Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Is this only going to work on 700p/CDMA devices? Why is there no metion of the 650/680!!!!???
    Good question .. just bought a 680 (Cingular) for someone. I'll post over in the Sling Media forum and see what the deal is.
    Yeah i thought of that, good idea
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    650/680 = 1Rxtt not EVDO. The application will work on it but I doubt the bandwidth will be enough.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Doesn't matter if the band with is enough. WE ALL want sling. Those of us with 680s and 650 have been craving sling too.
    Just because it is slow doesn't mean we wont try.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    If you want to feed a hotel room TV from a laptop, you need to have an S-Video or composite output from your laptop and then the hotel room TV has to be capable of accepting that feed. If this is all you want to do, you certainly don't need to wait for the Palm beta ... you just tether the data connection to your laptop and run the Slingbox for PC client. Obviously you'll get better framerates with an EVDO phone, but it might work ok with a 1X connection. You can check the Slingmedia Forums to see if anyone's using a 1X connection with any success:
    http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/topic/21/
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I wasn't bashing the 650/80 users. I was just saying this will be a reason you won't see it supported. It will run on them I am sure. maybe you can shrink the screen so it won't stutter.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    If you want to feed a hotel room TV from a laptop, you need to have an S-Video or composite output from your laptop and then the hotel room TV has to be capable of accepting that feed. If this is all you want to do, you certainly don't need to wait for the Palm beta ... you just tether the data connection to your laptop and run the Slingbox for PC client. Obviously you'll get better framerates with an EVDO phone, but it might work ok with a 1X connection. You can check the Slingmedia Forums to see if anyone's using a 1X connection with any success:
    http://www.slingcommunity.com/forum/topic/21/

I carry various cables as I don't know what I'm going to encounter with a hotel tv. The S-video is the easiest but many older tv's one needs to use the RF modulator and coax.

Once I get the Sling for palm, what I'd like to do is eliminate having to take the laptop with me. It would be sweet if I could tether the 700p to the hotel TV! It's been out for the 700's windows version for awhile now. I should check in that forum to see if anyone has got this to work with a TV yet?
    Last edited by Expidia; 01/13/2007 at 09:16 PM.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    I sure hope it works better than Orb and Sprint TV. I'm going to hold off until a few try it and report here. With Orb and Sprint TV, there are constant messages of "insufficent bandwidth" along with video freezes and dropouts (despite the settings) I question whether our beloved Treo's have the horsepower to handle it. I hope so 'cuz I'll be buyin' one if they work well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
    I think there's a 30-day free trial....so you can try it before u buy it!
    Treo 700p -->> 755p
    Quote Originally Posted by e2chris View Post
    DRE!

You should work for Orb.. Not bashing you man. You really are the Orb Guru around here. I just never take the time to set it up. No tv tuner also. I could look but maybe you know. Certain brand tvtuners or do thry all work? Also USB/PCI, matter?

Chris
    Thanks for the compliment!

Sorry for the late response but here is a list of supported hardware that works with ORB.

TV Tuners for Windows XP Users
    A supported TV Tuner is required for streaming live TV in Orb

Supported Single Analog Tuners (aka, MPEG-2 tuners)
    All tuners with a built-in hardware MPEG-2 encoder (aka. MPEG-2 tuners) including, but not limited to:

* Hauppauge: WinTV PVR-150 - Buy now and save $20!
    * Hauppauge: WinTV PVR-USB2 - Buy now and save $20!
    * Hauppauge: WinTV PVR-250, and 350
    * ADS Instant TV Deluxe PTV-305 PCI - Buy now (enter promotional code Orb305)
    * ADS Instant TV Deluxe USB (External)
    * Diamond XtremeTV PVR660 USB 2.0 - Buy now
    * Diamond XtremeTV PVR560 PCI - Buy now
    * AVerMedia UltraTV Media Center PCI 500 and PCI 550
    * Emuzed Angel Dual TV Tuner

*Important: ADS Tuners are for Windows XP only and are not compatible with Media Center Edition PCs.

Supported Over-The-Air (OTA) Digital Tuners - ATSC Tuners
    All Microsoft BDA-compatible ATSC tuners, including, but not limited to:

* ATI HDTV Wonder (Hybrid ATSC/analog PCI card)
    * VBOX: DTA-150 and DTA-151 (PCI cards)
    * VBOX: USB-A 3560 (USB-2 external); ATSC 2060
    * ATSC tuners compatible with Media Center

NOTE on DVB tuners:

1. Most DVB-T (terrestrial) digital tuners should work in Orb. However, this functionality is offered as a "beta" and is therefore not fully supported at this time.
    2. DVB-S (satellite) digital tuners do not work in Orb at this time.

Supported Dual Tuners

* Hauppauge WinTV 500MCE PCI (for Media Centers only)
    * Emuzed Angel Dual TV Tuner PCI
    * Adaptec VideOh! Media Center USB 2.0 (AVC-3610)
    * Novac NV-TV300D2 Dual-TV2
    * NVIDIA Dual-TV

Note on software-based, non-MPEG2 TV tuners
    At this time, most non-MPEG2 tuners (such as: ATI All-In-Wonder family of tuners; Hauppauge soft-PVR USB tuners; etc.) will work in Orb. However the implementation of this functionality is still in beta and therefore not supported. If you cannot make your non-MPEG2 tuner work in Orb, search Orb forum posts at forums.orb.com where issues related to this type of tuners are discussed, and basic setup tips are offered.

Set-Top Boxes
    If your TV setup includes a Set-Top Box (STB), to change TV channels in Orb you will need a Microsoft MCE-compatible Infra-Red (IR) Blaster (usually comes bundled with the MCE remote control). The following Set-Top Boxes are supported by Orb:

* TiVo Series 1 and Series 2
    * Motorola DCT-2000 to DCT-6000
    * Scientific Atlanta (SA) Explorer Series 2000 to 8000
    * Echostar 301 and 501 for Dish Networks

Remote Controls and IR Blasters
    The following Remote Controls include IR Blasters supported by Orb:

* Philips Media Center Remote Control
    * SMK Remote Control for Windows XP Media Center Edition
    * Microsoft Windows XP Media Center Edition Remote Control
    * Hewlett Packard Remote Control for Windows XP Media Center Edition
    * USB-UIRT (Universal Infrared Receiver Transmitter)
    * ADS IR Blaster

(*) NOTE: The ADS IR Blaster is for Windows XP only. It is NOT MCE-compatible and only works with the ADS Instant TV Deluxe USB tuner listed above
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmoserCTS View Post
    I actually stumbled across this slingbox in CompUSA a few days ago and had to have one... three stores later it was mine!!!!
    Only reason I picked one up was cause the smartphone support (and the Palm Treo on the box and website I assumed it would work). Two hours later and scouring through their website revealed that there was no Palm support

I sent them an email, but cant justify the purchase without being able to use it on my 700p. I travel and the only times now I could use it are at home (have a 54" widescreen and no need to stream) or in a hotel where they have a TV already. I needed something for the airports or during boring trade shows.

I am DEFINATELY going to check out this ORB and may have to pick up a tuner card... I'd lose the ondemand capabilities as well as my DVR stuff but I can probably get by with regular tv and music streams.
    In ORB 1.0 they have a DVR plugin that works with Tivo so it's just a matter of time before they port it over to version 2.0
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Doesn't matter if the band with is enough. WE ALL want sling. Those of us with 680s and 650 have been craving sling too.
    Just because it is slow doesn't mean we wont try.
    You can try but I can almost guarantee the experience won't be good watching on a 650 or 680. The download speed isn't sufficient for the stream SLING produces.
    i can deal with that. i just want it to work. i hear it doesnt woork on tzones btw. thx
    Quote Originally Posted by gijohn View Post
    From Sling's Beta Manager (Sharon Rylander) .... Palm's Sling Player beta will be online (their website) in about a week.
    It's been about 1 - 2 weeks since I received the same email from Slingbox, but I haven't received anything since then.

Anyone else have any news on the Sling Player for Palm?
    Beta testing forms supposed to go out this week. (according to Sharon's blog on Sling Community)
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    I can't wait for this. ...snip...

I wonder if I have my laptop in the car at the time if I could somehow feed the Laptops bigger screen by using the Treo's USB cable???
    You could get PDANET and use the Treo for internet access and run Slingplayer on the laptop. I'd imagine this would work better than slingplayer directly on the Treo.

-Stew
    I can do that with my mac. But, I can't sit on the toilet with that setup, I can't be in a dressin room with my wife and watch LOST with that setup. No thx. I'm waiting for Palm OS slingplayer
    Quote Originally Posted by drei22 View Post
    All Microsoft BDA-compatible ATSC tuners, including, but not limited to:

* ATI HDTV Wonder (Hybrid ATSC/analog PCI card)
    * VBOX: DTA-150 and DTA-151 (PCI cards)
    * VBOX: USB-A 3560 (USB-2 external); ATSC 2060
    * ATSC tuners compatible with Media Center
    *A heads up* I have a ATI HDTV Wonder tuner, and it does not work with orb... Orb recognizes it as a tuner, but errors out when trying to stream.... I thought it might have just been a problem unique to me, but after checking the orb forum I noticed no one else was able to get the tuner to work either....

but I can confirm that the ATI TV wonder pro does work(XP pro SP1)... You should be able to find them dirt cheap... I only paid $50 - $30 after a $20 rebate about a year or so go... Oh yeah this tuner has been renamed since ATI added vista drivers, I think its now called a ATI TV wonder 200
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Is this only going to work on 700p/CDMA devices? Why is there no metion of the 650/680!!!!???
    Hey, we 700P users have not had anything going for us since the beginning, at least we can get this Slingplayer before the rest of the Palm devices. No firmware update yet, so this is a little something for us.

For the 650, there is no hi-speed data, so that is why. The 680, it would make sense to have it. Probably want to see how this goes first.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast