Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by sndtubes View Post
    I sure hope it works better than Orb and Sprint TV. I'm going to hold off until a few try it and report here. With Orb and Sprint TV, there are constant messages of "insufficent bandwidth" along with video freezes and dropouts (despite the settings) I question whether our beloved Treo's have the horsepower to handle it. I hope so 'cuz I'll be buyin' one if they work well. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Most everyday Cable and DSL broadband connections will out of the box will give you between 256kb - 400kb upstream bandwidth. In other words you may not get a message stating "insufficient bandwidth" but your video will become jerky when there's a lot of motion on screen. For instance if you are one of the many file sharers out there you will definitely need to limit your upstream bandwidth when streaming video on Sling or ORB.
    In ORB all that needs to be done is to change your streaming codec to 3GP/SDP (forget about Windows Media) and adjust the bandwidth used by ORB. The sweet spot for me is around 250kb this gives me a very solid video stream.

Also remember that ORB has other purposes besides Live TV.

Remote document access
    Remote disk access
    Photo Album
    Music Streaming
    Video Streaming
    Video Mail
    Remote WebCam monitoring
    RSS Feeds
    Google, YouTube, Yahoo and DailyMotion Video feeds can be searched
    Outlook Contacts viewing
    Also all of the Video, Picture and Music features can be hardlinked for sharing with others.

And then you have the MyCast PC desktop interface which is fully customizable for you and whomever else you give account acces to.

Use your Sling box as I have one myself. But keep your ORB software running as a compliment it has too many features not to install it. All for the price of FREE and it doesn't need any extra hardware for these features unless you want to stream Live TV. And who doesn't like free stuff?

Just my 2 cents,

DREi

P.S.
    Sprint TV sucks in general.
    Orb ... PC only? Lost me.
    From Sling's Beta Manager (Sharon Rylander) .... Palm's Sling Player beta will be online (their website) in about a week.
    Whoa - her message said a "beta application form" would be on the web in about a week. As much as I'd like it, I'm not interpreting that as beta player availability. I expect the form to state the beta terms and conditions.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Opps .... MY BAD .... I apologize for my post. I'll learn to read more carefully one day. <grin>
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    DRE!

You should work for Orb.. Not bashing you man. You really are the Orb Guru around here. I just never take the time to set it up. No tv tuner also. I could look but maybe you know. Certain brand tvtuners or do thry all work? Also USB/PCI, matter?

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by drei22 View Post
    Most everyday Cable and DSL broadband connections will out of the box will give you between 256kb - 400kb upstream bandwidth. In other words you may not get a message stating "insufficient bandwidth" but your video will become jerky when there's a lot of motion on screen. For instance if you are one of the many file sharers out there you will definitely need to limit your upstream bandwidth when streaming video on Sling or ORB.
    In ORB all that needs to be done is to change your streaming codec to 3GP/SDP (forget about Windows Media) and adjust the bandwidth used by ORB. The sweet spot for me is around 250kb this gives me a very solid video stream.

Also remember that ORB has other purposes besides Live TV.

Remote document access
    Remote disk access
    Photo Album
    Music Streaming
    Video Streaming
    Video Mail
    Remote WebCam monitoring
    RSS Feeds
    Google, YouTube, Yahoo and DailyMotion Video feeds can be searched
    Outlook Contacts viewing
    Also all of the Video, Picture and Music features can be hardlinked for sharing with others.

And then you have the MyCast PC desktop interface which is fully customizable for you and whomever else you give account acces to.

Use your Sling box as I have one myself. But keep your ORB software running as a compliment it has too many features not to install it. All for the price of FREE and it doesn't need any extra hardware for these features unless you want to stream Live TV. And who doesn't like free stuff?

Just my 2 cents,

DREi

P.S.
    Sprint TV sucks in general.
    I actually stumbled across this slingbox in CompUSA a few days ago and had to have one... three stores later it was mine!!!!
    Only reason I picked one up was cause the smartphone support (and the Palm Treo on the box and website I assumed it would work). Two hours later and scouring through their website revealed that there was no Palm support

I sent them an email, but cant justify the purchase without being able to use it on my 700p. I travel and the only times now I could use it are at home (have a 54" widescreen and no need to stream) or in a hotel where they have a TV already. I needed something for the airports or during boring trade shows.

I am DEFINATELY going to check out this ORB and may have to pick up a tuner card... I'd lose the ondemand capabilities as well as my DVR stuff but I can probably get by with regular tv and music streams.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregmoserCTS View Post
    Two hours later and scouring through their website revealed that there was no Palm support
    Patience ..... if you can stand the "suspense" <grin>. Rumors/projections put the player on Palm OS during this quarter. I'm still hunting, looking around but I could have sworn I read something somewhere that even by the end of this month was a possibility.
    Can't remember where I saw it, but it sounded like there might be a beta within 30 days from CES (early Feb) with production release by the end of March.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    and a Public Beta at that.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Can't remember where I saw it, but it sounded like there might be a beta within 30 days from CES (early Feb) with production release by the end of March.
    Trouble is stores only give you X amount of days to return it. I'll take this one back just to prove a point to Sling that Palm OS isn't dead.

In 30 days or so once the bugs are fixed I'll pick up a new one.

I have time now that I have Orb I'm diggin it so far.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    I can't wait for this. I've owned the Slingbox for about a year and it's the coolest gadget ever!

When I'm in a hotel I use the Slingbox tow watch shows I've recorded on my bedrooms DVR or rent a movie a lot cheaper than the hotels fee.

I run a cable to the hotel's tv from my laptop and watch it full size.

But this software for the Palm OS will be the best and even force me back onto Verizon's unlimited Evdo plan. I'm on the $25 a month one now but as soon as I can get the Sling for the 700 working this will be great.

Soon I'll be able to sit in my car while my wife is food shopping for her usual 1 hour plus run through (has read every ingredient on the label and stroll slowly down every aisle). I will be able to watch shows I've saved like CSI Miami.

Shop on wifey

I wonder if I have my laptop in the car at the time if I could somehow feed the Laptops bigger screen by using the Treo's USB cable???
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    Wonder how much battery life is sacrificed?
    How does one run a cable from one's laptop (or computer) to a television? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gijohn View Post
    In the car I would just use my cig lighter adapter for power.
    Palm III,V>6035>7135>650>700p (on Vzn), PalmBT Treo Hdset>i-Trek BT GPS>TomTom Nav6>755p
    So will this kill tcpmp?
    Global Posts
    740 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CheckPt.Charlie View Post
    How does one run a cable from one's laptop (or computer) to a television? Thanks.
    I don't know if this is even possible, yet. that's why I asked the same question.

I ask this because using my Slingbox that is attached to my DVR at home I can send the signal to my laptop and pass it on to a hotel TV's larger screen. Depending on the connections the hotel tv has I bring and RF modulator with me in case it does not have the 3 RCA connections (red, white, yellow). Then I use the coax cable off the RF modulator to the TV's coax in.

I can listen to the TV's speakers or my portable Ipod speakers for better sound when watching a movie.

This setup is great when I stay over a relatives house for a week and I'm stuck with a small tv with 3 stations because they didn't run cable to the 3rd bedroom.

So I wonder if its a software issue or a cable issue for me to be able to pass the Treo slingbox setup signal over to a laptop or to a TV?
    Since it's not available yet, I don't know if it will have this ability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Expidia View Post
    I don't know if ...
    I ask this because...
    I can listen to ..
    This setup is great...
    So I wonder...
    I don't know if it will have this ability.
    My Freebie Java Widgets (Compatible with 650, 680, 700p & 755p)
    HourlyXCast - Hourly & 7 Day Forecasts! Weather Graphics, Radar Images & Alerts. "When 'PM Showers' just doesn't cut it"
    - RottenTomatoMeter - Movie Ratings, Reviews, Showtimes for New Movies & DVDs
    - TV2Nite - Calendar Events for your Favorite TV Shows!
    Quote Originally Posted by gijohn View Post
    My slightly educated guess is 10-15% per hour. From my experience, it's about 10% per hour watching movies. Given that the EVDO connection would be active, but I'd guess that might be another 5%.
    Quote Originally Posted by kocoman View Post
    So will this kill tcpmp?
    No.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast