View Poll Results: Will you switch from Treo to iPhone?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can't wait

62 23.22%
  • I am not sure

72 26.97%
  • No, I will stick with Treo

130 48.69%
  • I will use both

3 1.12%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    700p and Palm software looks old/dated in comparison. And, thank you Verizon for giving me the chance to switch for free...

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/12/v...f-their-contr/
    i might be dedicated treo user, but with the iphone i dont have to carry a brick.
    I just wanted to comment on this- How the heck can you people say it's a brick?!

Good lord. I'm a tiny little 5 foot tall girl, I'm practically ELFEN for chrissakes, and I find the Treo to be a very comfortable size! I cannot understand why all you guys with your big sausage thumbs think it's too big. If you have any complaints about the Treo's keyboard you're going to HATE the iPhone's keyboard. I don't get the whole "smaller is better" mentality. I'd rather have a larger device with a full keyboard & features out the wazoo than an itsy witsy cute little fashion phone.
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    gotta have my DocsToGo
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KabukiAssassin View Post
    I just wanted to comment on this- How the heck can you people say it's a brick?!

Good lord. I'm a tiny little 5 foot tall girl, I'm practically ELFEN for chrissakes, and I find the Treo to be a very comfortable size! I cannot understand why all you guys with your big sausage thumbs think it's too big. If you have any complaints about the Treo's keyboard you're going to HATE the iPhone's keyboard. I don't get the whole "smaller is better" mentality. I'd rather have a larger device with a full keyboard & features out the wazoo than an itsy witsy cute little fashion phone.
    LOL! Amen, sister! As a 5'1" girl, I also marvel that everyone wants a smaller device. I love that the Treo feels secure in my hands.
  5. wcj
    I would like someone to correct me if I am wrong, but according to the research I have done, the iPhone has no application for scheduilng events or appointments. This is a deal killer omission for me, and I would think a lot of others as well.

I know that there is a calendar button, but, far as I can tell, that's exactly what it is, a calendar, a great calendar, but with no provision for scheduling.

To be honest, this is such basic function for a "smart phone" I don't understand how a phone can call itself one without this capability.

I am hoping someone can prove me wrong about the iPhone. It seems otherwise capable of doing everything I want it to, and with style. If it can do what I want it to, I like and want this phone.

Also, in the Treo v iPhone debate. Style is nice, very nice. But, in the end, isn't the real issue what the phone can do? It seems to me that a Treo can accomplish virtually everything the iPhone can, plus a lot more, although in a more workman-like fashion, with less flash and pizzaz.

Bill
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wcj View Post
    I know that there is a calendar button, but, far as I can tell, that's exactly what it is, a calendar, a great calendar, but with no provision for scheduling.

To be honest, this is such basic function for a "smart phone" I don't understand how a phone can call itself one without this capability.
    Are you saying that iPhone has a Calendar button that shows only blank calendar pages with no ability to input actual appointments and to-dos? And further you are saying that you researched this issue to arrive at this conclusion? You're joking, right??
  7. wcj
    I sincerely wish I was joking.

As I indicated, the calendar seems to be a good one with a number of alternate views. An excelent calendar, but just that, a calendar.

I have not found any reference anywhere to any means of maintianing schedules even close to what we can do with the standard Treo application, not to mention third parties.

To me, that's a deal killer if true. Its one of the key things I do with my Treo.
    I strongly suspect that, for many of us, that is a key Treo function.

Bill
    Global Posts
    562 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wcj View Post
    I have not found any reference anywhere to any means of maintianing schedules even close to what we can do with the standard Treo application, not to mention third parties.
    "iPhone also includes a calendar application that allows calendars to be automatically synced with your PC or Mac."

I'm guessing this also means that you can enter info in the iPhone's Calendar and have it sync to your computer as well. Otherwise they would have used "download" rather than "sync."

See this as well:

http://blog.spanningsync.com/

I think you are worried about something which can't possibly be true.....
    Quote Originally Posted by dcpmark View Post
    "iPhone also includes a calendar application that allows calendars to be automatically synced with your PC or Mac."

I'm guessing this also means that you can enter info in the iPhone's Calendar and have it sync to your computer as well. Otherwise they would have used "download" rather than "sync."

See this as well:

http://blog.spanningsync.com/

I think you are worried about something which can't possibly be true.....
    Without support for Outlook, what are they going to sync the calender with?
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    they will probably sync calendar to google or yahoo. which isn't a bad idea I feel.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Global Posts
    292 Global Posts
    Since the iPhone wont exist for six months, all the discussion now is vaporware. I'll keep using the 700P for now and see what happens day to day, while everyone without the iPhone and a Palm smartphone will be left six months behind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    Without support for Outlook, what are they going to sync the calender with?
    Mac's have a Calendar system called iCal, which the iPhone will almost certainly sync with.

It's hard to say what Windows users with iPhone's will use though. Maybe it will sync to the new Windows Calendar in Vista? Maybe they will port iCal to Windows. Who knows.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I thought iCal also. But I didn't see anywhere mentioning SyncML. which is why I thought google/yahoo. having both them on stage at the keynote was impressive.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by gamoses View Post
    LOL! Amen, sister! As a 5'1" girl, I also marvel that everyone wants a smaller device. I love that the Treo feels secure in my hands.
    I'm constantly amazed with the obsession to make devices minicule. I guess it's handy to have them so small you can nearly carry them in your wallet nowadays - but I prefer them BIG enough so that they don't slip out of my hand when I'm using them, especially when they cost $500-600 apiece. I'm old enough to remember when that used to be a lot of money. In fact, killing off 1/3rd of the battery life to make the Treo 680 a few hairs shorter seems completely stupid. I'm sure Palm started obsessing on that because of the size debate - when they had so many other things to fix they ended up wrecking battery life. And it's apparently the "it's tooooo big!!!" crybabies we have to thank - who will be buying iphones (or whatever the latest "hot" phone is) anyway. If Palm keeps trying to appease the "trend" groupies, the Treo is surely doomed. If Palm gets their act together soon and concentrates on the STRENGTHs of the Treo they will have a solid market for quite some time.
    Treo 755s in good condition available on ebay for $50-$75. No need to pay for insurance or buy a Pre.
    After the pathetic support I have recieved for the 700p through verizon and Palm I am too eager to switch from verizon to cingular and from palm to apple or at least blackberry. I have used palm since 1998, and I think I am officially washing my hands of them.
    Quote Originally Posted by vdz415 View Post
    who say there wouldnt be 3rd party apps . theres a lot of 3rd party widgets for the mac
    Steve Jobs said there wouldn't be any 3rd party apps in a New York Times interview.

From the New York Times interview:

“We define everything that is on the phone,” he said. “You don’t want your phone to be like a PC. The last thing you want is to have loaded three apps on your phone and then you go to make a call and it doesn’t work anymore. These are more like iPods than they are like computers.”

The iPhone, he insisted, would not look like the rest of the wireless industry.

“These are devices that need to work, and you can’t do that if you load any software on them,” he said. “That doesn’t mean there’s not going to be software to buy that you can load on them coming from us. It doesn’t mean we have to write it all, but it means it has to be more of a controlled environment.”

Article Link:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2007/01/11/te...=1&oref=slogin
    Global Posts
    207 Global Posts
    Oh, so you want the iphone to reset while runny crappy 3rd party apps? The iphone will obviously provide support for 3rd party apps just like it will eventually be available in a 3g model. It will take a while for apple to safeguard the os from 3rd party induced conflicts. The iphone is already so much better than the treo but most people in this forum can only talk about 3rd party apps or 3g when palm os cannot even support wifi and evdo or even edge at the same time–how ridiculous is that? It's actually WORSE than what microsoft can do, that's embarassing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzan View Post
    Oh, so you want the iphone to reset while runny crappy 3rd party apps? The iphone will obviously provide support for 3rd party apps just like it will eventually be available in a 3g model. It will take a while for apple to safeguard the os from 3rd party induced conflicts. The iphone is already so much better than the treo but most people in this forum can only talk about 3rd party apps or 3g when palm os cannot even support wifi and evdo or even edge at the same time–how ridiculous is that? It's actually WORSE than what microsoft can do, that's embarassing.
    Once in a while my Treo resets or locks up because of third party apps, but it really isn't a big deal. Most developers want their software to work and not cause phone lockups etc.

My point is that the whole point of a smart phone is that it is a computer in a phone and the power in that is that it can run generalized applications that the manufacturer didn't even think about or try to make. To me this makes the iPhone comparable to a Blackberry, which to be fair does have third party apps, but they don't have a highly robust user base of them, because most people who own them are corporate users who aren't interested in installing any extra programs on them.

The bottom line is that my first PDA was an Apple Newton that I loved, I've owned several palm pilots and I've owned several Pocket PC's and none of them ever had significant problems with third party applications causing excessive resets and if they did you would just erase them and stop using them. The excuse is crap and until the iPhone opens up it will not be a smart phone. More of a multimedia phone.
    Let's not get freaked out that iphone doesn't have calender capability now. They're probably dummy programs right now. Also on the size issue, if you don't put the Treo in your front pocket like a lot of us guys, then you really don't understand why a 6'6" guy like me or anyone else for that matter would want a slimmer design.
    Quote Originally Posted by sarantis View Post
    Let's not get freaked out that iphone doesn't have calender capability now. They're probably dummy programs right now. Also on the size issue, if you don't put the Treo in your front pocket like a lot of us guys, then you really don't understand why a 6'6" guy like me or anyone else for that matter would want a slimmer design.

I put my Treo in my pockets with absolutely no problems. I agree with the others, I think the Treos are a great form factor. Then again, I was actually considering buying the Treo 300 until the 600 came out, and that thing was a monster.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast