Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post

The radio on the Treo 680 has been turned off since the 10th and has not been used much except to verify a few schedule dates; battery power is at 77%. But when I awoke the device recently and it had gone to "system secure" status (password protected) as soon as I finished inputting the password it did a soft reset!

Seems like the Treo 680 will soon fade quietly into the past.
    Ahh... you're doing my battery test!

In the strange palm-centric world, in their definition of 'standby', you are getting 12-13% drain per day. You won't make it to 12.5 days... but you might get standby times approaching 200 hours. (Of course, that's like computing mpg in your car by pushing it with the engine off...)

Keep everyone updated on your conversion adventure. It's an interesting read, as we will all be moving to new devices and OS's somewhere along the line.
    I really have to wonder about people that never return their units, do they really use them? Sorry, don't want to be a *****, but seriously ... I have owned every Palm based Treo ever introduced back to Handspring days. I have returned at least 6 units off the top of my head. It always mystified me how they could stay in business with so many defective units. The Sprint store would always have a ton of Treo replacements, it was a merry go round of Treos and sounds like it still is (still on my first Blackberry 8700)... but part of me misses Palm.

Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    Yeah.. i've had visor, visor deluxe, visor platinum, visor pro, treo 270, treo 600, treo 650, and now treo 680. I returned one visor for slight cracking around the springboard slot and that's it. I really have to wonder about those who return unit after unit. Maybe they are just very unlucky... but still..
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisutley View Post
    I really have to wonder about people that never return their units, do they really use them? Sorry, don't want to be a *****, but seriously ... I have owned every Palm based Treo ever introduced back to Handspring days. I have returned at least 6 units off the top of my head. It always mystified me how they could stay in business with so many defective units. The Sprint store would always have a ton of Treo replacements, it was a merry go round of Treos and sounds like it still is (still on my first Blackberry 8700)... but part of me misses Palm.
    I use my treo(s) every day very heavily. I use it for phone, email, texting, IMing, audio and video. I use it to administer several servers at my workplace. I pull down rss newfeeds and keep up with the news and weather, including looping NEXRAD imagery and forecast discussions.

Like I said, I have also had visors/treos since handspring became an independant company. I definitely use the units every day and heavily.

Obviously YMMV.... and no... you're not a *****.
    Myt last Treo had no ringer nor speakerphone for the last 6-9 months. I couldn't afford to return it; I, too, use it intensively, and I do at least half of my work with colleagues and others using Chatter. I could be anywhere but I am billing hours because I am in constant touch with colleagues and clients, actually doing billable tasks with the Treo. Using that Treo without any ringer (I depended upon the vibration) was Hell, but being without it for some time would have been literally intolerable. I think one reason I like the 680 so much is that it rings. It RINGS! What a pleasure. Not a huge technological advance, granted, but for me, it's quite a pleasure. The Speakerphone, as sucky as it is, is infintely better than what I had, so, how could I complain? ON the other hand, this one doesn't quite last me to the end of my working day and that is a *bi*tch****** *****.
  5.    #25  
    Jaytee (&all),

You''ll be pleased to know that the Treo 680 is still on standby (phone radio, bluetooth off and just one or two checks of the calender through the day) and tonight as I type this the battery capacity is at 70%! SO used as just a PDA only the battery would probably do quite well. Turn on the phone and communicator side of the device and you'll need a l-o-n-g extension cord!

The HP 6925's phone was used quite a bit today. No email yet, or bluetooth (seems I've misplaced my bluetooth ear piece or else my ferret has stashed it some where).

So I used the HP dual earbuds and was extremely impressed with the sound quality, voice clarity was great! Their ear bud has a volume control on the mic as well as the volume control on the device and ey work independently of each other! Can't hardly wait to get my mini SD cards and get my tunes loaded! The HP has preloaded equalizer settings. As n Jazz, classical, rock, flat etc!

Something odd I ran into (that was so simple on the Treo 680) was that there is no icon or screen indication of missed calls on the HP 6925! How goofy is that?

To locate the missed calls you have to:
    1) go to the phone dialer pad click on menu.
    2) Then click on call history which brings up a list of all the calls transacted. 3) Then click on menu again.
    4) Click on filter and now you finally got a menu where you get your missed and outgoing and incoming calls! There has got to be an easier way!

Yeah, well there is probably a third-party application that I have to purchase to do that!

By the end of the day. The battery meter was registering 33% on the HP 6925. Which isn't bad considering the device was removed from the yesterday morning!

The other thing I ran into was when I inserted the mini SD card there was no menu that pops up asking if I wanted to format the card. Alternatively I could not easily locate, actually, I couldn't locate at all a way to actually format the card within the HP itself!

I will definitely grant that the Palm Treo menus are more intuitive! Oh what a merry trip this will be!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Personally, I hate Windows based mobile OS. I've gone through PDAs and smartphones with windows as their OS and i was quite annoyed. Like Windows on the PC, the mobile version of their OS froze up, lagged, crashed, etc. I must have gone through 10 different devices (each being exchanged at least once in it's lifetime) and It just kills it for me. Palm has not been perfect, but I will say it is a hell of a lot better than Windows Mobile OS. Sure, it may lag or freeze up to, but at least it doesn't do it 50 times a day like windows did. And if you think it was because of the programs I had, that's impossible as the only programs I usually installed was one to clear the opened programs and verichat (not even on), so as to why it would freeze...no idea. Had my Treo 650 for 3 years, and it was not perfect, but it did what I asked without wasting my time. Just bought a Treo 680 Graphite, and like the 650, it has it's bit of issues, but they are much more tolerable. That's what I think.
    Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth. - Oscar Wilde
  7.    #27  
    Oh boy do I miss my Pocket Tunes!

Dealing with windows media only reminds me of how aggravating windows programs can be! I have spent the better part of more than three hours formatting, reformatting, loading, unloading, creating playlists and arranging my music only to have windows media ignore most of my set ups and actually invent some of its own!

I DON"T want windows media to file my music by artist, album, genre etc - I want my playlists as I want them! I established labels for each playlist and synced each playlist to the card individually because putting multiple playlists on the card at the same time seems to freeze the sync process!

There are several instances where the same song shows up as an unknown artist and unknown album even though the song does list an artist and an album and yet windows media puts the song into the album, lists it with the known artist and unknown artist AND puts it in the unknwn album!

Grrrr:

THen when I go into the Windows media file on the HP 6925 it of course defaults to the empty device MyMusic files, so I tap oe storage card menu selection and it brings up choices. But NO where are my playlists listed! I have to select an "ALBUM" that windows media set up and of course now my songs are not in lists that I like to listen to!
    I have yet to utilize the active sync to get the music files onto the card! Every time I try to active sync with the card installed active s stalls!

The card I am trying is only 512 MB!

What in the world is going to happen when my 2GB card gets here?

But while I was messing around with the music files I was startled halfway out of my skin when the phone rang loudly and unexpectedly! (I am sooo not used to getting any calls through at the house). Speakerphone works well on this device at least as well as it did on the Treo 680, yet the drawback on this device is there is no way to easily switch to headphones, as I found out because the caller was hearing feedback from the speakerphone being so close to my PC. I had t plug the headphones in a few times before it registered they were attached.

Here is a screen shot of the ilauncher loaded, with a theme from elsewhere on the web.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytee View Post
    ........ld get an iphone and tell us all how it works (and then give it to me when you think it doesn't work well)...
    Get in line!
    I don't know why you're using Windows Media. I have never used it. I have over 2G on my 4G card filled with mp3 files. There is also one good reason not to even think about Iphones. The first words out of Steven Jobs mouth (practically) were "It's patented!" I certainly don't need a phone made with that philosophy, and the most recent review of the Iphone noted that if you get an Iphone you're locked into it, because it won't let you take its music or other downloads with you. What comes to the Iphone stays with the Iphone (that's not strictly true, of course, but it's not true at all with the Treo--you put on what you want, and you can take it with you anywhere).
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I don't know why you're using Windows Media. I have never used it. I have over 2G on my 4G card filled with mp3 files. There is also one good reason not to even think about Iphones. The first words out of Steven Jobs mouth (practically) were "It's patented!" I certainly don't need a phone made with that philosophy, and the most recent review of the Iphone noted that if you get an Iphone you're locked into it, because it won't let you take its music or other downloads with you. What comes to the Iphone stays with the Iphone (that's not strictly true, of course, but it's not true at all with the Treo--you put on what you want, and you can take it with you anywhere).
    What if its not about the music?
    Are you saying, "it's the economy, stupid?"
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    Are you saying, "it's the economy, stupid?"
    No, I think that I was trying to suggest that many people will not buy the iPhone simply as a new iPod. I was trying to suggest that people are not anxious about Apple or MS control of their music.

I trust iTunes. I trust Apple. I am still on my first iPod but my nephew who is on his second says he "just connected it." (A bigger concern for me is how to keep it warm when I ski.)

I am sure that when MCA and ASCAP were created, we heard the same concerns expressed. I fear the RIAA and the MPAA more than I fear Apple. RIAA threatens me while Apple offers me a deal. The RIAA and the MPAA are the only games in town. Apple has to compete.
    Last edited by whmurray; 01/15/2007 at 05:47 PM.
  13.    #33  
    Well, even though I never did find one of my playlists, because I had set up most of the lists according to the artist, I was able to play my tunes today as I worked. The HP 6925 performed wonderfully! After 4 solid hours of playing at full volume, I still had 36% battery left.

The music sounded great!

The iPAQ actually had an incoming call while playing and the music paused, then resumed when the call went to voicemail - no reset like the Treo 680 did a couple times.

Just the fact that I actually received a call at that particlar client's place was great! Also earlier while enroute to the client's I travelled through a wilderness area that is known for having zero reception and this device actually picked up and held one to two bars of signal!

I AM impressed, as I said before with the Treo what good is a communication device if you cannot in fact communicate?

I picked up my Treo 680 tonight and was somewhat taken aback at how foreign it already felt in my hand! Boy does it really feel small and that keyboard feels terribly cramped! hmmm - how quickly we can adapt!

Actually I am so encouraged with the reception capabilities that I signed back up for a media net package! ANd was immediately able to reach the internet via the device from my house - where before with the Treo 680 (and 650) I would consistently get a cannot connect message!

I'll just have to keep muddling through learning the ropes of WM5 operating system.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12