Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    anyone know if you lose all of your favorites when you get the upgrade? Do you have to put all of your favorites back in the phone?

Is the entire US on one map? Or are they broken up into separates like Mid atlantic, south, west etc..?
    Last edited by k_gilly; 01/22/2007 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by k_gilly View Post
    anyone know if you lose all of your favorites when you get the upgrade? Do you have to put all of your favorites back in the phone?

Is the entire US on one map? Or are they broken up into separates like Mid atlantic, south, west etc..?
    Can't answer the first since I didn't try to move my favorites.

You can select the entire US if you choose. I think it's about 1.4gb. Or, you can choose areas as in TT5.
    Last edited by JohnH59; 01/23/2007 at 08:58 AM. Reason: accidentally put mb instead of gb for file size
    Global Posts
    605 Global Posts
    Erm, I think you mean 1.4gb.

I also noticed that there are overlapping areas in TT6's map database depending on where you go more frequently. For example, you get load VA,TN,SC,NC or FL, GA, NC, SC. So that's tough for me in the Carolinas because Georgia & Virginia are both relatively frequent destinations for both work & personal reasons.
    anyone know how to transfer your favorites into the upgraded maps? It says something on the TOMTOM website that you can find the file on the sdcard, but I cannot find it at all. I want to get the upgraded maps, but not if I can't transfer my favorites over. I don't have all of the addresses for my favorites. Plus it will be a big pain to do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by k_gilly View Post
    anyone know how to transfer your favorites into the upgraded maps? It says something on the TOMTOM website that you can find the file on the sdcard, but I cannot find it at all. I want to get the upgraded maps, but not if I can't transfer my favorites over. I don't have all of the addresses for my favorites. Plus it will be a big pain to do it.
    I do not know. However, Nav 6 reported a limit to the number of favorites somewhere around ten (it might have been doing some memory management that is not obvious.) On the other hand, I find that finding addresses is trivial. What with previous destinations, contacts, and POIs, I really do not use or miss favorites very much. Not like Mapopolis where I relied heavily on favorites.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/23/2007 at 05:24 PM.
    I am used to Tomtom5 and have been using it for over a year and a half. I just recently upgraded to Tomtom6. The problem is that it seems like College/University POI's suck compared to tomtom5. I'm in Montreal Quebec Canada BTW.

Anyone have the same experience as me?
    Last edited by fromkrypton; 01/24/2007 at 05:03 PM.
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm on my 3rd T650. I had to call for my activation code for my third Treo. I ordered the TT6 upgrade last week and ordered a T700P this week. Will I have to call for another activation code or should I be able to install this like it's the first time? Thanks.
    Visor Deluxe->Visor Edge (Upgraded for $100.00 just by giving them the Serial # of my Visor Deluxe plus I got to keep the Deluxe. Those were the days!)-> Palm M-505->M-515->Tungsten T->Zire 72->Treo 650->->Treo 700P->Treo 755P. Plus various replacements. 8130 Pearl....Sorry
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch3 View Post
    Does anyone know the answer to this? I'm on my 3rd T650. I had to call for my activation code for my third Treo. I ordered the TT6 upgrade last week and ordered a T700P this week. Will I have to call for another activation code or should I be able to install this like it's the first time? Thanks.
    You will have to call for the second activation code. With TT5, I was able to install on two devices without having to contact them. When I got my TT6 upgrade, I had to call them to get a second code for my PDA that stay in my vehicle. They were curtious and friendly have being on hold for at least 20 minutes. Actually, it was about 20 minutes on one day and 20 minutes another day. The first day, I was on hold for about 20 minutes and their business hours ended so they changed the message from "our representatives are still busy" to "our ours are from 8 to 5, please back during regular hours".
    Global Posts
    860 Global Posts
    Thanks, but I guess should have mentioned that I don't plan on installing it on my T650 just the 700. Do you think I'll still have to call?
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    this is just a basic question, but it was something that i sorely miss from my Garmin. Is there any way to get the TomTom to tell you what side of the street your destination will be on, or what the address of that POI is? it really helps if i know what number to look for i've found :P
    Thanks, but I guess should have mentioned that I don't plan on installing it on my T650 just the 700. Do you think I'll still have to call?
    The question is, has this software, 6, been activated on any other device? If so, then yes.
    Guys,

Did you uninstall TT5 app and maps before installing TT6?
    You get one install with TT6. If you have not activated it yet you are okay. If you have, you will have to call them and see if they will give you another code.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy22 View Post
    Guys,

I did not uninstall anything before installing TT6.
    Quote Originally Posted by Xsavior View Post
    this is just a basic question, but it was something that i sorely miss from my Garmin. Is there any way to get the TomTom to tell you what side of the street your destination will be on, or what the address of that POI is? it really helps if i know what number to look for i've found :P
    Not that I have found. At this point,that is the number one thing that I don't like about TT. I can handle it not telling me the name of the street to turn on, but I really wish it would tell me what side of the street the location is on. Especially when you are in a city that it is difficult to switch to the other side once you realize you are on the opposite side of your destination. TT misses addresses by half a block or so on some addresses, but that would not be as big a problem if it would say which side of the street it is on.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannyboy22 View Post
    Guys,

Yes and no. The installation process for TT6 is poorly documented IMO and is different than the installation process for TT5. Additionally, I couldn't find any instructions on how to upgrade from TT5 to TT6.

That said, here's what I experienced:
    1) You MUST remove your SD card from your Treo and insert it into a flash card reader (you may also be able to leave it in your Treo and use CardExport II or something like that, but I just used a card reader for maximum transfer speeds).

2) When you insert the SD card into your card reader, TomTom Home will recognize the card and will list the TomTom maps, TomTom Application and other files you have installed on the card. So what I did was delete all existing TomTom files using TomTom Home.

3) I then installed TomTom 6 for Palm along with the North America map and a couple of voices. I tried selecting the satellite files but this generates an error because they are not supported for the PalmOS version (even though a help topic on the TomTom web site says you can select them). I then transferred the files to the SD card.

4) After putting the SD card back in my Treo, I still had the old TomTom Nagivator and Contacts Navigator apps in my Treo's internal memory along with a Navigator application that was on the SD card. I tried running the Navigator app on the SD card and got a message indicating it was different than the version in internal memory. It appeared to replace the copy in internal memory, but then I ran into a bunch of problems. Eventually I deleted the copies of TomTom Navigator and Conctacts Navigator from my internal memory after running into the problems below.

5) First, TT6 kept screwing up my Treo's time setting and changing it to something like 6:00am (I was doing this around 10:00pm). This was triggering a bunch of automatic actions I have scheduled on my Treo (such as an automatic download from Audible.com, a few alarms, sync of Palmary Clock Wirless, etc.). I have no idea why it was doing this, but it was definitely being caused by TT6.

6) I then tried to register TT6 using my Treo, but after entering my product code it would go online then reset my Treo. I bounced between step 5 and step 6 about 4 times before using the manual registration method using www.ttcode.com. This finally allowed me to get a valid registation code that I could enter.

7) Once I entered the valid code, things seemed to stabilize but everything in TT6 was INCREDIBLY SLOW. I suspected this may have been because of the larger (1.4 GB) North America map I was using, so deleted it and installed a Western US map (about 300 MB?) which was MUCH faster to work with.

One of my big reasons for upgrading to TT6 was because they had a map with "full North America" coverage. Unfortunately, I think the size of this map makes everything else in TT6 almost unusably slow.

I'm also frustrated with the lack of detail about what exactly is covered in the different map files. For example, there is a "US & Canada" map that is about 800 MB in size and a "North America" map that is 1.4 GB in size. The pictures of both maps are exactly the same, so I have no idea what the North America map includes that the US & Canada map doesn't or why it is nearly double the size. I'd also like to know what, if anything, isn't included in the North America map as well as which maps need to be added to the US&Canada map to cover the same area as the North America map.

On the positive side, TomTom Home (and TT6) makes it easier to install maps than the process used in TT5. You can add downloadable POIs (such as all Baskin Robbins stores) and buy other maps (Europe and Austrailia). However, there is still room for improvement.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    I did not uninstall anything before installing TT6.

I just deleted TT5 before installing TT6. No problems with activation or anything else.
    Just curious, but which map files are people using and have you noticed any effects on the performance of TT6?

I'm wondering if I'm the only one seeing the performance problems with the larger maps or if there is somethign else on my Treo contributing to the problem.

Also, does anyone know (not just guessing) the differences between the "North America" and "US & Canada" maps?
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post
    Just curious, but which map files are people using and have you noticed any effects on the performance of TT6?

I'm wondering if I'm the only one seeing the performance problems with the larger maps or if there is somethign else on my Treo contributing to the problem.

Also, does anyone know (not just guessing) the differences between the "North America" and "US & Canada" maps?
    On one device I have the North America maps (1.4gb) and on the other I have the South Central US (216mb) The Treo 650 with the 1.4gb map may be a little slower, but not enough that I'm bothered. They are both just fine. When looking at the map when traveling, I may be about 10-20 feet past a street as the arrow on the screen passes it. But, if I'm using driving directions, that not a problem since I'm slowing down to get ready for the turn.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post

The only time I notice a slowdown is when I set up navigation to an address or POI, etc. It's something I can live with. I don't have any delays in the software while driving.
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast