Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    There is quite a bit of documentation, but, you don't see the link until after you install the Home application.

. . . on the pc desktop? Any hotsyncing required?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    The link in the Home software on the PC actually sends you to a PDF file on the TomTom web site.

No hotsyncing, use a card reader.
    Quote Originally Posted by jaharr View Post
    No. The instructions say to format the SD card on the Treo, switch it to the PC, then use the desktop application to install direct to the SD card. Then put the SD card in the Treo. Worked well for me, because my PC has an SD card slot on it.

[I was in CompUSA this AM. For forty dollars they had a usb connected reader that will read and write a dozen or more card formats.]
    Thanks JohnH59 & whmurray. I'm ordering my upgrade today.
    Just ordered mine today. Says it will ship in 3-4 weeks.

Anyone get theirs faster?
    Quote Originally Posted by BentEcho View Post
    Just ordered mine today. Says it will ship in 3-4 weeks.

Anyone get theirs faster?
    My order said the same thing. I received it within a week.
    Since the whole US can be saved in one card, can I get detailed navigation directions in the whole US?

Nav5 is limited to areas within the map selected and no map has the whole US nor can it be made to have the states allong your route.

Edit: TomTom claims version 6 does not have this limitation, just verifying before buying.
    Last edited by cvela90; 01/18/2007 at 08:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cvela90 View Post
    Since the whole US can be saved in one card, can I get detailed navigation directions in the whole US?

Nav5 is limited to areas within the map selected and no map has the whole US nor can it be made to have the states allong your route.

Edit: TomTom claims version 6 does not have this limitation, just verifying before buying.
    I think the answer to your question is yes. However, I am confused by your assertions about 5. I came across the US on "Major Roads" and the origin and destination maps. Points of interest along the route were available. I do not know how much better than that 6 is. There may still be some map management involved.
    I currently have Tomtom Nav 5 and TomTom Go. I've received the updated map and had updated the GO, and was trying to update the 700p as well. But due to the one device activation limit, I couldn't get the updated map to work. But the DVD allowed me to install Nav 6 software to my 700p. What's more interesting is that I extracted a file named "POI.dat" from the new map and replaced the old file in the map directory, and the updated POI works fine with old maps. So only thing I'm missing is the updated maps which I doubt contain many changes since I'm in East coast where there aren't that many road changes.

So in my case, I may pass on the upgrade since the software is updated and I have the updated POI's.
    Last edited by bestoverall; 01/19/2007 at 08:51 AM.
    Using the mayor roads maps is the only way to do it in 5 whmurray. That is not a problem unless one lives in the middle of nowhere (like me). One must plan the trip using the mayor roads map that will "dump you" somewhere near your destination with no idea on how to get to the address you need to go. I assume that one can then switch maps with a predefined favorite at the destination. Not particularly smooth.

Unless of course there's another way of routing with Mayor Roads that I have not figured out...
    To gregmoserCTS: I use AlwaysOn 1.2 at http://www.persicke.de/palmfree.htm with TTN5/700P to keep the screen from sleeping.

To all: When will the full, software only version of TomTom NAVIGATOR 6 ship with the new Teleatlas maps dated 2006.10 (v665.1293)?

Is there anyway to tell from the external box if TTN6 has the new maps?

Quote Originally Posted by gregmoserCTS View Post
    I got the Nav 5 and on my 700p I cant seem to keep the power on. I tried powercontrol, which keeps the power on but for some reason my bt gets turned off now. PDA stays on but looses the BT connection.

What are yall using to remain on? I can't hit up arrow every minute to maintain power on a long trip
    With the upgrade from TT5 to TT6 it had new maps. I don't know if it had the specific maps you indicated. But, I know they are newer. There are several roads in my area that were not there on TT5.
    My question is why this is limited to one install. It TT5 allowed you to install on 2 devices.
    My order said the same thing. I received it within a week.
    I ordered mine just over a week ago and still haven't received it.

Did you get an email confirmation that it had shipped (like they say you should receive), or did it just show up in the mail?
    Quote Originally Posted by JAndrews View Post
    I ordered mine just over a week ago and still haven't received it.

Did you get an email confirmation that it had shipped (like they say you should receive), or did it just show up in the mail?
    It just showed up in the mail. I never received anything from them. That is why I was surprised when it showed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    My question is why this is limited to one install. It TT5 allowed you to install on 2 devices.
    That was my initial complaint as well. I was able to get another activation code for my second PDA that I keep in my truck all the time. I had to call customer service and stay on hold for about twenty minutes. But, once I got to talk to someone, she took care of the activation. In fact, she said it was going to take a little while and could she call me back. I thought, "oh great, another TT support BS." But, she actually called me back in about 30 minutes with another activation code for my other PDA. I have had terrible support from them in the past and I fully expected for them to tell me that I would have to buy an additional code. But, to my surprise, they actually took care of this one properly.
    That was my initial complaint as well. I was able to get another activation code for my second PDA that I keep in my truck all the time. I had to call customer service and stay on hold for about twenty minutes. But, once I got to talk to someone, she took care of the activation. In fact, she said it was going to take a little while and could she call me back. I thought, "oh great, another TT support BS." But, she actually called me back in about 30 minutes with another activation code for my other PDA. I have had terrible support from them in the past and I fully expected for them to tell me that I would have to buy an additional code. But, to my surprise, they actually took care of this one properly.
    Interesting you had that experience with them... I had the opposite..
    I got screwed buying a Magellan and was told Europe maps would be available for it. Well they released a newer model and never made Europe maps or an maps for my model again... I had purchased it with the specific reason that I was going on a long trip to Europe...

Anyway TT4 was no longer being sold and TT 5 was not out. So with less than a week to go before my trip, TT USA got their first delivery from europe.. He overnighted it to me... None of their distributed had received shipment, He sold to me direct although he wasn't supposed to and even talked me through installing Europe TT Go maps on my 650.

had a couple of installation issues and called him on a Saturday and helped me with them. Tom Tom made my trip SOOO much easier, I am very thankful they were so helpful for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by cglaguna View Post
    Interesting you had that experience with them... I had the opposite..
    I got screwed buying a Magellan and was told Europe maps would be available for it. Well they released a newer model and never made Europe maps or an maps for my model again... I had purchased it with the specific reason that I was going on a long trip to Europe...

Anyway TT4 was no longer being sold and TT 5 was not out. So with less than a week to go before my trip, TT USA got their first delivery from europe.. He overnighted it to me... None of their distributed had received shipment, He sold to me direct although he wasn't supposed to and even talked me through installing Europe TT Go maps on my 650.

had a couple of installation issues and called him on a Saturday and helped me with them. Tom Tom made my trip SOOO much easier, I am very thankful they were so helpful for me.
    I thought I was being positive about them. They gave me the second activation code without question. It just took time to get past being on hold. but, that may be out of their control.
    Quote Originally Posted by hlazar View Post
    I doubt that maps will ever be upgraded, by any company, over the internet
    I am pretty sure that my Garmin Nuvi 360 is doing the maps along with the software everytime I sync it. Probably my best experience with a GPS to date (forget the Magellans - horrible by comparison with TT and Garmin).
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Quote Originally Posted by nt_support View Post
    To gregmoserCTS: I use AlwaysOn 1.2 at http://www.persicke.de/palmfree.htm with TTN5/700P to keep the screen from sleeping.
    Thanks! I'll give that a twirl.
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast