View Poll Results: Will you switch from Treo to iPhone?

Voters
267. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I can't wait

62 23.22%
  • I am not sure

72 26.97%
  • No, I will stick with Treo

130 48.69%
  • I will use both

3 1.12%
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Edge???? Come on.
    Quote Originally Posted by haroldo View Post
    Realizing that the wow! factor will wear off over time and you might not enjoy typing on a screen (no keyboard) are you likely to swich from your Treo to the new iPhone?
    Since I hate the Treo keyboard, that's not limiting to me. I've got to assume a bluetooth keyboard will work and I can add one of those for when I need lots of typing. (Or one of those laser projected keyboards

Gary
    Sprint Treo 755p (previously Sprint Treo 700p, Sprint i500, Sprint i330 [yuk], Sprint i300, Sprint StarTac, Verizon StarTac)
    Mac 12" 1.5 GHz PowerBook (Constantly tethered to my Treo)
    Gary Said... (my blog) or The Daily Meme
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    I answered stick with Treo due to my library of music, software and 10 years of productivity habits associated with my Palm software that would have to be replaced/relearned and the fact I have free unlimited PowerVision on Sprint with SERO.
    Okay, new poll: who didn't know Perry would stick with the Treo?
    As soon as I have GPS on an iPhone, I'm switching. Interesting that Apple claims battery life is better under WiFi than EDGE when POS is the opposite.
    As for me, I like it and would consider it with high-speed. For now, I'll just sit and watch.
    No keyboard or grafitti, and $600 (after a contract) for a "feature phone" is completly overpriced for me. I could live with EDGE since wifi would be at work and home (where I spend most of my time), and lower bandwidth "on the road" is acceptable to me. Unfortunately, having to pay $40+/month (required, not an option) for the privelage of that mobile data is completely ridiculous.

"*If*" this was a smartphone (open API, hackable), had at least a grafitti-like (Newton?) interface, and the cell data plan was cheaper, I'd really be tempted. I can see buying such a device in 2 years if Palm does not get their act together.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by garylapointe View Post
    ... I've got to assume a bluetooth keyboard will work and I can add one of those for when I need lots of typing. ...
    Good point, a combination of grafitti and a bluetooth "iBoard" would be acceptable to me.

Problem w/ Bluetooth keyboard: The keyboard would have to have keys correspnding to the "software buttons", otherwise you'd have to be constantly switching from the keyboard to the touchscreen which wouldn't work.
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    787 Global Posts
    Since my 650 is sitting in the desk collecting dust while I use the Blackjack, sure I would swap the Treo for the iphone (or whatever it will be called after the lawsuit is settled). My guess is by the time June rolls around it may move beyond EDGE. I would have a hard time going back to EDGE after using 3G on the Blackjack. Also have to wait and see on the touchscreen keyboard. Cingular has done good by me so a 2 year contract is not an issue, everyone has to pay someone and I have an older plan that is acceptable in terms of price and it works fine on every device I have used.
    "If It Weren't For The United States Military"
    "There Would Be NO United States of America"
    As I sit here trying to repeatedly clear the DB Cache between resets just so I can use Blazer or Xiino, you bet I'd trade my Treo for the iPhone. In a freakin' heartbeat. I'm so sick of fighting with these phones (my 650 was the same old tired story).

Palm has roughly 6 months to get their act together or I see a mass exodus on the horizon.
    Quote Originally Posted by otterman View Post
    As I sit here trying to repeatedly clear the DB Cache between resets just so I can use Blazer or Xiino, you bet I'd trade my Treo for the iPhone. In a freakin' heartbeat. I'm so sick of fighting with these phones (my 650 was the same old tired story).

Palm has roughly 6 months to get their act together or I see a mass exodus on the horizon.
    If I was having the same experience I'd be on the iPhone bandwagon too. I just find it hard to believe that most, or even many, Treo users are having that rough of a time. And, as has been mentioned here before, until iPhone can get on BB or exchange most business users aren't going to head south just yet.
    This is my main point of jealousy towards the iPhone. Being Apple, you know that the software is going to be impeccable. I just hope Palm finally realizes how much they are hurting themselves by minimizing their software development.

They are in for a shock when hundreds of thousands of users realize what it feels like for a cell phone to walk as well as it's company talks. They were able to stay ignorant this long only because of a lack of creative competition. Apple makes it's business on providing the things that other companies avoid to save money. The difference is creativity.

Beauty, usability, and functionality in the ways Apple promises will be the iPhones strong points. It's weak points will definitely be battery life and, in my opinion, it's lack of functionality in the ways Apple cleverly avoids advertising. A lot like the iPod.
    I'm writing this after having spent 2 days at MacWorld Expo in San Francisco, in the midst of Steve Jobs' famous "reality distortion field," and have to report on my impressions. Let me say up front that I'm a 700p user, had a 650 before that, and many Palms before those. I had my 700p in hand all during the keynote, checking Apple's stock prices while the keynote was going on (which was really interesting to watch!).

I was at the keynote speech; I woke up at 3AM, stood in line until 7:30, at which time they shuffled us in to an interior room, where we hung out for another 90 minutes. This all sounds awful, but it was actually a lot of fun talking with nothing but fellow Mac enthusiasts like myself; the excitement was palpable.

Anyway, on to the keynote. I'm sure many of you have watched it; the demo of the iPhone was amazing, and the interface is nothing short of stunning. The manipulation of contacts and other items (iTunes library, photo library, page scrolling) by sliding your finger across the screen was surreal, as was the new "pinch" feature, where you pinch to make the screen image smaller, and do a "reverse pinch" to enlarge the screen image. Having been a Palm user since the very start, I have to say that this method for manipulating contacts and web pages was nothing short of amazing.

The iPhone in person is much smaller than I expected; there were two of them on display, and they did iPhone demos all day in the Expo; I watched pieces of them again, just to enjoy this device.

When I arrived at MacWorld, I said that the iPhone, if it even came out, would have to blow me away to get me away from the Treo; I also doubted that it could replace the same functions that I rely on in my 700p: calendar, contacts, stocks, notes, weather, and most importantly, web browsing.

After seeing the demo, I have to say that it blows the Treo away in every category. Now, on to the keyboard:

I just did some calculator work on my Treo earlier tonight, and noted that the number keys are almost identical in size to the iPhone's keys. Doing calculator work with the Treo calculator isn't the easiest thing in the world; I don't expect the iPhone keyboard to be that easy, although I learned, from David Pogue, who actually got to play with an iPhone during an interview with someone at Apple, that the keyboard actually has some error-correction built into it; it senses where it "thinks" you were aiming with your finger, and forgivingly makes guesses when you're not spot on.

Not being a fan of the Treo keyboard either, I expect to like the virtual keyboard equally. Using the dock connector, I have no doubt that 3rd-party keyboards will be out at the same time the iPhone hits the market in June. I also expect to see GPS modules and other nifty gadgets.

Battery life: Steve said 5 hours talk time, 16 hours (correct me on this if I'm wrong) music-playing or video playing time... could be slightly inaccurate on these. That's not dissimilar to my Treo. I also expect battery packs to come out too.

What I didn't see and wish I'd seen: a slot for an SD card.

I know this is the 700p forum, but being a big Palm guy as I am, I know I'm not alone in considering the ramifications of this new device. This is the first of what will be many iterations of this too, so I would expect that this new iPhone has Palm very worried.

I don't want to get into any flame wars; I'm not trying to start any fights, but thought some of you might appreciate a report from someone who has gotten a pretty heavy dose of the iPhone in the past couple of days.

Bob
    Quote Originally Posted by hoovs View Post
    Okay, new poll: who didn't know Perry would stick with the Treo?
    LOL

However, when/if the iPhone comes to Sprint -- I will take a look.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/11/2007 at 08:36 AM.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm View Post
    I'm writing this after having spent 2 days at MacWorld Expo in San Francisco, in the midst of Steve Jobs' famous "reality distortion field," and have to report on my impressions. Let me say up front that I'm a 700p user, had a 650 ...
    Great write up and thanks for your thoughts!

If you need to carry a second tool (third party keyboard), wouldn't that defeat the idea of an 'all in one' device.
    Do you think the lack of a keyboard isn't a negative? I can't imagine using a touch screen to type anything more than a few characters.
    Based on the current lack of 3G, Cingular exclusivity and a soft keyboard, I will stick with my 700wx for now. I am not going to lose the pricing I have via SERO or my 3G speeds. I do like that the OS on the iPhone runs on a variant of FreeBSD as its a sweet OS.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer

I agree, it has been too long since or even for a rom update, the 650 was updated well before this point. I've had it almost a year and still there are a lot of resets, so if something isn't done about it I will probably be switching (after it comes to Verizon and I check it out for useability).
    I have made this comment over several threads now - I'll add it here too. I won't move to the iPhone because there is no way my company will pay for it, as they will a Palm or similar "business class" product (and one that costs a couple hundred less). If my choice were essentially a topline Treo for NOTHING or an iPhone for $600 of my own money, I know where I am going to go (or stay as the case may be).
    Quote Originally Posted by longterm View Post

Battery life: Steve said 5 hours talk time, 16 hours (correct me on this if I'm wrong) music-playing or video playing time... could be slightly inaccurate on these. That's not dissimilar to my Treo. I also expect battery packs to come out too.

Bob
    I believe the battery is non-removable, a la Ipod.
    Yep.

No expandable memory (though admittedly they come with a ton already).

Non-replaceable battery.

(From what I understand) Third party development is closed at this point. If you get it, it comes from Apple.

Those three things ALONE make the initial Apple entry in the market a complete dud for me, no matter what the wow factor is (and it is a nice, big WOW!).

iPhone v2? replaceable battery and third party apps? AND available on verizon? Ooh... now I gotta think.

But for now? Nah.
    Global Posts
    538 Global Posts
    if it was offered on verizon with evdo and I could add apps to it, yeah.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    noodlelest wet noodler
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast