Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Thanks to everyone posting their upgrade results. It really helped when I went from TT5 to TT6 today. I just put my SD card in a card reader (I didn't format the card and used the one with my TT5 maps and other unrelated data) and installed the TomTom DVD.

From the Home application on my PC I was able to uninstall TT5 and associated maps then install TT6 and the map(s) I wanted. I went with the US & Canada map since it was smaller then the NA map.

I then put the SD card in my Treo and TT6 started. I was able to activate OTA from my Treo in about 15 seconds. The only clean up I needed to do was move the Start file from my SD card to RAM so TT won't start every time I insert the card or soft reset.

So far the performance seems better than TT5 (quicker) and the interface is slightly improved. It is a bit slower when looking up an address but that is due to the one large map versus the multiple, smaller maps I used with TT5. The slowness is negligible though and not a big deal. I'm loving the fact that my four year old house is now on the map along with other new stuff in my neighborhood.

I have not road tested TT6 yet but it had no problem hooking up with my BT-338 GPS and the traffic and weather options seem to work well. It appears that traffic updates are a no-cost item with TT6. On TT5 it was a trial that never ended for North America. I think Europeans needed to pay for traffic since their data was more consistently updated. In the U.S. the traffic updates are dependent upon local jurisdictions, so it's hit or miss.

Anyway, I'm so far very happy with the $50 I spent.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Sorry if these tips are redundant, but I didn't see the other recent posts before I wrote this out!

Marky and I posted our experiences 1 minute apart!

Ordered 1-12-07 arrived from Fort Worth Texas to NY on 1-23-07

I read some of the other posters install notes, but I still had problems understanding them, so I had to call tech support. Tech was great but I had to wait 50 minutes at 6pm EST on hold.

In layman's terms for installation: As others have said, you don't hotsync at all. You use a card reader (you can buy one for 10 bucks) The program won't recognize your 700 anyway if you try and attach the cable, so don't even bother.

Pop in the DVD (there are no instructions, just pictures on a side flap of the DVD box of how you put the DVD in your computer). Tech support said they are getting many complaints about this. But he said "at least all these tech support calls are keeping them working" after 50 minutes on hold I failed to see his humor

After you answer some default questions about which unit you have the DVD will first install a new program called "TomTom home" onto your computer.

If you already have a TomTom account it will ask you for your email and password. It then recovers your previous purchases like voices etc. (or you just open a new account if you don't have a password already).

You then check off 3 things, first is "the new Tomtom handheld application" which will be loaded onto your card thru the card reader (when you put the card into your 700 it will upgrade it to ver 6.010. The check box to choose is the one that says Palm OS, I think it also says "access powered".

Next you check off the "full U.S. Map". I asked the tech if I chose the Northeast map and also the full U.S. map (about 894 mb) will I get finer detail if I choose the Northeast one over the full U.S.

He said no. So don't even bother with any other maps. The only reason the other ones are on this new DVD is if you don't have room on your card for the whole country, If you only need 1 state, it might only be about 50 mb(note that it's a DVD, not a CD which is why it can hold so much info now and eliminates the 8 disks with Nav 5).

Also check off which ever "voices" you want transferred to the card. I have John Cleese, Sylvia (sexy) Lori (the standard U.S. one) and the tech also put on for me NY cabby, the Don and Holly. I don't know if they were extra, but I know I had to pay for John Cleese and Sylvia last year.

Now you're ready to click on "install" and here is what happens (or what didn't happen with me).

Once the choices are installed to your card you then take the card and put it into the 700. It automatically starts to update the 700's TomTom program to version 6.010. And you're good to go!

My problem was since I already had some TomTom Nav 5 files on the card even though I deleted the maps there are still other files that can cause conflicts. They prefer you to start with a formatted 1 GB card, because it's easier for them to diagnose any issues without having any conflicts from the files when you are doing the initial upgrade.

Since I was on hold for 50 minutes I had time to take my 2 GB card out that has my other palm stuff on it and format a 1 GB card and installed the same choices I already had in the TomTom Home program and installed them back onto the new card. Just as the tech answered I was putting the a 1 GB card into the 700 and the app started it's automatic upgrade. So it was the old card with my other stuff on it that was giving me problems.

But now that the TomTom software is updated to Nav 6 all I had to do was put the 2 GB card in and it ran fine.

They include a new product code card in the box, so when you go to the first map it will ask you for this code. You can check off automatic when it asks you and it does it registers the product code wirelessly.

You can also do it manually if you don't have net access from your 700 by going to www.Ttcode.com and the code can be entered there.

Good thing for me that I had the tech on the phone, because there were no voices like from John Cleese or Sylvia when I selected and tested them. So the tech had me delete them on my Tomtom home programed also deleted from my card. He gave me new ones on his end since some voices won't work with the Nav 6 version if you used them on Nav 5.

BEST NEW FEATURE . . . My biggest beef with Tomtom was that if you didn't know the "exact" address you were screwed if you were trying to locate a point of interest like a restaurant in a particular town or an area that you are going to.

Worse yet, because the maps were so old and out of date, the street address or restaurant's name even if you had it was not in Nav 5 anyway.

NOW there are 3 new icons under point of interest 1. POI near you, 2. POI in city, 3. POI near home and another one on the next screen that says "any" POI category. Now you can just enter a few letters and hit enter and up pops the most current choices.

Also

This next tip may have been in Nav 5 too, but I never used it because there were so many missing address's it was useless to me. . . The best I could get Nav 5 to do for me was to scroll through the restaurant lists while I was driving through the area with the GPS on and it would tell me the few restaurants it had in the program and how far they were away from my car's location.

You can also click advanced planning, then click "City center" and enter the city's name like Weehawken, NJ and then as an example choose the restaurants first few letters like CHEES and up pops all the Cheesecake Factory locations with address's and phone # in the city before you even get there.

So to me, this feature for finding the most current POI's (and the included latest maps) without knowing the exact address is the best of all and well worth the $50 upgrade as another poster had noted. I would have paid $100 if I had too!

So grab it for the $50 right now before it goes up!
    Last edited by Expidia; 01/26/2007 at 07:18 AM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    1. I called tech support at 6pm two days ago and was on hold for 50 min. as I mentioned in the above post.

I called this AM before 9AM and a tech picked up in 30 secs.

So there you have it . . . call before 9AM, she verified that this was the best time to contact them.

2. My call was to ask about the difference between the 800 MB U.S. map and the 1.4 MB U.S. map.

Her answer was the only difference is "more Points of interest" in the larger map.

So if POI's are important to you, definitely use the larger one. If space on your card is a consideration (like when you have a smaller card, a lot of programs, Pictures, MP3 files etc). . . go with the smaller map version.

Also they are having issues with their website as to asking them a question online. Today, it would not take my question as it said "email field was blank" even though I was signed into my account. There is no place to put in your email! You have to be signed in to ask them a question. So it's quicker to call them directly.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    MarkY and Expidia, thanks for taking the time to describe your experiences. This will help when my update arrives.
    So has anyone actually used both the 894MB and 1.4GB versions of the maps to compare the POI's? If so, please list the differences. Much appreciated.
    I upgraded from TT5 on the 650p to TT6 on the 700p, and MAN is TT6 SLOW on the 700p. Anyone else? Yes I am using a much larger map (1.4mb), but on the same SD card. And it takes 5+ minutes to connect with my Bluetooth GPS (BT-338), when the 650p/TT5 connected alomst instantly. Interestingly enough, when using cotoGPS on my 700p, I don't have this problem...

I e-mailed this as a question to TomTom LAST Monday, still no response...
    Quote Originally Posted by wilme2 View Post
    I upgraded from TT5 on the 650p to TT6 on the 700p, and MAN is TT6 SLOW on the 700p. Anyone else? Yes I am using a much larger map (1.4mb), but on the same SD card. And it takes 5+ minutes to connect with my Bluetooth GPS (BT-338), when the 650p/TT5 connected alomst instantly. Interestingly enough, when using cotoGPS on my 700p, I don't have this problem...
    It's taking me about a minute to connect my 700p to my BT-338 whereas it was instant with TT5. Let us know if you get a response from TT. I'll send a similar question to them later today.
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkY View Post
    It's taking me about a minute to connect my 700p to my BT-338 whereas it was instant with TT5. Let us know if you get a response from TT. I'll send a similar question to them later today.
    On my 650, my Holux 236 connects to Treo in about six seconds. I recently upgraded from a 231 to a 236 in hopes that satellite acquisition would be faster. If it is, it is only marginal.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I noticed the same problem right off. Takes 3-5 minutes to find the GPS signal where TT5 only took 30 secs.

Thsi seems to me to be a firmware glitch and they will have to address this issue with an update.

I tested it the day after I loaded it and by the time it finally found the GPS I had already arrived at my office . . . 7 minutes away from my home

I'll email them my complaint too!
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I noticed the same problem right off. Takes 3-5 minutes to find the GPS signal where TT5 only took 30 secs using the same unit that I used with Nav 5 and my old 650.

This seems to me to be a firmware glitch and they will have to address this issue with an update.

I tested it the day after I loaded it and by the time it finally found the GPS I had already arrived at my office . . . 7 minutes away from my home

Of course their email is not working again . . . says there is no value for my email address even though I'm signed in. I see no where to put an email address in!

So if someone gets through please send them my complaint too!

To: TomTom support
    I just upgraded from Nav 5 to Nav 6. As others have already noted on the TreoCentral forum in the 700P section that TT 5 found the GPS signal in about 30 seconds.
    Now that I have installed your TT6 it takes over 5 min to locate the GPS signal. This is unacceptable!
    Please let me know when you will have a fix to correct this issue
    Last edited by Expidia; 02/01/2007 at 07:18 AM.
    I don't understand.. you guys are getting slower connect times with your GPS receiver because you loaded the new TT6 software? Or did you guys purchase the new GPS hardware also?
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    I noticed the same problem right off. Takes 3-5 minutes to find the GPS signal where TT5 only took 30 secs.

Thsi seems to me to be a firmware glitch and they will have to address this issue with an update.

That is a GPS problem, not a TomTom problem. Try letting it acquire before you start moving.
    Quote Originally Posted by BentEcho View Post
    I don't understand.. you guys are getting slower connect times with your GPS receiver because you loaded the new TT6 software? Or did you guys purchase the new GPS hardware also?
    No, the time it takes the GPS to aquire a signal remains unchanged, at least in my case and I assume the others. The problem is the time it takes the Treo to connect via Bluetooth to the GPS. It was extremely fast with TT5 and take a minute of longer with TT6.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    FWIW, I see no difference with my hardwired GPS.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    It's as the other poster said. . . it's the blue tooth connection which had spotty connection times for me with the nav 5, but it always connected at some point.

This new upgrade is causing some of us to have real long connection times whether you try and connect before moving or while driving.

I can place "the same GPS unit" that I used with my Nav 5 and also my 650 on my porch railing pointing up at a clear sky and it can still take up to 5 minutes to connect. Last I checked, my house isn't on the move

My guess is it might depend on what other software we are using that may conflict with finding the GPS. I do use a Treo wireless bluetooth headset.

Or it might be that it depends on what GPS unit you are using since this affects some of us and not others. I use the I-Trek m3 which I bought at Semsons. I think this brand is one that is made for them. I've always had spotty blue tooth connections times with the 700p anyway but it works most of the time within a minute.

Unless of course you are a few miles from a possible exit and you turn it on real fast from being totally off so you can quickly double check if this is your correct exit. But of course, in this case it never works
    Last edited by Expidia; 02/01/2007 at 07:17 AM.
    My problem was since I already had some TomTom Nav 5 files on the card even though I deleted the maps there are still other files that can cause conflicts. They prefer you to start with a formatted 1 GB card, because it's easier for them to diagnose any issues without having any conflicts from the files when you are doing the initial upgrade.

Since I was on hold for 50 minutes I had time to take my 2 GB card out that has my other palm stuff on it and format a 1 GB card and installed the same choices I already had in the TomTom Home program and installed them back onto the new card. Just as the tech answered I was putting the a 1 GB card into the 700 and the app started it's automatic upgrade. So it was the old card with my other stuff on it that was giving me problems.

But now that the TomTom software is updated to Nav 6 all I had to do was put the 2 GB card in and it ran fine.
    So Expidia, am I correct that I can install update (and new maps) to an empty card 2gb card, insert in treo, let it do its update thing, take out 2gb card, install TT6 & maps to my >1/2 full 4gb card, insert card in Treo, and I'll be fine?

If correct so far, am I also correct that I should manually delete old maps from 4gb card before putting new maps on?

Finally, what about the OLD contacts navigator on my 4gb card -- manually delete?

Sorry for so many questions. My update arrived yesterday, and I'm taking a trip to AZ one week from today. I am somewhat strapped for time, and am worried the update will not work correctly, leaving me without TT5 or 6.

[As an aside, anybody know if windshield mounts are legal in AZ?]

Thanks.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    So Expidia, am I correct that I can install update (and new maps) to an empty card 2gb card, insert in treo, let it do its update thing, take out 2gb card, install TT6 & maps to my >1/2 full 4gb card, insert card in Treo, and I'll be fine?

If correct so far, am I also correct that I should manually delete old maps from 4gb card before putting new maps on?

Finally, what about the OLD contacts navigator on my 4gb card -- manually delete?

Sorry for so many questions. My update arrived yesterday, and I'm taking a trip to AZ one week from today. I am somewhat strapped for time, and am worried the update will not work correctly, leaving me without TT5 or 6.

[As an aside, anybody know if windshield mounts are legal in AZ?]

Thanks.
    You might as well delte the old maps because Nav 6 won't read them anyway (I don't think it would)

I deleted my old maps off my 2 gb card first because that card won't hold both the old and the new maps at once and your palm stuff too! It won't let you do it anyway because when you press the update button it's only going to tell you there is not enough room on a 2 gb card but it would have the room on the 4 gb card. So I had to delete them first. I wouldn't leave any old maps on the 4 gb card because Tomtom is quirky enough as it is so why take a chance to have old map files that could cause conflicts.

So the new nav 6 application updates the Treo the first time you put the card back into your Treo. It's as you have said . . . you can now downlaod new maps to the 4 gb card and put that one into the Treo and your good to go.

Others have said they had no problems using a card with other stuff on it already in order to update the Nav 6 program but I had to use a fresh formatted card to get it to update.

I have everything (the full U.S. 1.4 mb) map on my 2 gb card and I still left the 1 gb card with the 890 mb U.S.map on that card for now because I wanted to switch it back and forth to see how much more detail or POI's the bigger map has.

Since you already have a clean empty card start with that one so you can update the program without any conflicts. After that you can save maps to any card you want.

I didn't do anything with the contacts files. I'll have to check to see if it automatically deleted the old files.
    Last edited by Expidia; 02/01/2007 at 09:01 PM.
    Others have said they had no problems using a card with other stuff on it already in order to update the Nav 6 program but I had to use a fresh formatted card to get it to update.
    Expidia, thanks. Anyone else care to chime in on this issue?
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    It appeared to me this was an upgrade only in the since that if you had a product code for Nav 5, they gave you a discount. I deleted all reference to TT and Navigator from my Treo and card including contact navigation. I left everything else on my card. After installing everything to my card through TT Home, I inserted it, it started, I registered through the same method I did with Nav five. It was just like installing it for the first time.
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    It appeared to me this was an upgrade only in the since that if you had a product code for Nav 5, they gave you a discount. I deleted all reference to TT and Navigator from my Treo and card including contact navigation. I left everything else on my card. After installing everything to my card through TT Home, I inserted it, it started, I registered through the same method I did with Nav five. It was just like installing it for the first time.
    I did exactly the same thing. While TT may call it an upgrade, it would appear to be an entirely new product. I did not format my SD card before starting. I just made sure I backed up the card first, but otherwise left everything else on the card. There does not appear to be a need to start with a clean SD card.
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast