and Canada" takes about 5 seconds. This one is usable but anoying. I'm glad I payed the upgrade price.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    I used a smaller map and the problem went away. I followed the directions on the llink above and noticed USA and Canada is the one recommended (smaller). I noticed POIs in the the region map are missing from the USA and Canada map. Screen updates are still slower but considerably better that the 1.4GB version.

The "OH PA WV VA MD DE DC NJ" map updates the screen in less that one second. The "USA and Canada" takes about 5 seconds. This one is usable but anoying. I'm glad I payed the upgrade price.
    It is clear from the reports here that the choice of maps influences performance. So does available memory. So does SD card speed. If you are not happy with performance, you may be stressing the application and the Palm. A little tuning can help.
    I now have the big 1.4gb map on my card, but only plan to use it when driving state to state. For everyday use here at home, I just use NY -- just as quick as TT5 was. Tomorrow I leave for AZ -- took me all of 2 minutes to get that map on the card and it's also very quick.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I went back to the Northeast region map which is just over 300kb.
    Definitely faster now.

Maybe this will help speed up my "slow to find the gps" problem also.

I'll test it out on my way to work in the AM.

I can aways put on a larger map before I travel out of the region this map is covering. On Nav 5 I used this same regional map anyway.

The upgrade at least updated the roads and POI's.

Me thinks that putting on the Nav 6 larger maps is better suited for TomTom's bigger stand alone units. The Treo's processor is just to slow for these bigger maps. It works OK with the big maps, just slows down the whole process.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    I went back to the Northeast region map which is just over 300kb.
    Definitely faster now.

Maybe this will help speed up my "slow to find the gps" problem also.

I'll test it out on my way to work in the AM.
    I'm interested to hear your results with this.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    I'm interested to hear your results with this.
    Seems to work for me. Went to just Texas (still 100mb!), and now the Bluetooth modem connects as it should. Dissappointed I can't use the entire North American map, but willing to accept it is a 700P hardware limitation...
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Just had a chance to test the GPS connection speed with a smaller map.

Connection time from off was about 30 secs (compared to using the 1.4 map at 10 minutes to find the GPS).

About the same now speed wise using a regional map as it was with Nav 5.

So that's it, the big maps are better suited to work with the Tomtom stand alone units.

The 700 will run the big maps but everything is going go real slow.

Regional map is fine for me. Don't know why anyone would need to load the whole country anyway, unless you were a cross country truck driver and they would probably have a stand alone unit with it's big screen on their dash.

Swapping maps out is easy anyway.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I noticed it tells me to back up my downloaded maps before I remove a map from my card.

Does this mean now that I took off the 1.4 large U.S.map that if I try and download it again at some later date It won't let me?

Does this mean I have to download and make a back up of EACH map listed on the DVD?
    I did it more than once without back up first and had no problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    I did it more than once without back up first and had no problems.
    I guess the way that I would describe my experience is that TomTom is somewhat sensitive to its environment but not hostile to it. It is far more likely not to work than to damage or interfere with any other application. It fails safe.

Spent a week in a strange city with TomTom 6 this week and was very pleased with it. Easy to tell it where I wanted to go and easy-to-follow directions.

I did fail to find a few POIs; I do not conclude that they were not there. (This was in New Orleans. Nuff said?) When that happens, I just use DA to look it up, copy it to contacts, and then use the contacts feature in "Navigate to."
    Last edited by whmurray; 02/13/2007 at 01:03 PM.
    I just got back from Arizona -- TT6 worked flawlessly, and every POI I searched for except one was listed, even obscure restaurants. Yes, TT6 takes a bit longer to connect via bluetooth with the GPS receiver (maybe 30 seconds or so), but I can live with that for the convenience of TT6 on my Treo. After all, I have a 700p, what's a little more lag?
    Global Posts
    473 Global Posts
    You can replace the poi.dat file in the usa canada map (50meg) with poi.dat from north america map (150meg ) and keep the speed respectable but get the extra poi. this also means there are more differences between the 2 maps than just poi. i was in the mood to mess around with it and it seems to run ok since swapping poi. i need to do a better comparison of poi data but that will come with more time playing with it.

PS all this is on a 650 no 700 yet.
    At the risk of writing OT, I ask:

Has anyone used the TomTom HOME application on Mac OS X? I've installed it, and it runs...but crashes about the time it searches for my "TomTom device."

Anyone have a similar experience?

BTW: 700p, Mac OS X (PPC), SanDisk 2 Gb SD card
    Last edited by Be@ker; 02/18/2007 at 01:02 AM. Reason: equipment list

Napoleon, don't be jealous because I stay at home and chat with babes online all day. Besides, we both know I'm training to be a cage fighter.
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast