1.    #1  
    I will be getting either a Palm Treo 700p or 700wx. Have read a lot of reviews on the i-Blue 737 GPS. Has anyone been able to successfully use this GPS with the Treo 700p or 700wx and Tomtom Navigator 6? I've read that there's some sort of bluetooth signal loss that occurs randomly between the Treo and i-Blue...just not sure if it's more user error.
    As the title says...I'm getting random bluetooth disconnects with my treo 650 and i blue 737. (Just got it.) I'll be exchanging it for something else.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks for the confirmation. This is consistent with the findings from buygpsnow.com. They've recommended that I get a SIRFIII-based GPS receiver instead, which I had just ordered...the Holux GPSlim 236.
  4.    #4  
    Looks like some guy got the i-Blue 737 GPS receiver to work with his Treo 700p. I can wait to get his feedback on the combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineMan View Post
    Thanks for the confirmation. This is consistent with the findings from buygpsnow.com. They've recommended that I get a SIRFIII-based GPS receiver instead, which I had just ordered...the Holux GPSlim 236.
    Per our tests (5 tests) on Treo 650 (with Always On utility installed) and connected to the i-Blue PS-737 or Qstarz 818, both units will randomly get disconnected from the GPS Info program.

It may be connected for 10mins to 2 hrs before the GPS automatically gets disconnected. The manufacturer claimed to have fixed this problem but our recent shipments (in the last 15 days as of today) hasn't show any sign of improvement to this problem.

Hence, avoid i-Blue 737 or Qstarz 818 until we confirm that they have fully patched this problem.

Disclaimer: This problem may not affect the 700w, 700wx or 750 that run on WM5 OS. This problem only affects the 650 we have tested, which we assume may have the same result on 700p and 680.

Hope this helps.
  6.    #6  
    Please have a look here. "chili4way" got the i-Blue 737 to work with the 700p: i-Blue 737 review
    Quote Originally Posted by AlpineMan View Post
    Please have a look here. "chili4way" got the i-Blue 737 to work with the 700p: i-Blue 737 review
    I cannot explain how he got it to work but we were selling i-Blue PS 737 for a while until one week (a few months ago) we got about up to 5 customers telling us about random bluetooth disconnection issue. So, we decided to investigate and confirm the issue.

We will revisit this topic as soon as the manufacturer fixed this problem.
  8.    #8  
    Perhaps the random bluetooth connection is only experienced with the Treo 650...and not the 700p? I wish I can get a trial unit so I can confirm this. I'm technical, so I can really put the combo in stress test situations.
  9. aph
    Global Posts
    174 Global Posts
    I was gonna pick up the QStarz 818 for my 700wx... any feedback on whether or not it disconnects?
    I have a Qstarz 810 (same as 737) and I love it. The sensitivity is excellent, as well as the battery life. I'd been using it with a Palm TX and I've never had an issue with it.

I also have an Tungsten E2, which does have major issues with keeping the GPS unit alive. Exactly at the 2 minute timeout, the E2 will lose its connection in Tomtom 5 and 6 and Mapopolis. Strangely enough, this doesn't happen in Pathaway.

I recently purchased a Treo 650 (unlocked GSM, 1.13ROM (not the newest firmware)) and had quite a few concerns about getting it to work with the GPS unit. I do have an older Nemerix unit, but the Qstarz is really superior so I'd ideally use it with the Treo. I contacted Transystem directly and asked them if they were aware of the issue and if there could be anything to do to fix it (basically following up on buygpsnow's investigation). They did response via e-mail, but perhaps due to language issues, they never directly answered my question. It would be funny if it weren't true!

They did say that in pairing for Tomtom, to NOT pre-pair it in the Palm Launcher. Instead, just run Tomtom, search for GPS sources, and pair it that way. They recommended to delete the existing association on my E2 and try it that way. No help at all. In fact, I have no idea why it WOULD work.

But when I got my Treo, I did run Tomtom that way, and it's worked pretty well since. I haven't taken any major trips, so it may disconnect after many hours, but my ~30 minute trips haven't had any problems. I personally am reluctant to upgrade the Treo firmware (1.20 is the latest) because I'm pretty darn happy with how it behaves now!
    semsons.com says not to buy this device if you use Palm OS. http://www.semsons.com/ib737blgps32.html

I personally own the iblue 737 but I have the 700wx. It works fine for me. I've had a few startup issues but I have always been able to resolve them one way or another.

heimlich