View Poll Results: Which is a better contact manager for palm?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Key Suite

9 34.62%
  • Agendus

17 65.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I am torn between the pros and cons of these 2 competing apps. What can any current or past users share with me to help decide which one to purchase?

Abe

Agendus-
    http://iambic.com

Key Suite
    http://www.chapura.com/keysuite.php
    Last edited by abesuperior; 01/08/2007 at 08:49 AM.
    what r the differences that you are struglling with....

any functionality WAY different on one then the other that you feel might be worth the difference...I use agendus now and am not familiar with Key suite and might make a change so i am curious...thanks
    Key Suite Pros:
    More fields (for contacts) 19 phone numbers, 3 emails, etc.
    Over 250 categories

Agendus Pros:
    Integrated much better = interaction between contacts, task, meetings
    Web integration - 411 search and add to your address book
    Weather, quotes, day-in-history integration to Today View
    MUCH nicer GUI interface (eye candy)
    Integration with email (Agendus Mail)

I'm sure there's much more others will come up with but I think the scale's already tipped far enough in Agendus' favor!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
    I used to use Agendus but I now use Key Suite.

The Key Suite's advantages that I really like:

* 255 Categories.
    * Each item can belong to multiple categories.
    * Multiple databases.

I run my own small business and use the multiple category feature to keep track of the type of work, which customer, and what tools I need for the task, calendar entry or note.

I use the multiple database mostly for the calendar where I have a calendar for each member of my family. I can see when my wife or kids have some activity so I can make my appointments and know that they fit with my family life.

The main drawback to Key Suite is that 3rd party applications such as Datemate do not work with it. I have found a work around this, but it is clumsy.
    I can say nothing of KeySuite, but I will say I'll not even try Agendus (until I'm confident things have changed) for the following reasons:

1. Devious tactics used a number of years ago to lure customers away from Datebk5.

2. Software bugs (which I've not experienced, but am aware of via word of mouth, and plenty of it).

3. Charging bucks for upgrades that provide more bugfixes than greater functionality.

Maybe I ought to try it to see for myself. But whatever I would dIscover wouldn't negate item 1.
    I have been using PocketMirror (Chapura) and DateBook (PimlicoSoftware) (starting with v3.x) for 5+ years. DB6's linking capabilities are a HUGE plus. I store directions to a client location in the contact and by linking the appointment to the contact I had directions with two taps (especially useful for clients that you visit sporadically). Unfortunately these links have to be created manually on the Palm rather than sync'd from Outlook. DateBook6's month view is superb! It shows icons for appointments based on the category or an icon that you attach to the task or appointment. This allowed me to quickly assess travel dates, busy days, etc without having to switch between the day and month views. Another nice feature was that DB6 allowed for recurring tasks to automatically be advanced by a preset time (great for things like oil changes, mailing bills, etc). PocketMirror did an excellent job of keeping all of the data sync'd.

The biggest downside to this approach is that DB6 is not Outlook "aware;" it doesn't support multiple categories, if you create new icons in the wrong place in the icon database many of your icons will be linked incorrectly. Another issue is that links are stored as a bunch of characters in the text field of the appoinment (this could be confusing if you invited attendees to a meeting that was created in DB6 and sync'd to Outlook). If you remove the characters the link disappears!

I have tried Dataviz' BeyondContacts, the sync time was incredibly slow. Anything more than a 5 minute hot sync is unacceptable.

After reading this post I decided to download both Agendus and KeySuite. For a person who lives in Outlook and spends a lot of time on the road KeySuite wins hands down - no competition! Now I can do all of the things DB6 does AND have multiple categories, separate folders and sync it all! FANTASTIC! I'd like to be able to use icons for appointments in the month view but KeySuite syncs the color coding of appointments with Outlook so appointments appear as different color flags. The small display on my Treo makes it hard to see the colors clearly but I imagine that I'll get used to it with time.

Agendus while considerably less expensive than KeySuite, was a lot like DB6 except it added contact functionality. The comments about new versions being just bug fixes scared me off a bit and the fact that they are shipping version 11.x seemed to support sblanter's position. I've been palming for 10+ years and NONE of my software versions are higher than DateBook6.

As an added bonus the sync time is actually shorter than it was with DB6 & Pocket Mirror combo. I vote for KeySuite.
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post
    I can say nothing of KeySuite, but I will say I'll not even try Agendus (until I'm confident things have changed) for the following reasons:

1. Devious tactics used a number of years ago to lure customers away from Datebk5.

2. Software bugs (which I've not experienced, but am aware of via word of mouth, and plenty of it).

3. Charging bucks for upgrades that provide more bugfixes than greater functionality.

Maybe I ought to try it to see for myself. But whatever I would dIscover wouldn't negate item 1.
    On #1, the then owner of iambic made a public apology (not sure if anything exchanged hands, so to speak) and he no longer has any interest in the company. What more do you want iambic to do? Do you still hate Japanese living today because of Pearl Harbor?

but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses. Matthew 6:15

#2 - Agendus is one of, if not the most complex Palm OS software in existence. With the introduction of Palm's NVFS memory management system, which you ask any Palm OS developer, has really made life tough, and the variety of devices, each with different quirks - did I mention Palm changes the phone integration on each successive Treo it's released? Well, I hope you are beginning to get an appreciation for the difficulty of making a new feature work. Often times a fix for a Treo will break that feature in some way for a TX or LifeDrive, etc.

#3 - iambic develops products in successive "builds." Minor releases always have a sequential build number (skipping numbers when development builds were not released, but which fixed one or more bugs). Running parallel to this developers are working on new features. When a significant number of new features are ready for release, the next public release is deemed a "major" update, i.e. not a "dot" release, but a new version. Yes, there are unsolved bugs that developers are still trying to resolve, but if we put it up for a vote: "do you, our customers want us to hold off giving you these new features (OK, $9.95 upgrade) for weeks or months to fix a few more bugs, or do you want them now?" Guess what the overwhelming response would be?

On the $9.95: all successful businesses have to have cash flow. iambic has employees to pay and overhead expenses to pay and these things do require money. There are companies that didn't do a good job of managing "cash flow" that are either out of business or very close (SplashData). I'll gladly ante up $10 every so often to keep a company or individual developer "whole" so they can continue to do business and improve their products and introduce new ones.

I do hope I've addressed your questions and concerns about iambic and Agendus.
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  8.    #8  
    I thank everyone for your comments.

I downloaded both trials on my treo 700p, and I am having a tough time deciding between the 2. I like agendus because I think its appointments are better and more costomisable. Also as wellsjs mentioned I think its contacts-tasks and appointments are better intergrated. I like that its together as oppose to keysuite when I click on an appointment in keytoday mode it jumps to the calendar (and I cant get back to keytoday by backing up???). And when I click on an appointment of in a (key)contacts "view activities" it jumps to the keydates - and I cant back up to that contact rather go back into keycontacts and search for the contact again??? I also like it better because it uses the palms existing cont. and other...etc.

My problem is as follows: Agendus works much slower on my phone and even tends to make my treo freeze. I sometimes search under a contact and the appointment I made for that contact doesnt show up. While Keysuite works exceptionaly quick on my treo! Its like as if its a palm software that came with my phone, and everything works as its supposed to.

If anyone has anything to say about these issues I mentioned I would love to hear it.

Thanks Again, oh and by the way Agendus is winning the vote!
  9.    #9  
    Oh I forgot to mention one more good thing about Keysuite- its keytoday view is much neater and easier to read. Its caterogized much better then all the views agendus offers.
  10.    #10  
    Whats with Act for palm? Is any one familiar with it? How does it compare?

http://www.act.com/products/mobile/palm/index.cfm
    The integration of contacts with tasks and contacts with meetings is what has always sold me and kept me with Agendus.
    Thanks,

Mark

Palm III > Palm Vx > Sony Clie PEG760N > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    255 Categories.
    * Each item can belong to multiple categories

can agendus do this?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Keysuite also does recurring tasks correctly for days, months, years. Agendus only does it for days. So if in Outlook or the Palm Desktop, you have a recurring todo after 8 months, Agendus changes it to 8 days. They refuse to correct this so I have deleted it the last 4 updates.
    Quote Originally Posted by bbaratz View Post
    Keysuite also does recurring tasks correctly for days, months, years. Agendus only does it for days. So if in Outlook or the Palm Desktop, you have a recurring todo after 8 months, Agendus changes it to 8 days. They refuse to correct this so I have deleted it the last 4 updates.
    Is that so? Then explain why weekly, monthly, yearly tasks are working for me perfectly?

Maybe you should rephrase that: "Because of something going on in my task database, they don't work for me!"
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Wellsjs
    I said redos or reocurring tasks do not work unless the redo is in days. If you do a task in Outlook and the recurrence to regenerate the task is in 8 months, agendus changes it to 8 days. The builtin palm task database is correct, but Agendus does not use the builtin task record properly. In fact changing the due date in Agendus then going into tasks and editing the record causes a reset of the Treo 700p.
    In fact in Agendus you can't redo a task in Months or Years, but you can in the builtin palm task database or the Palm Desktop.
    Again, then explain why my task to clean the gutters of my house every 6 months (select Repeat -> Month -> Every <enter 6> Month(s) has been working for me for years?

In Outlook are you using Agendus or Outlook edit dialogs? If Outlook, that might explain some of the mistranslations. Always best to use Agendus edit dialogs.
    Quote Originally Posted by sblanter View Post

#1 and #2 are more of past than present problems.
    (I never knew about #1.)
    (They've gotten much better at having less bugs in more recent releases. I didn't use 10 unitl around 10.3 or 10.4. 11 was usable in 11.1)

#3 is still an issue, but their upgrade price is reasonable. They offer discounts to some other products and I've always been able to go to their web site to get unlock codes when I need to reinstall and have forgotten them.

I've never used KeySuite, or DateBk6. Yes, Agendus can be slow at times, but I'm willing to put up with a second or two of slowness to get all the functionality it provides.

[I did not vote in your poll, as I've never used KeySuite, so my vote would not be fair.]

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Wellsjs,
    You are not listening or reading what I said, not repeat, but redo.
    Agendus calls it a redo, outlook calls it a recurrence which will regenerate this tasks due date from the date of completion. I don't know how else to explain it to you. This has been for the last year reported multiple times and confirmed by your Agendus support team, but your programmers haven't updated your software to do this regeneration of task due date from the date of completion for other than days. I have many redos setup for months and years. So I try your update, see nothing has been done because it is a pain to remember not to use agendus on one of these redos, and I go back to Keysuite. You don't have to report this to your programmers, they have known about it for a long time..
    Quote Originally Posted by bbaratz View Post
    Wellsjs
    I said redos or reocurring tasks do not work unless the redo is in days.
    OK, not to argue or belabor the point, you have to admit this is rather ambiguous!

If you've had communication that iambic plans to add months, etc. to redos, then it's a matter of priorities as to when they get to it. New features/enhancements are driven by customer demand and I doubt this one has a lot of "push" compared to some other requests. In the mean time, how imposing is it to select, say 180 days when you need a six-month redo, or 365 days when you need a 1-year redo?
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    Wellsjs,
    The maximum number of days is 255. So you can't update to a year. I already tried to do that workaround.
    Your program is supposed to be an enhancement, so when it does not match the minimum of the builtin palm task database, it is unacceptable to have to think about work arounds as you are suggesting.
    So it comes down to that I paid for a program that was supposed to enhance the builtin palm databases, but it is unusable to me since you have to use workarounds. If your programmers at the least would use the builtin tasks as they are, it would make it a program I could use. Then if they think of something to make the tasks better, then change it. Right now the builtin is better in the handling of tasks, than Agendus..
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast