Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
    Thank You so much. I'm going to submit my upgrade as soon as I get back home and get my registration #.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 155 View Post
    I was hoping someone who already ordered it and received it could answer it before I ordered.

BTW, I picked up TomTom Nav 6 (software only) for $130 from Semsons. They have great customer service and quick shipping. $50 is a lot better than $130 though. If you don't have a Bluetooth GPS, buying one of their package deals is a much better deal, because you get to pick the type of GPS so you could get a cheaper bundle with better hardware from them or one of the various other gps sites.

http://www.semsons.com/tona6somaofu1.html
    Ya I bought mine from them too about 2 years ago with a package deal Nav 5 and the I-Trek M3 at the time for around $239 I think.

I also ordered the short antenna today from Zoti. I couldn't stand looking at the stock antenna anymore now that I've seen the short one.
    Last edited by Expidia; 01/12/2007 at 06:02 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    Joad: wow you are pretty bitter here on their licensing system! They are only trying to protect their product from being stolen.
    I too found it frustrating when I first got it two years ago but I think they have mended their ways on customer service because there are so many competitors out there now with the same product.
    Do you work for Garmin (just kidding) or maybe from the tone of your voice (since your posting has such a bitter overtone) it may sound to them that you're trying to steal their software (just kidding again, I'm such a kidder ).
    Yah, mebbe I had a bit too many coffees that day before posting.

I don't work for Garmin (would consider it though) - but I did buy a Nuvi to check it out and the automatic updating of maps and programs straight off the internet just by plugging into your PC is brilliant and common sense to me. Others will probably catch up soon.

If you read my post again, you'll see I basically said that being a "legit" licensee, it's frustrating to see how Tom Tom has basically boxed themselves in with their ridiculously worded contract that legally says you need to buy another full license if you can't prove you purchased a "new" replacement device. Sure, (some of) their nice customer service people will make an "exception" to that policy when you beg them to, but that still gives THEM all control over whether or not their expensive license will have to be repurchased if your Treo falls into the toilet or you decide to change to using another one of your many Palm devices (with a bigger screen) instead. Once you activate it - you're stuck with the device you activated it to. If you decide later that you'd rather have it on your Lifedrive instead of your Treo (because the screen's a "little" better) - that's a problem for them...

Hackers will always figure out ways around paying for a license anyway, and they have hacks for this one. I just noted that their license is essentially tying the software to only the device you put it on - you *HAVE* to activate it *BEFORE* you can test it out on the device! 10 minutes after testing it on the device I activated it I realized I would rather have put it on another - and I was screwed because the code won't reactivate. I have found their customer service helpful - but "hit or miss" about whether or not they have flexibilty about migrating the license - some say "sure" and some say "absolutely not." They should either release a "demo" of the program for you to try out before committing, or allow you to change devices within "x" minutes/days after activating if you find the device doesn't work with their software well. Right now, if you aren't sure which device you want to run it on your only safe choice is to download a patched version - which seems ironic to me if their "goal" is to prevent pirating....
    Last edited by Joad; 01/13/2007 at 03:15 PM.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    Yah, mebbe I had a bit too many coffees that day before posting.

I don't work for Garmin (would consider it though) - but I did buy a Nuvi to check it out and the automatic updating of maps and programs straight off the internet just by plugging into your PC is brilliant and common sense to me. Others will probably catch up soon.

If you read my post again, you'll see I basically said that being a "legit" licensee, it's frustrating to see how Tom Tom has basically boxed themselves in with their ridiculously worded contract that legally says you need to buy another full license if you can't prove you purchased a "new" replacement device. Sure, (some of) their nice customer service people will make an "exception" to that policy when you beg them to, but that still gives THEM all control over whether or not their expensive license will have to be repurchased if your Treo falls into the toilet or you decide to change to using another one of your many Palm devices (with a bigger screen) instead. Once you activate it - you're stuck with the device you activated it to. If you decide later that you'd rather have it on your Lifedrive instead of your Treo (because the screen's a "little" better) - that's a problem for them...

Hackers will always figure out ways around paying for a license anyway, and they have hacks for this one. I just noted that their license is essentially tying the software to only the device you put it on - you *HAVE* to activate it *BEFORE* you can test it out on the device! 10 minutes after testing it on the device I activated it I realized I would rather have put it on another - and I was screwed because the code won't reactivate. I have found their customer service helpful - but "hit or miss" about whether or not they have flexibilty about migrating the license - some say "sure" and some say "absolutely not." They should either release a "demo" of the program for you to try out before committing, or allow you to change devices within "x" minutes/days after activating if you find the device doesn't work with their software well. Right now, if you aren't sure which device you want to run it on your only safe choice is to download a patched version - which seems ironic to me if their "goal" is to prevent pirating....
    What if say a Husband and Wife each owned a Smartphone. They should give you two licenses IMO.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    What if say a Husband and Wife each owned a Smartphone. They should give you two licenses IMO.
    If I could get my S.O. to use a GPS I'd BUY her another license!

It's a hard call as a developer in these situations, but on the user end I was really ticked off that I wasted the license activation on a PDA device that is close to dying (and I won't replace, at least with a similar model because the company is out of business!). I won't be able to show them a "receipt" or any evidence of purchasing a "new" device, as I'd just normally move it over to something else I've already owned for a while.

There's no way to evaluate which is the better unit to use- you have to "activate" (permanently commit) the software to a physical device before you can evaluate it!

Not saying they don't have the "right" to word things as they want, but I specifically called Tom Tom BEFORE activating and they said transferring devices can happen regardless of what the license says. After activating, the (different) rep I talked with said absolutely the opposite. IMHO that's no way to treat a paying customer, and only encourages people not to pay at all for your software.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    Global Posts
    313 Global Posts
    Tom Tom home allows upgrades over the internet and was installed with the upgrade dvd. I doubt that maps will ever be upgraded, by any company, over the internet
    Henry L lazarus hlazar@netaxs.com
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/
    www.netaxs.com/~hlazar/god.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Joad View Post
    If I could get my S.O. to use a GPS I'd BUY her another license!

It's a hard call as a developer in these situations, but on the user end I was really ticked off that I wasted the license activation on a PDA device that is close to dying (and I won't replace, at least with a similar model because the company is out of business!). I won't be able to show them a "receipt" or any evidence of purchasing a "new" device, as I'd just normally move it over to something else I've already owned for a while.

There's no way to evaluate which is the better unit to use- you have to "activate" (permanently commit) the software to a physical device before you can evaluate it!

Not saying they don't have the "right" to word things as they want, but I specifically called Tom Tom BEFORE activating and they said transferring devices can happen regardless of what the license says. After activating, the (different) rep I talked with said absolutely the opposite. IMHO that's no way to treat a paying customer, and only encourages people not to pay at all for your software.
    When I bought TT5, I was allowed to activate on two devices. I got the TT6 upgrade yesterday and was disappointed that when I tried to activate it on the second device I was told the product was already activated. I will wait a week and then try to activate the second device again. If I recall, that is what I did with TT5.
    Quote Originally Posted by dhsimon View Post

<snip>

One surprise was that you can't load the new maps onto the Treo through a hotsync with the PC. You need an SD card reader, which I didn't have, so I had to buy one.
    <snip>
    DHSimon: I just want to be clear for my own understanding. In order to upload maps to the SD card, you must use a DVD drive and a SD card reader? That's got to be faster than performing a hot sync!

Thanks in advance for confirming or rebutting my assumption.
    Last edited by Be@ker; 01/14/2007 at 02:18 AM. Reason: it really would be nice if I could learn to spell one of these days...

Napoleon, don't be jealous because I stay at home and chat with babes online all day. Besides, we both know I'm training to be a cage fighter.
    Global Posts
    441 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Be@ker View Post
    DHSimon: I just want to be clear for my own understanding. In order to upload maps to the SD card, you must use a DVD drive and a SD card reader? That's got to be faster than performing a hot sync!

Yep, you are correct. DVD drive and SD card reader are required. No documentation comes with the upgrade. I found out how to install on TT's website. Loaded the whole US map in a matter of a couple of minutes. Definitely faster!
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post
    The upgrade is especially worth it if the contacts are integrated into the main program and you don't have to open them separately.
    That is the case. "Navigate to" now has Contacts as an option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Be@ker View Post

It is a lot faster but still takes a while. Even for 5, I put maps on the SD card directly, putting the SD card in the reader on the computer.
    Quote Originally Posted by 155 View Post
    Does that mean if I have TomTom Nav 5 that I can get TomTom Nav 6 for only $50 more, or does it just upgrade the maps and not the software?
    You get a new DVD with maps and Nav 6 software.
    Quote Originally Posted by wbwjr View Post
    Yep, you are correct. DVD drive and SD card reader are required. No documentation comes with the upgrade. I found out how to install on TT's website. Loaded the whole US map in a matter of a couple of minutes. Definitely faster!
    There is quite a bit of documentation, but, you don't see the link until after you install the Home application.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59 View Post
    There is quite a bit of documentation, but, you don't see the link until after you install the Home application.
    You can download the TomTom Navigator manual (PDF format) from here: http://www.tomtom.com/lib/doc/nav6/manual.htm

Installation instructions begin on page 2.
    I haven't posted here in a LONG time. But I got the e-mail from TomTom, and decided to upgrade.

But I only have a 1gb card now. So my silly question: Is there an easy way to transfer everything from one card to the other? In addition to my current TT5 maps, I have a bunch of programs on there.

I can't believe I haven't come across this problem before. Can someone point me to a simple tutorial? Thanks in advance...
    Quote Originally Posted by pbryon View Post
    I haven't posted here in a LONG time. But I got the e-mail from TomTom, and decided to upgrade.

But I only have a 1gb card now. So my silly question: Is there an easy way to transfer everything from one card to the other? In addition to my current TT5 maps, I have a bunch of programs on there.

I can't believe I haven't come across this problem before. Can someone point me to a simple tutorial? Thanks in advance...
    The simple answer to your question is, "no," but it is not very helpful.

I formatted a new 2G card using the Treo, put it into my computer, started TomTom Home, and installed to that card according to the instructions for installing to a Palm.

My plan is to install cardexport.prc on the Treo and then copy from my two 1G cards to the one in the Treo. cardexport makes the SD card in the Treo appear as a drive on the computer to which the Treo is linked.
    Quote Originally Posted by pbryon View Post

You can transfer from one card to another easily with a card reader. Make a folder on your desktop and copy the contents of the old card to the folder. Then place the new card in the card reader and copy the contents of the folder to the new card. Make sure the two cards are named the same and all is fine. I have done this numerous times.
    Can anyone with TomTom6 confirm the size of the individual maps? Currently I have the Ontario-Quebec (Canada) map installed on my card and it's a total of about 40Meg. From some posts I get the impression that there are no separate maps and you have to install all of North America in one shot. That would mean going to a 2Gig card for me immediately.

Also, can someone from Canada indicate how up-to-date the new maps are. For example, in TT5, my street address doesn't exist (2444 River Rd, Oxford on Rideau, Ontario). And the streets just off River Rd to the south are unnamed (Settler's Way, Garrison Drive, Harmony Way, etc). Lastly, does the address 56 The Queensway, Toronto exist yet?

Thanks

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    Can anyone with TomTom6 confirm the size of the individual maps? Currently I have the Ontario-Quebec (Canada) map installed on my card and it's a total of about 40Meg. From some posts I get the impression that there are no separate maps and you have to install all of North America in one shot. That would mean going to a 2Gig card for me immediately.

Bob
    I can't answer for Canada, but the USA maps include maps for individual states or for groups of states. Lots of options for less than a full 2GB.

John
    Quote Originally Posted by johnhboyd View Post
    I can't answer for Canada, but the USA maps include maps for individual states or for groups of states. Lots of options for less than a full 2GB.

John
    Thanks. That means they probably have individual (or groups of) provinces. But even if they have a single map of Canada, it won't be a problem. In TomTom 5, the entire Canada map was 86Meg. We've got a lot of empty space up here

Bob
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast