Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I must say that I'm surprised. In the email that was sent to me from sling's beta testing it said that it sometimes worked and sometimes no.

Well I have been watching TV for about 2 hours now and no crashes so far.
    --------------
    The Judge
    Houston, Tx.
    yep, I just found that out. I bought one last night tried using it on my Mac and 680 at the same time. No go.
    Dang where do u live, the MOON?!. I don't knw too many (heck, I don't knw any) places without internet service in the USA. If u have phone service u should have internet in these modern ages.
    Yes, u will need a internet connection to have Sling working.
    Global Posts
    442 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by judge View Post
    I must say that I'm surprised. In the email that was sent to me from sling's beta testing it said that it sometimes worked and sometimes no.

Well I have been watching TV for about 2 hours now and no crashes so far.
    Hi

The player is "optimized" for the 700p on a 3G (EVDO) network. The 680 runs on a slower network. It's not that the player will "know" it's running on a 680 and crash it on purpose.. it's that the 680 doesn't have the data throughput that the 700p has, because it's on a slower network.. but hey, if it works, knock yerself out .. (Or upgrade to a 700p, or wait until Sling releases a version optimized for the 680.. or Hell, do whatever you want.. {{grin}}.. The 680 also has a smaller-capacity stock battery, umm.. 1200mAh vs. 1800mAh, (I think).. than the 700p, although there are extended batteries out there.. all the way up to.. uhh.. I forget.. I've got a couple of Seidio's 3200mAh monsters for my 700p.. I think they go up to 2400mAh for the smaller 680.. streaming full-motion video is VERY CPU intensive and a real battery-eater.. it's just the nature of the beast.. I mean running this player is pushing a phone to do things that push it about as hard as you can push a ~300mHz CPU (with no fan on it).. so after streaming a while, if the battery hasn't conked out, the phone might get kinda warm..

I can see it now - someone will come up with a new "Sling Player optimized" style case with a built-in gel pack.. just put it in your freezer over night ..

Harv
    Last edited by hrlaser; 03/29/2007 at 04:05 PM.
    Do NOT send email to harv at treocentral dot com - it will never reach me.. forwarding from that address to my real address was hijacked in early 2008, and I can't fix it.. send me a private message instead or email me directly at my RR address..
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zelgo View Post
    Unfortunately Sprint has spotty reception where I work.

Can the SlingBox be attached to a TIVO??
    Sure can ... I've got it attached to an HD Tivo (HR10-250).
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    Switch into the "123" keyboard mode (the spacebar is the quick toggle) and you should be able to use the 5-way to cursor up/down/left/right and center button SELECT.
    Thanks - that definitely works. I finally had a chance to read the user manual (yea I know, only 6 pages but I was running around all day) and they pointed it out there too. Hadn't noticed before that the 5way nav does something different when in remote (vs 123) mode.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Buy.com has slingbox av's for $125 with free shipping. FYI
    I love to sling, specially on my commute and during lunch. The Treo definitely draws a lot of looks on the subway. It's good to know I will get A LOT more channels than what is available with the carriers' TV services, and my TV will be free.
    A new Avatar to commemorate Silly Season.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Thanks for the tip smileyboy.
    Quote Originally Posted by smileyboy View Post
    Now it's $115.
    http://www.buy.com/retail/product.as...54&dcaid=17654
    couple of weeks ago paid almost 200 for the AV at Best buy . Wish I waited. just got a second one for 115 . thanks.
    For those with a 650 and wish to get SlingPlayer working.

I previously discovered that you needed Kinoma Player EX installed in order to have the SlingPlayer work on the 650. Note, on the 680/700 it works fine, which led me to say what's the 680 got that the 650 doesn't. The following two files listed below are included on the 680 which the SlingPlayer needs. You can get these files from the 680 rom dump or if anyone bought Kinoma, you can technically install the program and using filez delete everything it installed except the following.

kinomaAACLib.prc (141KB, this is the decoding codec you need for audio)
    kinomaVideoMPEG4Lib.prc (556KB, this is the decoding codec you need for video)
    Does anyone have a Treo 680 and can post the two files needed for us Treo 650 owners?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    From left field: a little off topic but was wondering if anyone would mind allowing me to test/trial their sling channel... I recently downloaded the prc and have it installed but have not been able to test the software due to lack of hardware. before going out and shelling-out all this cash for an av box, I wanted to test it... any suggestions ?
    I think slingmedia has a test site. Look around or contact their sales department.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    zelgo- slingbox use internet? nah its using pixie dust to transmit.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by TR30 View Post
    I actually use a wired surveillance camera (this surveillance camera to be exact) which a 50 ft AV cable is connected to. I currently have it setup outside. The AV cables are connected to a wireless AV transmitter, which I have one setup in the garage. And the other transmitter is in my room, which has AV cables connected to my Slingbox.

So that's pretty much my setup. From the SlingPlayer, I can toggle between the various AV input.

A word of caution FWIW - picking up conversations using the audio portion of that camera could technically violate California's wiretap law ( 631, 632) that requires the consent of ALL parties to eavesdrop on a conversation.
    Quote Originally Posted by ebestbuyer View Post
    Does anyone have a Treo 680 and can post the two files needed for us Treo 650 owners?
    mods not sure if I'm breaking any rules or not, if so please delete

< < Note from Septimus: Yeah, I'm sorry, need to delete, per the guidelines > >
    Last edited by Dieter Bohn; 04/06/2007 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by socomon View Post
    A word of caution FWIW - picking up conversations using the audio portion of that camera could technically violate California's wiretap law ( 631, 632) that requires the consent of ALL parties to eavesdrop on a conversation.
    Thanks for the heads up. I actually disconnected the audio cables because of the irritating static noise I get through the wireless transmitter.
    Quote Originally Posted by opacityzero View Post
    For those with a 650 and wish to get SlingPlayer working.

I previously discovered that you needed Kinoma Player EX installed in order to have the SlingPlayer work on the 650. Note, on the 680/700 it works fine, which led me to say what's the 680 got that the 650 doesn't. The following two files listed below are included on the 680 which the SlingPlayer needs. You can get these files from the 680 rom dump or if anyone bought Kinoma, you can technically install the program and using filez delete everything it installed except the following.

kinomaAACLib.prc (141KB, this is the decoding codec you need for audio)
    kinomaVideoMPEG4Lib.prc (556KB, this is the decoding codec you need for video)
    My guess is that Sling and Kinoma probably worked together in some capacity on the SlingPlayer -- if nothing else it's very interesting that the SlingPlayer takes advantage of those files in ROM. Until SlingPlayer is final, I wouldn't recommend going out and buying Kinoma EX and assuming that it will enable SlingPlayer for 650s - this sort of stuff can change.

In any case, I did need to take those files down as they're part of software that needs to be paid for either by getting Kinoma EX or by buying a more recent Treo.
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast