Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1.    #1  
    Has anyone used InnerBackup program? Supposedly it will also do a system recovery to a former date.

    What about Backup Buddy? I used to use it with my M130 Palm.

    Is Backing up the Treo that big of a deal, since it has ROM memory. Would you back up to the SD card, or to the PC?

    Ken
  2. #2  
    I have used BackupBuddy VFS on both my 650 and 700p. This does not back up ROM, but all of your files, settings, and programs. And you can save full specific dated "checkpoints" for various before and after restore points.

    A hotsync backs you up on your PC, but backups on the SD card can restore you on the fly (1 file or all files) when you are away from your hotsync PC. This has come in handy for many on the forum.


    If you should have to have your unit replaced (same model) you just slap the SD card in the new unit, restore and you are on your way, right at the store.

    I back up to my SD card at least once a day.

    (Blue Nomad also sells a desktop companion that will back up your SD card during a hotsync. Or you can just do it yourself periodically with a card reader. The forum has many stories of lost or corrupted SD cards. . . . . . . . .)

    There are many providers of quality backup programs out there . . . . . .


    Cheers, Perry.
    Last edited by gtwo; 01/09/2007 at 06:01 AM.
  3. #3  
    NVBackup is a very useful, schedulable, free, stand alone backup program which saves your volatile info to an SD card. It has been very useful to me.
    --
    Visor Deluxe > Visor Platinum > Visor Pro > Treo 180 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 680 > Palm Pre > EVO 4G
  4. #4  
    I use BackupMan and it does the trick for me.
    Give it a go.
    Good Luck
    iPhone 4S
    Former Treo & Storm Owner
    Cigar Lover
  5. #5  
    Used BackupMan before, now mainly use Resco Backup.
    I read a lot of positive reports on NVBackup as well (freeware too !)
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  6. #6  
    I use NVBackup. Restores have always worked and it's free.
  7. #7  
    I was always a big fan of BackupBuddy until I tried NVBackup. I like the way you can force a reset after a scheduled backup and the fact that it's free. I have had no problems at all with NVBackup.
  8. #8  
    Not one backs up EVERYTHING since some files should better not be restored (try restoring the legacy PIMs and you might see some Datamgr.c resets flying around )

    SW registrations are usually stored in saved_preferences, all of them are able to restore this file (as well as unsaved_preferences which BTW is NOT hotsynced !).

    I used BackupMan to restore on T3: very good but was not able to restore WiFi SDIO driver (which makes perfect sense since that same driver was in use by the backup application). This one did not take care of the legacy PIMs databases ! I also read it would not restore Java files, can not comment on that.
    Resco Backup on 680: perfect, no comments.
    NVBackup on 680: perfect, no comments but does not allow for incrementals. Then again: IT IS FREEWARE !
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  9. #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by holvoetn View Post
    Not one backs up EVERYTHING since some files should better not be restored (try restoring the legacy PIMs and you might see some Datamgr.c resets flying around )

    SW registrations are usually stored in saved_preferences, all of them are able to restore this file (as well as unsaved_preferences which BTW is NOT hotsynced !).

    I used BackupMan to restore on T3: very good but was not able to restore WiFi SDIO driver (which makes perfect sense since that same driver was in use by the backup application). This one did not take care of the legacy PIMs databases ! I also read it would not restore Java files, can not comment on that.
    Resco Backup on 680: perfect, no comments.
    NVBackup on 680: perfect, no comments but does not allow for incrementals. Then again: IT IS FREEWARE !

    Thanks....I think Java would be my main concern...So...Resco does restore Java? Do you know if BackupBuddyVFS does this as well? Thank you very much for your help
  10. #10  
    Can not tell, I do not have JAVA on my device and I do not have BBVFS either.
    Care to try ?
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  11. #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Perry Holden View Post
    A hotsync backs you up on your PC, but backups on the SD card can restore you on the fly (1 file or all files) when you are away from your hotsync PC. This has come in handy for many on the forum.


    If you should have to have your unit replaced (same model) you just slap the SD card in the new unit, restore and you are on your way, right at the store.

    I back up to my SD card at least once a day.
    .
    Is there ANY difference between what is saved to the PC during sync and what is saved to the card using one of these systems in terms of completely restoring what you had in the first place? For instance, if I'm away from my PC for a few hours and need to restore, would I be better off in any way to wait until I get to my PC?
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by holvoetn View Post
    Can not tell, I do not have JAVA on my device and I do not have BBVFS either.
    Care to try ?
    I did give it a try..i just did a hard reset..and restored (hey! had to try it out sometime...my pulse was at 150) and it restored java...and most other apps...it did lose some settings for programs such as DtBook6...anyone else experience this?
  13. #13  
    THAT is not normal since DB6 settings are stored in a dedicated file (Datebk6DB). I never had this issue with neither BackupMan nor Resco nor NVBackup.

    Just a guess and/or stupid remark, can you check if that file was in the backup set to start with ?
    Are you sure it was supposed to be in the set (meaning: you did make the backup AFTER doing the settings changes ?)
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    Is there ANY difference between what is saved to the PC during sync and what is saved to the card using one of these systems in terms of completely restoring what you had in the first place? For instance, if I'm away from my PC for a few hours and need to restore, would I be better off in any way to wait until I get to my PC?
    There are files which are not synced when the backupbit is not properly toggled by the program which should have done this. I know, this is an error in the program for that application, but still ... it happens.
    Secondly, a file like unsaved_preferences is not synced either. Not the end of the world, but again, some badly written programs may have stored something there ...

    There might be some other cases but they do not come to mind right away.

    An SD backup is always a better representation of your system and far easier to restore as well ... just my opinion.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  15. #15  
    i have everything selected ...i believe..i clicked the select all button

Posting Permissions