Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Hi,

I bought Agendus some time ago, because I wanted the features it provided. Eventually, I realized that the 7 second startup time was a device-killer for me, since the features I needed were for taking down quick ideas and appointments. I've been using palm's internal datebook since then.

I'm giving it one last shot. Is there ANY version of Agendus (9.06-11.1) that starts up quickly, like almost all other programs on the palm?
    11.1, 3s on my Treo 650 with 900 entries in the calendar DB.

If you have multiple thousands, you might purge, or delete old notes using a tool the Agendus folks can provide.
    What you might consider, is archiving some of your historical data to the desktop (feature included in Agendus) to reduce the database size. All database applications reach a threshold of diminishing returns.

To purge your records:

Menu -> Options -> Performance -> Purge Items
    Check Meetings and Tasks & Calls
    Choose a past date such that dates prior to that are unlikely to be needed for referral. Typically 90 days worth of meetings and completed Tasks is sufficient.
    Check "Save archive copy on PC (See Palm Desktop "Help" for importing archive should you need to restore this data)
    Tap Purge and then OK
    Check the performance for improvement

Many repeating meetings are another cause, ones that occur with higher frequency, such as weekly with no end date extending years out into the future. iambic is working on a solution to this, but as a workaround, you could set end dates for these to . . . say one or two years out. What you might consider, is archiving some of your historical data to the desktop (feature included in Agendus) to reduce the database size. All database applications reach a threshold of diminishing returns when you get into thousands of records.

As the features and code of Agendus have grown proportionally, our engineers are constantly striving to optimize and keep performance (startup and view change times) at reasonable and acceptable levels, but database size and content work against that means as well. Among the worst database performance reducers are: expired tasks, expired tasks/meetings with alarms, long notes (in certain views, Agendus must read every note/journal entry before drawing the view). So limit "notes" on meetings and tasks, and journal entries to just that . . . notes and not "books."

I hope these suggestions improve your performance. My startup time is 2 Mississippis!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Global Posts
    71 Global Posts
    Are you saying 2 seconds for version 9, 10 or 11?

It's been months since using it, so I'd forgotten my purchase path.

I bought version 9 with a free upgrade to version 10 when it was to be released, because 9 ran acceptably and images of 10 functionality looked impressive and the startup delay was never advertised. When 10 was released, it was essentially unusable because of the startup delay, so I stopped using it after a few weeks/month of frustration. I realize now that what actually happened counted as bait-and-switch, and the resulting product was not usable as advertised. I should've asked for my money back then.

I just put 9 back on, and it's a little slow (2 sec) but not unusable. So my question to you is: does 11 have a startup time similar to v9 or v10?

Or in the other direction, how do I return 10, since I can't really use it?
    Last edited by feivel; 01/10/2007 at 10:48 AM.
    11.1, as I said when I responded..

And if you read wells response, you're very likely to recover performance from Agendus. Perhaps Agendus can do things better, they keep saying they're looking into it. For now, clear out old notes, and purge old entries. Me with 900 entries it's an acceptable wait time.
    Quote Originally Posted by feivel View Post
    I bought version 9 with a free upgrade to version 10 when it was to be released . . . how do I return 10, since I can't really use it?
    If your upgrade to v10 was free, what is there to return and get back?

V10 and V11 add more complexity than V9. With that comes some performance sacrifice. You have to determine, based on your databases size and habits what you can and can't live with. And yes, 2 secs for 11.1.
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    Whats with Act for palm? Is any one familiar with it? How does it compare?

http://www.act.com/products/mobile/palm/index.cfm
    I have been a long time Action Names and Then Agendus user. Since Version 3.

I had tried a Samsing i730, but could no live without Agendus. Like all software it has its warts, but its good and great points far outweight its faults.

I have over 2200 contacts, I keep the past year and all future meetings on my calendar and try to purge old tasks (which I typically have 20 per day on workdays) once per month. It is 2-3 seconds to launch Agendus. No big deal.
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    DateBk, Agendus, ACT!, etc. use the native PIM databases and do their colors, icons, and other things via "tags" they write to the native record notes. You can see these by launching one of the native apps like Tasks, open a record and it's note and you will see something like this for Agendus:

ADV: 6
    ICON: 3|1876160
    CLR: 143
    RPT: B2020010-1
    AGID: CAJHFGOBAMMJHMEM
    #AN

DateBK's are different. ACT!'s are different. If you've tried or used more than one of these, guess what a mess your PIM records are in with "tags" from multiple apps that mean nothing to or confuse the PIM you are currently running? Might be a big contributor to the 10 second delay syndrome!

BTW, Key Suite does not use the native PIM databases. That means duplicity of your records and wasted RAM. There are both advantages and disadvantages to creating proprietary PIM databases. I don't have the inclination at the moment to try to think of all the pros and cons, but I'm pretty sure the cons would win!