1.    #1  
    i bought the treo online from the palm educator store. i'm still w/i the 30 days to return. can i return or exchange a treo purchased through the online store at one of their retail locations? i'd rather not have to spend time and money doing the whole shipping thing back and forth.

it's cosmetic, but since i still have time to return it, should i do it? and can i do it?

any experience with returns/exchanges w/ palm?

thanks.
    Last edited by vexingv; 01/11/2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: udpate
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    You cannot return it to the Palm Retail store if you bought the unit online.

I had already gone through this and ended up having to send my unit back to palm via a trackable shipping number.

Be sure to contact Palm for RMA Number.
    I just noticed two hairline cracks on my week old 680. I carry it in my pocket and the plastic around the screen is really thin.
    My 650 had a crack around the chrome as well but it didn't bother me. But because I have insurance and the audio jack went out, they replaced it for free at a sprint store.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    44 Global Posts
    I've also got a hairline crack near on the chrome part, near the Green button. Is this a common thing?
    My two cracks--one is right next to the green button and the other is right below the red button...hmmm I wonder if the cracks are caused by pressing those buttons or whether it is from carrying it in my pants pocket and when I sit down it puts pressure on the entire face of the unit causing cracks. As long as the chrome surround doesn't fall off I suppose that I can live with them.
    What I'd worry about is that if your putting enough pressure on the face to crack the plastic, your probably stressing it enough to crack the screen. Perhaps you should consider using an alternative placement like a front pocket or a shirt pocket.
    Yeah, no more pants pocket. i didn't realize how tight the fabric pulls when i sit down. I actually bought a plastic snap on cover at the mall today. I think this would have prevented the cracks, wish I bought it earlier. But really the surrounding plastic shouldn't be this delicate.
    Last edited by robby818; 02/11/2007 at 07:13 PM.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    you can probably pick up a 680 dummy phone on ebay and replace it.
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    you can probably pick up a 680 dummy phone on ebay and replace it.
    thanks! great idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by monomer View Post
    I've also got a hairline crack near on the chrome part, near the Green button. Is this a common thing?
    I don't know how common it is but mine was about an inch up from the bottom above the green key on my 650.

[PHP][/PHP]
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

These stress cracks became common in some 650s. I returned several because eventually they spread throughout the entire face place, mostly in the upper right section on the ones that I had. I haven't noticed it with my 680 yet. I had insurance with Sprint, which made replacing easy, because Palm would not admit to the fault.
    "Work like you donít need the money, love like youíve never been hurt, and dance like no one is watching.Ē
    --- Satchel Paige
    Just to follow up:
    I bought a dummy phone off ebay for $40. The only hiccup was that the dummy phones are held together in a few spots with some very strong blue glue. Using some force, I got the battery cover off thankfully without damaging it and then i had to pry out the glued in stylus. After that it was simple. Just unscrew four torx screws and pry apart the front from the back.

The dummy phones have quite a few usable parts including the fragile bezel, keyboard, nav. buttons, sd card cover, side buttons, lens cover, front cover, and back cover.

I'm holding off on replacing my original bezel. I can live with the two cracks and since I put the cover on I have not seen new cracks so I'll wait until I really need to replace the piece.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    much congrat's!
    Wow, $40 seems like a lot to me for a dummy phone, but I guess the alternative was even more epensive for you.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    I thought it was a little steep too. It was actually $30 + shipping. ebay is a seller's market. But I now have a bunch of spare parts that might come in handy someday. the fake screen is kind of funny.
    If you have kids, you could put it back together and let them play pretend with it.