Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 33
  1.    #1  
    LAst night and this morning I received a call and while the phone connected the screen went totally white! I also couldn't get the screen to respond to any hard keys. The tones and clicks would sound so the device was registering key presses, but nothing showed on the screen and eventuallyth unit locked up like that. Had to soft reset the device.

    I QUIT! I want my money back and I want another WORKING phone! No more Treos for me! Im going back to my T3 and a phone!

    I ink PAlm d Cingular have more than had their chance to prove the Treo is the device for me and is the device to make my business life easier - 4 Treo 650s and now three TReo 680s!

    Besides the screen white out it started posting gibberish in the network area too.

    Boo on YOU Palm and Cingular! Apparently someone needs to spend more time at thedrawing board!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
  2. #2  
    Try a nokia 3000 or 6000 series. They are very reliable phones. Before I went the PDA phone route, I had a Cingular 3160 and it never let me down. Texting sucked bigtime, but that's expected from a non-qwerty keypad. You might even check out the Blackberry series.
    Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Treo 700wx -> Mogul -> Touch Pro
    You may like to flash, but your phone shouldn't. LED Killer
  3. #3  
    Oh darn, no more griping from you on the forum....
  4. #4  
    7 duds in a row? to the same person? wonder what the likelihood of that is....
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by MossMan View Post
    7 duds in a row? to the same person? wonder what the likelihood of that is....

    No doubt. Had my 300 for 16 months with out any issues. Lid broke (thanks kids) got a 600 which worked perfect for 14 months till screen cracked (thanks dad). Got 650 and have been trouble free with it for 14 months now.

    44 months of Treos with no problems, caused by Palm at least.
    Nik<hr>M100 --->M125 --->M500 --->Treo300 --->Sprint-Treo600 --->Sprint-Treo650
    <hr>
    Rom 8:31 <'><
    <marquee bgcolor=red width=150 height=5>
    1 in 150 babies born today will have some form of Autism
    </marquee>
    Unlocking Autism Mission Trips to Honduras My Space
  6. #6  
    Sounds like there are some NVFS-incompatible third-party applications installed. That 480x360 just doesn't fit too well in a square screen. Oh well...
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    LAst night and this morning I received a call and while the phone connected the screen went totally white! I also couldn't get the screen to respond to any hard keys. The tones and clicks would sound so the device was registering key presses, but nothing showed on the screen and eventuallyth unit locked up like that. Had to soft reset the device.

    I QUIT! I want my money back and I want another WORKING phone! No more Treos for me! Im going back to my T3 and a phone!

    I ink PAlm d Cingular have more than had their chance to prove the Treo is the device for me and is the device to make my business life easier - 4 Treo 650s and now three TReo 680s!

    Besides the screen white out it started posting gibberish in the network area too.

    Boo on YOU Palm and Cingular! Apparently someone needs to spend more time at thedrawing board!


    Lates then, every Treo I got so far has worked for me without me sending them in. I wouldn't give up on the Treo, that easy.
    Last edited by E2EK1EL; 01/10/2007 at 01:26 AM.
  8. #8  
    Yeah.. i've had visor, visor deluxe, visor platinum, visor pro, treo 270, treo 600, treo 650, and now treo 680. I returned one visor for slight cracking around the springboard slot and that's it. I really have to wonder about those who return unit after unit. Maybe they are just very unlucky... but still..

    Anyway, I think you should get an iphone and tell us all how it works (and then give it to me when you think it doesn't work well)...
  9. #9  
    Try a Windows Mobile Treo like the 750.
  10.    #10  
    Ya'll can say what you like abou "one person getting 7 bad devices" and it being a "third party issue" but I am NOT the only one that has had to return more than one device via CIngular's warranty program.

    Now Cingular reps SAY that the devices have been factory refurbished, but as I've stated before - there are absolutely NO indications on the devices that such measures have been taken!

    Devices that malfunction with absolutely NO third party apps installed are what - MY fault? Because I'm not holding my mouth right? I guees I was responsible for speaker malfunctions? A nonresponsive NAv key?Sticking "H" key and other keys? ANd it was my fault that the correct IMEI numbers and sim cards weren't tagged to the proper phones? And I, with my oh so infinite wisdom, knowledge and ability to invent new palm programs, was responsible for one of the phones to start picking up out moded voice mail prompts which Cingular's own tech support said they couldn't fix but a few days later store rep did! Uh huh, o.k. Well I guess that's one mre load my broad shoulders can handle - misplaced blame for a faulty product!

    As for "griping" - well you would too if your mobile service business depended upon cellular connectivity and reliability! I did NOT take the step to the Treo lightly. MUch thought, review, interviews and comparisons went into my decision back in May of '06!

    I already HAD a working system - wth my Nokia phone and Palm T3 PDA - I was trying to consolidate and simplify my life! Nothing wrong with that is there? The Palm and Cingular advertisements and product promotionals encouraged that thinking process too!

    I was really beginning to think tht this last (third) Treo 680 was going to be THE ONE - but obvously it was not.

    Today's discussions with the Cingular rep once again they attempted to send me another Treo 680. They too said there must be a third party app interference and I'd need to do a hard reset and clean install again. The rep even started telling me that he could tell I hadnt done a clean install. When I asked him what made him think that, he asked if I changed anything on my Palm desktop. When I informed him that YES I completely UNinstalled any previous version, gave the new device an individual hot sync name and even renamed the backup folder to back up OLD; he acquiesced and said I gues you have done it already and must have a device issue.

    I am not necessarily a newbie to the Palm world - I have been VERY pleased with both my T2 and my T3. But the high pitched whine of the T2 aggravated my hearing so I gve it to a friend who still uses it for her Real estate business! SO I KNOW that Palm can and DOES make reliable devices - just for some reason the Cingular Branded Treo 650s and 680s for ME were nothing like what they were advertised!

    I've sought troubleshooting answers from Palm's website, The owner's manual, internal phone program, Cingular's website and a minimum of 4 individual Treo forums as well CIngular's forum and their online tech help!

    SO go ahead spout back - these improperly functioning devices were all my fault and that I "gave up" on Palm - I can shoulder those comments - considering the sources......

    Cingular Warranty dept has informed me that they will be sending me an HP 6925 iPaq instead of aother Treo 680.

    SO the money I have invested in personal Palm programs (which by the way, most didn't even get REloaded onto this last device) is money pished away, this new device uses mini SD cards so I'll have to invest MORE money into storage media, I'll have to figure out a way to transfer over 500 contacts and several hundred appointments from the palm format to the windows mobile format, I'll have to learn a whole new operating system and all this needs to be up and running within 24 hours of receiving this new device!

    Oh yeah - sure I gave up, and took the easy way out.

    I am glad so many of you are tickled pink with your devices. I was too for the brief moments it actually acted like it was supposed to!

    Thank you to those of you with constructive ideas and posts that helped me work around some of the issues.

    There comes a point though when it becomes clear there is a dead horse being beaten.


    Yeehaw - here we go for a wild ride on windows mobile now.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    Ya'll can say what you like abou "one person getting 7 bad devices" and it being a "third party issue" but I am NOT the only one that has had to return more than one device via CIngular's warranty program.

    Now Cingular reps SAY that the devices have been factory refurbished, but as I've stated before - there are absolutely NO indications on the devices that such measures have been taken!

    Devices that malfunction with absolutely NO third party apps installed are what - MY fault? Because I'm not holding my mouth right? I guees I was responsible for speaker malfunctions? A nonresponsive NAv key?Sticking "H" key and other keys? ANd it was my fault that the correct IMEI numbers and sim cards weren't tagged to the proper phones? And I, with my oh so infinite wisdom, knowledge and ability to invent new palm programs, was responsible for one of the phones to start picking up out moded voice mail prompts which Cingular's own tech support said they couldn't fix but a few days later store rep did! Uh huh, o.k. Well I guess that's one mre load my broad shoulders can handle - misplaced blame for a faulty product!

    As for "griping" - well you would too if your mobile service business depended upon cellular connectivity and reliability! I did NOT take the step to the Treo lightly. MUch thought, review, interviews and comparisons went into my decision back in May of '06!

    I already HAD a working system - wth my Nokia phone and Palm T3 PDA - I was trying to consolidate and simplify my life! Nothing wrong with that is there? The Palm and Cingular advertisements and product promotionals encouraged that thinking process too!

    I was really beginning to think tht this last (third) Treo 680 was going to be THE ONE - but obvously it was not.

    Today's discussions with the Cingular rep once again they attempted to send me another Treo 680. They too said there must be a third party app interference and I'd need to do a hard reset and clean install again. The rep even started telling me that he could tell I hadnt done a clean install. When I asked him what made him think that, he asked if I changed anything on my Palm desktop. When I informed him that YES I completely UNinstalled any previous version, gave the new device an individual hot sync name and even renamed the backup folder to back up OLD; he acquiesced and said I gues you have done it already and must have a device issue.

    I am not necessarily a newbie to the Palm world - I have been VERY pleased with both my T2 and my T3. But the high pitched whine of the T2 aggravated my hearing so I gve it to a friend who still uses it for her Real estate business! SO I KNOW that Palm can and DOES make reliable devices - just for some reason the Cingular Branded Treo 650s and 680s for ME were nothing like what they were advertised!

    I've sought troubleshooting answers from Palm's website, The owner's manual, internal phone program, Cingular's website and a minimum of 4 individual Treo forums as well CIngular's forum and their online tech help!

    SO go ahead spout back - these improperly functioning devices were all my fault and that I "gave up" on Palm - I can shoulder those comments - considering the sources......

    Cingular Warranty dept has informed me that they will be sending me an HP 6925 iPaq instead of aother Treo 680.

    SO the money I have invested in personal Palm programs (which by the way, most didn't even get REloaded onto this last device) is money pished away, this new device uses mini SD cards so I'll have to invest MORE money into storage media, I'll have to figure out a way to transfer over 500 contacts and several hundred appointments from the palm format to the windows mobile format, I'll have to learn a whole new operating system and all this needs to be up and running within 24 hours of receiving this new device!

    Oh yeah - sure I gave up, and took the easy way out.

    I am glad so many of you are tickled pink with your devices. I was too for the brief moments it actually acted like it was supposed to!

    Thank you to those of you with constructive ideas and posts that helped me work around some of the issues.

    There comes a point though when it becomes clear there is a dead horse being beaten.


    Yeehaw - here we go for a wild ride on windows mobile now.

    First, I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune with your Treos. I've had some trouble with my 680 but I think things have stabilized a bit. Battery life is clearly NOT as advertised, but... I think my 680 is a bit more stable than my 'ol 650 (but I still get a white screen on occasion).

    I recently got a good deal on a Cingular 8525 (Windows Mobile) -- now I'm caught betwixt my Palm 680 and the simplicity and usefulness of the Palm OS and WM5, which offers a more powerful multi-tasking platform with faster data speeds on Cingular's network. I like and dislike things about both, so I'm not sure what to do. I might switch back and forth for a while, a few weeks at a time, to see if one wins my heart over the other --- I admit a partiality to Palm because of I'm vastly more familiar with Palm's products.

    Anyway, I'll stop blathering and offer a little tidbit of help. Since I'm using both a WM5 and a Palm product and syncing both to the same computer, I suggest you sync your Palm to Outlook and then, when you sync your WM phone, all of your contacts and appointments will easily install on your device --- transfer problem solved!

    Good luck!
  12. #12  
    I agree that if you have lots of bad luck with any one model, time to try another. If I had 3 bad models, I'd have been done with Treos too. I'm not even sure I'd go through 7.
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  13.    #13  
    For what its worth here's a bit of an update on my forced intro to Windows Mobile 5 on an HP iPAQ 6925 and how it compares so far to the Treo 680.

    Box contents are about equal: cable usb charges, home power charger, CD pack (hp has a GPS set up), 1200mh battery li-on (same size),ear buds (hps is stereo - as in two buds), hp has an actual paper manual.

    Set up is the same - charge battery, set up device, sync yadyada.

    First thing is the form factor is smilar to the Treo in that the iPAQ has a thumboard. But the iPaq is 3/4 inch wider than the Treo! Its just a hair narrower than the T3. WHich is OK for stylus input, but when trying to use the thumboard one handed - it gets tricky. Two handed the wider, farther spaced keys are great. But then again if I look at how often I have to actually type one handed - it isn't often, so using the device two handed for typing is better than the cramped confines of the Treo.

    But being so much wider and flatter than the Treo it does not nestle nicely in my palm like the Palm Treo does!

    The saving grace to that problem is the joystick - HP's answer to the nav key. I haven't stuck this thing in my pocket or my purse yet, so I don't know if the couple millimeters it sticks up will become an issue or not. One thing I do like is that my finger doesn't slip like it did on the select key of the Treo and make an errant key motion.

    There are not many dedicated hard keys on the HP and I find myself missing that a LOT!

    I do like the hard plastic flip screen protector included witht the device - kind of gives it a Star Trek Communicator feel.

    Screen real estat s HUGE compared to the 680 but resolution is abyssmal - after that gorgeuos hi-res Treo 60!

    SO at this point the Treo's form and resolution are preferrable to the HP, so that leaves operating system and performance to compare.

    moved to Palm years ago because of issues encountered running WinCE on an HP 620 LX clam shell (palm top) device.

    The simplicity and functionality of the PaLm OS has been absolutely great!

    ANd I find myself wondering exactly how Bill Gates and his enturage ever accomplish anything after having to tap, scroll and select menu after menu!

    I really really really miss palm's week view where I could at a glance see what time I had available for sceduling just because of the color coded categories I had set up. That view is simple, clear and easy to view.

    WM5 on the other hand doesn't even allow olor coding of the categories and downloadin of any of the third party calender/organizr apps doesn't help much. I did find an app that let mecolor code my categories, but I cannot get a simple week view to indicate those categories and open time!

    With my service business I often get calls and need to find open time for scheduling while on the fly.

    I can see this is going to be an aggravation.

    Contact input and task mgmt is pretty much the same, but has been greatly enhanced with this third party app. The OS system of WM5 will tak a LOT of getting used to. With a tremendous amount of time spent and tweaking of the 3rd party app, I have almost btained the straightforward usablilty of the Palm's calender app.

    Performance -wise so far I am fairly impressed; where the Treo wouldn't get a signal at all in my house - the iPAQ is getting two whole bars!

    Considering that signal strength/reception was a huge detraction from the Treo 680, the iPaq stands heads and shoulders above in that dept.

    Battery life: we all know the Treo 680s life is basically non existant - its mo like how long can the Treo 680 survive OFF of life support (the charger) before it goes belly up? ANd how many hoops does one have to jump through to keep it alive?

    SO far the iPAQ shines in that dept too! Same size battery, bigger screen size, but lower resolution does this make the difference? Or is it the radio? But on just the initial charge and with good reception and bluetooth off the battery has been in use for 24 hours and is only down to 52% and 've spet quite a lot of time on the device setting up the screen colors and exploring how to use it!

    Processor speed of the HP is much bigger than the Treo. Maybe the bigger processor with the lower res is beneficial? Maybe the Treo is having to work too hard to keep up the hi res AND keep a signal? I don't know.

    I can already see things that the Treo 680 had that were better than the iPaq, but sgnal reception and longevity off the charger are crucial to a mobile service.

    I suppose I'll soon b acclimated to the WM5 atmosphere. So far the device has been quie stable.It did lock up when I did a search for photos and had the device set to search for apparently ALL graphic images on the device - 349 seemed to overwhelm it.

    I had to order the mini SD card because all the local store carry is a 1GB and I want a 2GB. I'll end up getting a second mini card for my digital camera too because I used to take photos then edit their file names on the Palm.The HP of course uses a different size card than my camera.

    I'll wait until the 4GB cards have been out for awhile - at this point there are too many reports of instability and incompatibility.

    WHen the card gets here then I can load music and sounds and try that end of the device.

    So that's what's new from my neck of the woods!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
  14. #14  
    Are you going to try the 750?
    HP has officially ruined it's own platform and kicked webOS loyalists and early TouchPad adopters to the curb. You think after you drop it like a hot potato and mention it made no money and is costing you money, anyone else wants it??? Way to go HP!!

    And some people are fools to keep believing their hype. HP has shown they will throw webOS under the bus and people are still having faith in them??? News flash: if it's own company won't stand behind it, it's finished!
  15. #15  
    Here's my $.02:

    I've been through 3 Treo 650s since July 06'. The first two had BT range of about 5 feet max. All three had ridiculous volume levels requiring a 3rd party just to properly hear 1/3 of my calls. Forget amping on my BT headset.

    After putting up with the volume issue still and crashing for the past six months, it finally hit me. "I'm not putting up with this pathetic behavior while paying Cingular $500! One call to tech suppport and Cingular's usual torturous path to a decision maker came a 680 replacement.

    I must say the 680 has niggles, but it's like night & day as an improvement. I think I can live with this one.
    Patrick Horne
  16.    #16  
    Phone Diva,

    I have to admit while the form and fit of the Treo and its superb screen resoution are extremely appealing. I have a particularly sour taste in my mouth from my past experiences.

    I AM torn. SO far this iPAQ has been a pretty solid device - but then again, I haven't used it much yet. Time will tell.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
  17. #17  
    Forgewizard, the WM OS is really the killer for me. I've tried WM a couple times now in the past two years and simply can't stomach it. I can't deal with multiple steps to do what my 680 can do with one, maybe two taps. Palm's simplicity, form factor, and my investment in software over the years make WM a VERY hard sell for me. However, I wish you the best of luck! I'm glad to hear you get signal strength and decent battery life!
  18. #18  
    I think I may be the only objective observer here. I like the 680 but it sucks. It's not that it's the worst phone/pda in the world, but it just isn't what it should be. I'm not saying any others are better, but it is clearly underpowered--I don't believe there is a software or firmware or hardware problem. That battery is just too small. In order to get a slimmer shape, and put the antenna inside,they decided to shoot the battery. With predictable results. The sound is kind of weird too. My speaker phone is not a whisper, but it's not a scream either, and I just realized that my TomTom Navigator is like a loudspeaker--amazing! But even with volumecare, I can't get the same volume out of the speaker as I get with the Navigator. The voice quality sucks compared to other phones, and I could go on and on. This phone sucks. But I depend upon the PDA, and all my foreign language dictionaries, my airline schedules, and all that. And the various Palm apps build dependency also. And Chatter so far is unequalled, so I'll stay with the Treo, and I really like it a lot. Early in the day, when I've got lots of power, Chatter is pushing away, and I don't need the speakerphone, and I've got una parola italiana nuova to look up. But it really sucks, pretty much big time.
  19.    #19  
    Well, another day playing with my HP 6925 and adding more third-party software applications puts this device closer to the neck and neck race with the Treo 680.

    I have installed ""Agenda One and "ilauncher". Taking the time to set up both of these applications almost giving me Treo like actions! Users of the newer Treos running WM5 may want to take a look at both of those applications.

    Changing the theme and wallpaper of this device has helped the appearance of the screen resolution.

    Tomorrow and Sunday I'll get a chance to check out the GPS program in the device as well as on the road usability and reception.

    A set of egrips applied to the machine may make handling feel more secure.

    The radio on the Treo 680 has been turned off since the 10th and has not been used much except to verify a few schedule dates; battery power is at 77%. But when I awoke the device recently and it had gone to "system secure" status (password protected) as soon as I finished inputting the password it did a soft reset!

    Seems like the Treo 680 will soon fade quietly into the past.
    Last edited by Forgewizard; 01/12/2007 at 11:43 PM.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
  20. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I think I may be the only objective observer here. I like the 680 but it sucks. It's not that it's the worst phone/pda in the world, but it just isn't what it should be. I'm not saying any others are better, but it is clearly underpowered--I don't believe there is a software or firmware or hardware problem. That battery is just too small. In order to get a slimmer shape, and put the antenna inside,they decided to shoot the battery. With predictable results. The sound is kind of weird too. My speaker phone is not a whisper, but it's not a scream either, and I just realized that my TomTom Navigator is like a loudspeaker--amazing! But even with volumecare, I can't get the same volume out of the speaker as I get with the Navigator. The voice quality sucks compared to other phones, and I could go on and on. This phone sucks. But I depend upon the PDA, and all my foreign language dictionaries, my airline schedules, and all that. And the various Palm apps build dependency also. And Chatter so far is unequalled, so I'll stay with the Treo, and I really like it a lot. Early in the day, when I've got lots of power, Chatter is pushing away, and I don't need the speakerphone, and I've got una parola italiana nuova to look up. But it really sucks, pretty much big time.
    some comments if i may; i think you (mdavis) hit it on the head of the nail in many respects. i, along with other users/past users, agree that the 680 does suck. i hated the low sound of the speaker but where you and i differ is that i won't go out and download/pay for a 3rd party program to fix it. i along with others don't use chatter. so if one doesn't load up all these fancy 3rd party apps, what then do you really have left?

    wasn't the phone for me but i'm glad i gave it a shot.
    Blackberry Pearl (AT&T), Apple 3G iPhone,
    owned and used: Treo 750 (WM5, Cingular)
    T680 unlocked (T-Mo), T700wx, T700w, T650, T600
    ppc6600, i730, htc mogul, BB Bold, Curve
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions