View Poll Results: Will you switch from Treo to iPhone?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can't wait

62 23.22%
  • I am not sure

72 26.97%
  • No, I will stick with Treo

130 48.69%
  • I will use both

3 1.12%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    No KB, third party apps? I'll stay with my 700p.

Usable keyboard, OS X app ports allowed, Sprint? I'll take one once the software library matures a bit.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    89 Global Posts
    This poll seems suspect to me.
    Once I can afford it I'd get both...one for work & play (treo 680) and the other for pure play and profiling (iPhone)..a lighter glossier sleeker phone is good for going to the gym, running, but for work and personal business I don't think it can compete atm!
    Quote Originally Posted by NextDream View Post
    This poll seems suspect to me.
    Suspect in which way? I think it's going to be hard to convince 700p users to switch to the iPhone. This poll does reside in the 700p Hardware forum.

I went from a Treo 650 (Edge) to a Treo 700p (EVDO) and I don't want to go back to Edge anytime soon plus Sprint's network is superior to Cingular's in my area.

Edge is like put the phone in your pocket do something and pull it out when the page loads. EVDO is like browse the internet.

I'm not going to be switching anytime soon.

I think Treo 680 users will want to get an iPhone in larger numbers.
    Global Posts
    61 Global Posts
    One thing that is not mentioned is the obvious choice of itunes/ipod on the device.

DRM sucks.
    Propriatary database structure and bizzare file system sctructure for your rip your own mp3s.

Tied to iTunes and other Apple sites ... NO THANKS. I prefer my pricavy.

WOW factor -- medium. iTunes/ipod software is a real downer for me personally.

My vote is also in the SD card slot camp. Drop your files on the card and let the music player find them automatically, not generate hashed names and database oriented lookups for file names ... That is just stupidness and was intended to 'prevent' mp3 copying FROM an iPod. It also forces the user to add music to the device via special programs, instead of just copying to the device.
    Global Posts
    325 Global Posts
    i might be dedicated treo user, but with the iphone i dont have to carry a brick.
    Quote Originally Posted by fondoo View Post
    i might be dedicated treo user, but with the iphone i dont have to carry a brick.
    But then you'd have to go to the gym to get the kind of Popeye forearms like the ones you can get using the Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Great write up and thanks for your thoughts!

If you need to carry a second tool (third party keyboard), wouldn't that defeat the idea of an 'all in one' device.
    Do you think the lack of a keyboard isn't a negative? I can't imagine using a touch screen to type anything more than a few characters.
    Hard to say at this point; I watched Steve Jobs type on it--granted, he probably rehearsed this over and over to get his speed up to the best possible--and it didn't seem that bad. I typed a few emails from the show floor on my Treo, and it was a drag. There were a few emails that couldn't wait, and had to be rather detailed, and I had no choice but to slog through with the Treo keyboard. I'm a professional studio musician by trade, a keyboard player, so my hand dexterity is very good, but I still find that, with my medium-to-large hands, the Treo keyboard is not easy for me to use. I expect the virtual kbd. to be about the same for me.

I have an external Palm kbd. from back in my Treo 700x (whatever it was) days, and it wasn't that large; it was a good thing to keep in my car, but I certainly didn't like toting it around. Same would go for an iPhone I suppose...

Generally, with the Treo, my emails tend to be short, unless absolutely necessary. Same with SMS, which I rarely use anyway...

The main things that bowled me over were the UI and the way that phone/contacts integrated. I have to say, and I've loved my Treos, that it's head-and-shoulders over what I'm used to with my Treo. Now if it freezes like my Treo... I'm not going to be a happy camper!
    ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT CHANGE IF THIS is the case:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...09#post1171109
    Here is a Faq that David Pogue from the NY times put together after having hands on time with the device and talking to Steve Jobs. Wow the luster is coming off the iPhone alittle for me now. Highlights..

1. will not sync with outlook at all (OH NOOOOO)
    2. no iChat support at all
    3. no voice dialing
    4. no flash or java support in browser (WHY?)
    5. Cant open word or excel docs.
    6. Unit must be sent in to Apple to replace battery
    7. No third party apps
    Quote Originally Posted by Keefer Lucas View Post
    I have made this comment over several threads now - I'll add it here too. I won't move to the iPhone because there is no way my company will pay for it, as they will a Palm or similar "business class" product (and one that costs a couple hundred less). If my choice were essentially a topline Treo for NOTHING or an iPhone for $600 of my own money, I know where I am going to go (or stay as the case may be).
    I may be completely wrong on this, but after seeing the iPhone, my guess is that its paradigm is going to define the smartphones of the near future.

One of the things that it does that I particularly loved was its use of a real browser. He showed the NY Times website onscreen, and then pinched to expand it (or you can double-tap); I love that. While I do use my Treo browser almost daily, I miss the graphic richness of actual web pages.

Also, I would anticipate seeing an implmentation of Apple Remote Desktop (which is similar to Timbuktu, which I use, or Symantec's remote-desktop app, whose name I forget just now). I'd have a HUGE use for this.

So having said all that, I could easily see companies moving to a device such as this because of its utility as a business device--especially if it has the ability to use as a remote-desktop-access device.
    Quote Originally Posted by oddlou View Post
    I believe the battery is non-removable, a la Ipod.
    Yes, it's a sealed unit--you can't remove the battery, nor can you add an SD card. Although, this is 5 months out, and all the knowledgeable pundits are pointing to more apps and more features between now and June, there's a fairly reliable report that an Asian mfg. plant has already churned out 5 million iPhones. If that's true, the hardware feature set is frozen and we're just waiting for FCC approval and possibly some more software bug squashing.

They demoed it over and over at the show, and I didn't see anything that looked like a crash or a bug... that's not to say that they aren't there though, who knows...
    Quote Originally Posted by 155 View Post
    Suspect in which way? I think it's going to be hard to convince 700p users to switch to the iPhone. This poll does reside in the 700p Hardware forum.

I went from a Treo 650 (Edge) to a Treo 700p (EVDO) and I don't want to go back to Edge anytime soon plus Sprint's network is superior to Cingular's in my area.

Edge is like put the phone in your pocket do something and pull it out when the page loads. EVDO is like browse the internet.

I'm not going to be switching anytime soon.

I think Treo 680 users will want to get an iPhone in larger numbers.
    I totally agree. I'm as big a Mac fan as anyone could possibly be; my entire hosting company is built on a network of over 30 Macs, I've used them since 1986, write software for Macs, yada, yada, yada, but I love my 700p.

The speed issue concerns me too; I like the snappy speed of my 700p when it comes to getting on the web and retrieving email, but I really think I'll prefer the UI of the iPhone... I'll definitely buy the biggest iPhone as soon as it's available, but I won't rush out and sell my 700p until I see how the Internet speed is. I'm a Sprint user so I'll have to switch networks, but that doesn't matter; I live in a large city (Nashville) so both networks are well-represented here, and both probably suck equally...

I do expect that Cingular will do something to improve the Internet speed, and in short order; if these things take off like I expect they will, Cingular will HAVE to step up and get their connection speeds in line with Smackberrys, Treos, and WM devices.
    Quote Originally Posted by 155 View Post
    This is a good point. Having been with AT&T Wireless (now Cingular, soon to be ATTW again... sheesh!) and T-Mobile, Sprint has been the best carrrier for me so far. I get a signal most everywhere I need it.
    Just to settle things, no third-party apps is official. Straight from Steve Jobs mouth in an interview written up in the New York Times.

Here is a summary with a link to the full article:

http://www.43folders.com/2007/01/12/no-iphone-apps/

When I first heard about this phone I was like wow, full OSX, it will be like a Mac Tablet with integrated phone functionality and I'll take a look when it comes out on Sprint (not happening anytime soon 3 year exclusive to Cingular)

Now I'm sorta snickering. I would never give up my 700p for this. My 700p with SDHC, which is cheaper and faster than the iPhone does a whole lot more than the iPhone ever will and the plan on Sprint with SERO is a heck of a lot cheaper. Why pay more for a whole lot less?

Wimax and some other technologies will be out by that time and I'm sure we'll be demanding a whole lot more from these devices when wimax comes out. Wimax will mean manufacturers could install wireless internet similar to EVDO cheaply in laptops and other devices and the plans should be cheaper. I'm sure Wimax devices won't be limited to the few pda phones the carriers choose to sell, which is good for the consumer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    3. no voice dialing
    7. No third party apps
    This could - and likely will - be a problem!
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    ABSOLUTELY WOULD NOT CHANGE IF THIS is the case:

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...09#post1171109
    Here is a Faq that David Pogue from the NY times put together after having hands on time with the device and talking to Steve Jobs. Wow the luster is coming off the iPhone alittle for me now. Highlights..

Not yet, but you can BET they're hard at work on it as we speak! Remember, iTunes wasn't on the PC at first, but look at the iPod now; it's all over the PC market...

That's another thing you can bet they'll be adding; this is a version 1 device. I have no doubt that all of that will come in short order.
    3. no voice dialing
    7. No third party apps
    All of those are things it needs to do, I agree; voice dialing's not critical, but the others are, in my opinion. Especially Flash; how can it not do Flash, with all the Flash-laden (too Flash-laden, iMHO) sites?

Also Word and Excel; they both need to be there too. I expect them to appear soon, since those are software additions rather than hardware.

I too want to see the ability to add 3rd-party apps, particularly FileMaker. From what I'm reading, they explicitly state that it runs OS X, and not some stripped-down version of OS X, so I'm hopeful that more apps will be forthcoming.

Having said that though, I did a quick self-inventory of my use of the Treo, and I came up with only a few "must-have" apps:

contacts, camera, web, photos, calendar, phone (duh), stocks, memos (sorely missing on the iPhone), SplashShopper (which I love and which is of course missing on the future iPhone)

It all comes down to the user interface for me; the iPhone's UI is so incredibly elegant that I see it being a runaway best-seller, just as the iPod was. On top of all of what I've mentioned, it does iTunes even better than before, with CoverFlow (if you're not familiar with it, check out iTunes 7) and widescreen video. Not to mention the accelerometer that senses the orientation of the screen... flip it sideways and the image flips automatically--very very slick!

OK Bob, off the soapbox and back to your Treo, which you have NOW and not six months from now!

(... and as Perry would say) Cheers,

Bob
    Well.....all this is disappointing, and I can't help but think of it this way. This generation 1 iPhone is a test. It's to see if the public like the UI and if it'll be a hit. It's also there so that when they add a whole bunch of features to the gen. 2 iPhone, people will have to upgrade to get things like 3G or removeable battery, etc. I think Apple might be aware that there are those people who will just HAVE to get it, so they'll pay.

Don't get me wrong, I like apple, and I actually just converted from a Thinkpad to a Macbook Pro Core 2 Duo (note this is 2nd generation apple hardware). First gen apple hardware tends to be notoriously buggy, so I think that will be the case with the iPhone, and the second gen will iron out all the bugs and complaints.

As for 3rd party apps, if it's true that the iPhone runs the same samsung processor as the treo 750 (which is ARM-based), then it would make sense that you simply can't take a program that runs on an OS X desktop and run it on the iPhone because they're two completely different instruction sets. It's like when Apple converted to Intel, they had to specifically write a layer (dubbed Rosetta) to translate old PowerPC compiled programs on the fly to run on the Intel processors. Given the limited processing power in the iPhone, it would be impractical to write another Rosetta for it, applications would need to be rewritten to run on the ARM-based OS X......again....that's if what I"m assuming is true is actually true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Merlyn_3D View Post
    Well.....all this is disappointing, and I can't help but think of it this way. This generation 1 iPhone is a test.
    Nah, I don't agree; this thing is going to take off just like the iPod did. It's been 5, almost 6 years now since the iPod was released (by the way, it wasn't "notoriously buggy" when it was released), and the rest of the industry has yet to compete on a UI level.

The iMac wasn't notoriously buggy when it was released; neither was the G5, which was an amazing box right out of the factory in its first iteration.

No, I firmly believe, having owned a ton of PDAs, starting with the Newton (still an amazing little device, just the wrong form factor) and going on through a ton of different Palms, that this device has the best handheld user interface I've ever seen. If it were one or two things, I'd say that perhaps it might sell, but there were about a dozen--if not more--features that had me laughing with joy when I saw it.

Future versions will certainly add more apps, and I have no doubt that Outlook syncing will be forthcoming soon, if not in the first version; when kids see this thing, they'll want it. Sure, people say it's too expensive, but remember that it's no more expensive than the 700p. This isn't for kids; it's more for adults, I think.

I guess I'll let this rest now and quit singing the iPhone's praises; I know that most folks on this forum want to find reasons to keep loving their Treos, and that's totally understandable, but remember that I said this: when it hits the streets and people all around you are using it, you'll want one!
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm View Post
    that this device has the best handheld user interface I've ever seen. If it were one or two things, I'd say that perhaps it might sell, but there were about a dozen--if not more--features that had me laughing with joy when I saw it.
    How can you say this when the phone cant even be used one handed. How about listing these amazing features that make you chuckle so. Did it occur to you that many of the "features" are there to make up for the deficiency of the basic design?

Surur
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm View Post
    I guess I'll let this rest now and quit singing the iPhone's praises; I know that most folks on this forum want to find reasons to keep loving their Treos, and that's totally understandable, but remember that I said this: when it hits the streets and people all around you are using it, you'll want one!
    I think that it will sell a lot of units and there is a certain user base out there that will love this phone. It will be a success and Apple will make a lot of money on it. A lot of users will be happy. I don't contest that.

I'm not a Treo fanatic and I don't care about price a whole lot. When they released the Treo 650, I upgraded my precious Treo 600. I hated it. I dumped it for a PDA2k. I then dumped that for an E-ten m500. Then I grabbed a i-mate JASJAR, which cost $1,200.00. Then I came back to the Treo 650, because they finally upgraded the firmware. Then I upgraded to the 700p that I love and think is the best phone ever. If the iPhone were really a better phone I'd jump on it in an instant, but what can it do that my Treo with my 8gb sdhc card can't?

Not much. Run iTunes DRM music that I don't have any interest in buying, but don't have anything against.

It won't run TomTom gps, it won't play the low bitrate ogg files I use so I can store 3 times the amount of music on my 8gb card (I could care less about open source), it has my awesome mobileclock program that acts as a stopwatch/timer/alarm clock. Edit Office Documents. Instant Messaging. The list goes on and on with things you can do on your Treo that you can't do on your iPhone.

I think if you had a regular phone and an ipod and wanted to reduce the amount of stuff you carried around with you that an iPhone would make sense or were the type of user who didn't install any third party apps that the iPhone would appeal to you.

But the smart in smartphone is the fact that it runs third party apps.

Would you buy a computer that had some basic software and a web browser, but wouldn't let you install any applications? Does that make any sense at all?

Until I read the New York Times article and heard Jobs comments about how they wanted to make sure that the phone worked everytime and had total control of the phone so they weren't going to allow any third party applications to run on it or anything of that sort. Even if they were to crack that, you still won't see commercial developers like TomTom writing software for some cracked system.

Where's the innovation?
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast