Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    "Today at the CES consumer electronics convention in Las Vegas, SlingMedia and Palm announced SlingPlayer Mobile for Palm OS. It's expected to work on several vesions of the Treo smartphone at near broadband speeds. SlingPlayer allows users to watch and control home television viewing using their wireless devices. It's a remarkable technology that we will cover in great detail on mytreo.net."

From MTDN, fill story here http://mytreo.net/archives/2007/01/s...r-palm-os.html

About time too, shame i have already made the jump lik emay others.
    Good news all the less.
    Nokia 3210 > Nokia 3310 >Palm Vx > Palm M105 >Treo 180g and Nokia 8850 > Treo 270 > Treo 600 > Sony TH55 > Tapwave Zodiac 2 > Treo 650 GSM > Imate KJam > Treo 750v

Formerly Known As PRANKSTAR
    Posted 4 hours ago and no replies. Suffice it to say that this didn't have as much impact as it would have a few months ago?
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    I'm happy about this! I tested out the 700wx for a couple of weeks, just to see what I was missing, and the SlingPlayer Mobile was the only standout feature (for me) that I couldn't get on my 700p. I returned the 700wx and went back to using my 700p (as the better of two evils), but I wasn't thrilled about losing SlingPlayer Mobile. Now I'll be getting it back (at 320x320, no less) and if the ROM update materializes as well, I'll be a really happy camper!
    will there be 680 support? That's all I care about.
    Quote Originally Posted by skfny View Post
    Posted 4 hours ago and no replies. Suffice it to say that this didn't have as much impact as it would have a few months ago?
    Well, I've been patiently waiting and partly on speculation, got the Slingbox for Christmas knowing the Palm player would arrive sooner or later. I'm psyched!
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    It states that it wont be ready until Q1 07.....now is that sometime in July - September 2007??
    Why is this better than Orb?
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    quarter 1 is january, february, march. and how is it different than orb??? someone want to chime in here?
    I ask because I have tuner card(s) in my PC and can therefore control them and my PVR (and any media files) on my PC using Orb.
    I suppose Sling will do all that for someone who is using conventional TV etc instead of tuner cards...
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    212 Global Posts
    I am very excited about this! I have an ibook, but I broke iut an old hp laptop to try out orb. It was pretty cool, but I didn't have a tv card installed, so no tv for me.

I am looking forward to slingbox, so I can just hook it direct to my cable box and have streaming video whenever I want. I hated having to use my HP laptop, when slingbox for the Palm comes out, back goes the Windows machine for good!
    Palm IIIe -> Visor Deluxe -> Palm 505 -> Clie tj37 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 700P
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    I ask because I have tuner card(s) in my PC and can therefore control them and my PVR (and any media files) on my PC using Orb.
    I suppose Sling will do all that for someone who is using conventional TV etc instead of tuner cards...
    I don't have any experience to tell you how the video compares, but the essentially they do the same thing - the slingbox hardware does the same function as the PC+Tuner card+Orb+internet connection.

The slingbox can control multiple source devices though (DVR/CD/DVD/radio/whatever), so in theory could stream any audio/video/both from them. You could do most/all of this from a PC as well with perhaps the exception of controlling a DVR/PPV unless your tuner card did that too.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    So will EDGE on the 680 be fast enough? Is it fast enough for EDGE enable WinMobile devices?
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    I\'m happy about this! I tested out the 700wx for a couple of weeks, just to see what I was missing, and the SlingPlayer Mobile was the only standout feature (for me) that I couldn\'t get on my 700p. I returned the 700wx and went back to using my 700p (as the better of two evils), but I wasn\'t thrilled about losing SlingPlayer Mobile. Now I\'ll be getting it back (at 320x320, no less) and if the ROM update materializes as well, I\'ll be a really happy camper!
    Wise decision.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I want to hear how good it should look on the 320x320 screen or if sling crippled it somehow.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Exactly. I'm excited about Slingbox for Palm for this very reason. I will be able to watch/control my 240gb dvr from my 700p.
    Global Posts
    154 Global Posts
    Why is this better than Orb?
    I have the same question...What is the compelling reason to purchase a slingbox? While orb provides the same capabiliites (cable tv) viewing and recording... MP3, DVD, Video, Photo streaming and Document support... Am I missing something?
    Global Posts
    788 Global Posts
    i guess we'll need the tethering $15 (VZW) paid to use this..i imagine this will eat up sum serious bandwidth
    M505 -> M515 -> Kyo6035 -> Kyo 7135 -> Treo 600 ->Treo 650 -> Treo 700P -> Treo 700 WX -> Samsung Saga VZW
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkAv8r View Post
    I have the same question...What is the compelling reason to purchase a slingbox? While orb provides the same capabiliites (cable tv) viewing and recording... MP3, DVD, Video, Photo streaming and Document support... Am I missing something?
    Orb requires a tuner card in a PC to do all that. SlingBox doesn't.
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BlkAv8r View Post
    You really need to play with a Slingbox to fully understand, but I'll try to explain (and I've only been able to use the Slingplayer Mobile very briefly while I tested the 700wx):
    - You can Sling any device with a composite or S-Video output (and with the HD version, you can now Sling a component output) and, more than likely (99%?), also have seamless and complete remote control support over that device, whether it's a VCR, DVR, cable box, satellite receiver, or whatever.
    - The Slingbox is also designed to be a consumer electronics device, and the setup is truly a breeze. With UPnP routers, you may not have to do any real configuring of your own ... you know the setting up of the network info for the Slingbox, the ports being used and forwarded, etc ... all those pesky little details that can drive sane people crazy before they open the firewall to everything just so they can see if it actually works. Whether you're setting it up for the first time or you're just quickly moving the Slingbox into another room to Sling another device, it'll only be a couple of minutes before its up and running.
    - The Slingbox optimizes the traffic to deliver the best picture it can to each client. The PC client wizard actually goes thru a couple step process presenting two slightly different streams, so you can actually get the type of picture quality that you like on that particular PC (given it's video card and processing horsepower). I don't recall if there was a similar option on the Mobile version though.
    - If you're at all energy conscious, the Slingbox uses a fraction of the energy that any PC does. For comparison, my Slingbox Classic uses around 0.01 KWH/Hr while my PC is around 0.12 KWH/Hr, which translates to a $12 annual bill vs a $150 annual bill.

You basically will be paying for a well thought out device that does its job exceedingly well. Given the right hardware, you can probably Orb anything that you can Slingbox, but it will be more kludgy and less elegant and less reliable.

For my situation, I decided to skip a tuner card and go with the Slingbox, even though I've played with Orb and liked it when I had it working properly. It's the same reason I use several ReplayTV's and Tivo's even though I could in theory build a couple of MythTV boxes.
    Very well said tc600. Before I say anything else, I want to lay down some flame retardant by saying I have absolutely no bias one way or another. My tuner card is 7 years old and too slow to Orb with so I've never tried it. My questions are out of ignorance, not sarcasm.

With more recent tuner cards or whatever connections you've set up, can you remotely watch OnDemand (e.g. Comcast/TWC)? If so, how? I'm assuming here that there is something proprietary in the STB that the tuner cards can't duplicate.

Do you have to do anything special (port forwarding, etc) that might compromise firewall security an Orb-based setup? You do have to open two ports for Sling (the setup wizard did it right the first time for me - very easy). Do you have to do something similar to allow remote access to the PC to control the source(s) or can that be done remotely?

One other advantage of the Slingbox is that it's small. In my house, the STB/Slingbox is in the family room in a cabinet stuffed with tons of other hardware. There's simply no room to put in a dedicated PC and I don't have a laptop to devote to the purpose either.
    Last edited by tomvb2000; 01/10/2007 at 09:06 AM. Reason: fat finger
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast