Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by tc600 View Post
    - You can Sling any device with a composite or S-Video output (and with the HD version, you can now Sling a component output) and, more than likely (99%?), also have seamless and complete remote control support over that device, whether it's a VCR, DVR, cable box, satellite receiver, or whatever.
    This is really important to those of use who don't have cable. I have DirectTV and Tivo. The fact that the Sling Box works with just about any A/V device is pretty cool. In essence, the Sling Box just replaces your TV Monitor, but does it remotely.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    where can I signup for the beta?
    Go to http://www.slingcommunity.com/blog/7425/ and sign up for their beta. I already got my confimation. They expect the beta to be released at the end of this week. Can't wait to see how my Slingbox Pro looks on the 700P. Should be pretty cool no matter what.
    Unless you got something different than I did, my beta confirmation said they'd have the application form on the web sometime this week. I think that's probably just terms and conditions, not the actual app.

I hope you're right though.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    thx hopefully i'll get to beta test it one my 680.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000 View Post
    Unless you got something different than I did, my beta confirmation said they'd have the application form on the web sometime this week. I think that's probably just terms and conditions, not the actual app.

I hope you're right though.
    I stand corrected. You're 100% right. It's to get on a list that might get you on the list!
    I talked to SlingMedia today. They said expect PALM OS late March. I asked if that was for beta or final product, and he responded they had no way to tell.
    Good grief.
    I'm sure late March will be the production version. I believe their original announcement said beta availability "within 30 days" from CES announcement (which would be mid-Feb) and production by the end of 1Q07.
    Palm Pilot-->Handspring Visor-->Treo 300-->Treo 600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700p+E62-->Treo700p+Curve (8300)-->Curve (8330)
    Global Posts
    306 Global Posts
    The blog now says that the application for the Palm beta will be put up next week ... start polishing your arguments for being put into the first wave of testers!
    Last edited by tc600; 01/23/2007 at 07:00 PM.
    Do you have to do anything special (port forwarding, etc) that might compromise firewall security an Orb-based setup? You do have to open two ports for Sling (the setup wizard did it right the first time for me - very easy). Do you have to do something similar to allow remote access to the PC to control the source(s) or can that be done remotely?
    Will opening ports be an issue for me if I plan to put the SlingBox at work behind a corporate firewall? We have a TV feed at work, and that's what I want to sling.

Will I need my IS department to do this, or will I be able to do it myself?

Thanks
    That's really hard to answer since it depends on your corporate policy for network bandwidth use and/or just how paranoid your IS department is (what security measures they've put in place).

I work for a Fortune 500 technology firm and definitely can't sling through the corporate network. Security is tight but watching TV wouldn't be an acceptable use of network bandwidth either.

If your job somehow involves TV (e.g. journalism) it might be ok. Course once the PalmOS SlingPlayer comes out, it'll mostly be a moot point since it won't use the corporate network at all. Watching TV at work would still be a problem for my job.
    Has anyone been approved into the Palm OS beta yet?
    Not I.
    Looks like they added to the blog just today...last days to sign up.

Wonder if this would work on my Visor Prism. Any ideas?
    Visor Handspring Prism and more accesories then I ever use.
    Isn't that OS4?

Do you have an ethernet springboard or something? GSM VisorPhone won't cut it
    OS 3.5 I was thinking about an ethernet springboard card but would hate to buy one to find out that the slingplayer wouldn't run on it anyhow.
    Visor Handspring Prism and more accesories then I ever use.
    The multimedia capabilities of Palm OS prior to 5 were slim. You'd be better off getting one of the newer Palm handhelds with 802.11 or support for the 802.11 SD card and landscape display. That wouldn't be a bad Sling "terminal".
    OK, thanks. Actually, TV is ok for my job, since we have Bloomberg TV and CNBC on all day at work.
    If your job somehow involves TV (e.g. journalism) it might be ok. Course once the PalmOS SlingPlayer comes out, it'll mostly be a moot point since it won't use the corporate network at all.
    I'm not sure what you're saying here, however. Is there something different about the PalmOS Slingplayer that will mean it doesn't need the corporate network? What I'm proposing is that I'm on the road (out of the office) and want to watch the Bloomberg or CNBC feed that we have in the office. So if I put a Slingbox in there, you're saying I don't even have to worry about corporate issues if I'm using the PalmOS Slingplayer?
    Quote Originally Posted by jaginger View Post
    OK, thanks. Actually, TV is ok for my job, since we have Bloomberg TV and CNBC on all day at work.

I'm not sure what you're saying here, however. Is there something different about the PalmOS Slingplayer that will mean it doesn't need the corporate network? What I'm proposing is that I'm on the road (out of the office) and want to watch the Bloomberg or CNBC feed that we have in the office. So if I put a Slingbox in there, you're saying I don't even have to worry about corporate issues if I'm using the PalmOS Slingplayer?
    If the Slingbox is at work, it still needs the corporate network to get out to the internet so that your laptop or Treo can receive what it's sending. On the other hand, if the Slingbox is at home with an internet connection, no corporate network connection is needed.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast