View Poll Results: Which is a better contact manager for palm?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Key Suite

    9 34.62%
  • Agendus

    17 65.38%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 45
  1. #21  
    I just bought KeySuite
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
  2. #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by bbaratz View Post
    Your program is supposed to be an enhancement
    I guess if you don't view Agendus as enhancing (overall), then . . . to each his own. Half the planet is screaming "Agendus is huge, bloated and tries to do too much," while some are offended because their special little feature request isn't implemented in the next release . . . sheesh!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  3. bbaratz's Avatar
    Posts
    55 Posts
    Global Posts
    57 Global Posts
    #23  
    Wellsjs,
    My point is before you start enhancing a product, at a minimum your product has to be as good as the product you are enhancing. Before going off into enhancing trips etc, get the basics right especially for having version 11.1. It is incredible that version 11.1 still is not up to the minimum of the built in. This is not asking for some extra special thing, I am asking for the bear minimum which is do what the built in tasks can do. This should have been accomplished long before version 11.1.
  4.    #24  
    bbaratz

    I do not argue on your complaint as you may have apoint. But the strength of the way your writing is way out of proportion! The biggest proof to that is the poll above and the users comments above!
    It seems many people are thrilled with this software, and therefore it is absolute false to say that the software is pointless and the builtin is better!?! This issue may be so important to you that it isnt worth it for you to use the program, but many other features agendus has makes it an excelent software for many satisfied users out there! Because it dosnt work for you dosnt mean its not better then the builtin.
    I think you should reconsider something before you say it and not overdue things just to get your point out. Say it how it is, not how your frustration makes you feel". Your not just thinking these devious comments, your writing it for many readers out there.
    (PS:Just in case you forgot, think before you talk)
  5. #25  
    Quote Originally Posted by abesuperior View Post
    I thank everyone for your comments.

    I downloaded both trials on my treo 700p, and I am having a tough time deciding between the 2. I like agendus because I think its appointments are better and more costomisable. Also as wellsjs mentioned I think its contacts-tasks and appointments are better intergrated. I like that its together as oppose to keysuite when I click on an appointment in keytoday mode it jumps to the calendar (and I cant get back to keytoday by backing up???). And when I click on an appointment of in a (key)contacts "view activities" it jumps to the keydates - and I cant back up to that contact rather go back into keycontacts and search for the contact again??? I also like it better because it uses the palms existing cont. and other...etc.

    My problem is as follows: Agendus works much slower on my phone and even tends to make my treo freeze. I sometimes search under a contact and the appointment I made for that contact doesnt show up. While Keysuite works exceptionaly quick on my treo! Its like as if its a palm software that came with my phone, and everything works as its supposed to.

    If anyone has anything to say about these issues I mentioned I would love to hear it.

    Thanks Again, oh and by the way Agendus is winning the vote!
    Ok let me be clear on something - I am an Iambic Forums Team Member just like Wellsjs - however I have used nearly every PIM replacement out there including KeySuite, Beyond Contacts, Dateman, DB6 and of course Agendus.

    To address your speed issue - speed can be increased by several things within Agendus - archiving records most importantly completed tasks. You didn't specify how slow but be advised that since Agendus uses the native databases by encoding the notes with "tags" and KeySuite uses separate databases - KS will be quicker as a result but you lose valuable space because of the dedicated databases. Also - Agendus will be slower if you are running both programs at the same time - which will cause other issues because of the dedicated conduits with KeySuite so data will not be update in Agendus that might be edited in KS.

    Some of the most powerful features and why I continue to use Agendus that KS doesn't have:

    Contact History -
    Trips -
    Task with Matrix and hiearchy available formats
    Weather
    Contact location Lookup via multiple web based programs most recently Google.

    You also asked about ACT - Which I have also used although it was over 3 years ago. I think you are wise to look at the two programs that you are reviewing. ACT on the laptop is a powerful program but I did not find it's Palm counterpart to be enough relative to either KS or Agendus.

    In the end - it's what you prefer that matters. And one more thing - I don't believe that KS has a user forum (could be wrong) that is nearly as active as the Iambic forum where tips and complaints are normally displayed and dealt with.

    It's not perfect but I can tell you that one reason I stay with Iambic is because they had one of the first user forums out there and it's generally responsive relative to many other program out there.

    And one more thing - when a program uses the native databases as Agendus it will be a bit more twitchy when a new device is released because of changes to the OS. Agendus was updated to accomodate the 680 within 2 weeks of the release of that device.

    KS by using it's own databases will be less twitchy when a new device comes out but then if there is an issue with a specific device - they typically take longer to fix so if you like to upgrade devices more than once a year - this is something to consider as well.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  6. #26  
    Nice of you to drop in "Moose!"
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  7.    #27  
    thanks, your comments are helping me make a decision. Im not fully decided yet but im leaning towards Agendus. One more question I plan to also use agendus fot the palm z22, would it work well on it?
  8. #28  
    Should work fine since the Z22 sports OS Garnet 5.4, it is up-to-date enough to handle Agendus 11.x. I would only buy Agendus Standard since you have no Wi-Fi . . . no use for the Over-The-Air (OTA) added functionality of Agendus Pro.

    The problems we're starting to run into with coding for Palm's NVFS memory management system is that it's getting very difficult to keep all the features working properly on older devices . . . < 5.0 vintage. People with pre-5.0 Palms and Sonys should not go beyond v9.07 of Agendus. Of course you can't buy v9.07 today, but if you buy the current version and contact tech support, we can "dumb you down" to 9.07 and get you an activation code for it.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  9. #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    Should work fine since the Z22 sports OS Garnet 5.4, it is up-to-date enough to handle Agendus 11.x. I would only buy Agendus Standard since you have no Wi-Fi . . . no use for the Over-The-Air (OTA) added functionality of Agendus Pro.

    The problems we're starting to run into with coding for Palm's NVFS memory management system is that it's getting very difficult to keep all the features working properly on older devices . . . < 5.0 vintage. People with pre-5.0 Palms and Sonys should not go beyond v9.07 of Agendus. Of course you can't buy v9.07 today, but if you buy the current version and contact tech support, we can "dumb you down" to 9.07 and get you an activation code for it.
    Well said John!
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  10. #30  
    I think that your choice really boils down to how you use your Treo. Is it an adjunct to your desktop or is it the primary organizer for your life. I'm in sales and on the road about 50% of the time. When I'm in the office I use my laptop and Outlook for all of my business needs, tracking orders, prospecting, calendaring, managing contacts, etc. The Treo while useful is really not made for that type of use. When I'm on the road I need a system that mirrors what's on my desktop and doesn't need 10 minutes to boot to look up a phone number, reply to emails, etc; the Treo works perfectly in that application. Key Suite was my choice because it provided me a working copy of my Outlook client that I could access in seconds. So my advice is if you live out of your palm then Agendus is very, very good. If you live out of Outlook and want to carry it around the KeySuite is the right choice.
    Palm I >Palm IIIi>Palm 505> Zire 71>PEG37>T|X>TREO 700P That's a lot of palming!!
  11. #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    Should work fine since the Z22 sports OS Garnet 5.4, it is up-to-date enough to handle Agendus 11.x. I would only buy Agendus Standard since you have no Wi-Fi . . . no use for the Over-The-Air (OTA) added functionality of Agendus Pro.
    WellsJS:
    I think he wants to load Agendus on two devices. (Not sure if he plans to use the same or different hotsync names.) Will Iambic assign him a different Device ID on each device? (If so, he will definitely need two licenses.) In that case one can be Agendus Pro or Agendus Premier, right?
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  12. #32  
    Quote Originally Posted by maninrochester View Post
    I think that your choice really boils down to how you use your Treo. Is it an adjunct to your desktop or is it the primary organizer for your life. I'm in sales and on the road about 50% of the time. When I'm in the office I use my laptop and Outlook for all of my business needs, tracking orders, prospecting, calendaring, managing contacts, etc. The Treo while useful is really not made for that type of use. When I'm on the road I need a system that mirrors what's on my desktop and doesn't need 10 minutes to boot to look up a phone number, reply to emails, etc; the Treo works perfectly in that application. Key Suite was my choice because it provided me a working copy of my Outlook client that I could access in seconds. So my advice is if you live out of your palm then Agendus is very, very good. If you live out of Outlook and want to carry it around the KeySuite is the right choice.
    Note that you can also use Agendus Desktop (which comes with two editions, one for Outlook, and the other for syncing with the Palm Desktop and Outlook express. The desktop is not expenive and you can add it later. Once you own one Iambic product, you;ll get some discounts on more products on the MyIambic page.

    WellsSJ: Can he order the software for the Z22 first, then upgrade to Agendus Pro and use a different Device ID on Pro while keeping the base product for the Z22? (I think he can get away with this, and also get a discount on Agendus Pro that way.)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  13. #33  
    iambic permits up to three device IDs to be registered on a single license (pretty generous)!

    New device ID link:

    http://www.iambic.com/support/newdevice.asp

    abesuperior should buy Agendus Standard for the Z22. If he upgrades his device to a smartphone or wi-fi device down the road, the upgrade from Standard to Professional or Premier is discounted. Your "my iambic" account page continues to track and provide activation codes for the "lower version," which you can always download from the "obsolete" link at the bottom of the page.

    The flexibility is all in favor of the customer!

    BTW, I haven't run across any Palm software developer where you can generate your own activation codes instantly for new devices like iambic provides.
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  14.    #34  
    Actually Bob hit right on target. I want to install it on a treo 700p which I already own, and on a palm z22 which Im purchasing for other usage. Is that a problem? WellsJS are you saying that since I can get 3 device IDs, I can purchase one Agendus and have it working on both devices at the same time? If yes I can buy the standard, put it on the z22, upgrade to premier and install it on my treo. Will it continue to work on my both?

    PS: I do need 2 hotsync names, actually Im probally going to sync them with 2 different computers.
  15. #35  
    Quote Originally Posted by abesuperior View Post
    Actually Bob hit right on target. I want to install it on a treo 700p which I already own, and on a palm z22 which Im purchasing for other usage. Is that a problem? WellsJS are you saying that since I can get 3 device IDs, I can purchase one Agendus and have it working on both devices at the same time? If yes I can buy the standard, put it on the z22, upgrade to premier and install it on my treo. Will it continue to work on my both?

    PS: I do need 2 hotsync names, actually Im probally going to sync them with 2 different computers.
    Agendus does not use the hot sync name at all for it's registration. It uses a unique device ID that you obtain by installing it then going to the "about" menu. You then register that device ID at the Iambic web site using the link provided by Wellsjs - and you can then input each device's registration code based upon the device id.

    You are allowed three device id's (registrations) per liscense as John noted.

    So you can buy the Standard for the Z22 and enter it's liscense and then install it on the 700 and obtain a liscense for it. If you want to upgrade - you can then do so and the upgrade liscense would in theory work on both devices.

    You do not want to use the same Hot Sync user name on both devices - this has nothing to do with Agendus - it's an incompatibilty with the Palm OS to have two devices with the same user name on one PC.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
  16. #36  
    Ditto - what Moose said!
    Lord, who will we go to? You have the words of eternal life. Jn 6:68 <><
    PDA "trail" > Sharp Wizard OZ-750 > Palm M100 > Visor Deluxe > Visor Prism > Sony T665C > Sony NX80V > Sony TH55(2) > Palm Treo 700p
  17. #37  
    I guess it wouldn't be appropriate for me to express an opinion here, huh?

    I will, however say this. We are always looking for better ways to be more compatible Outlook, since it's by far the most widely used desktop PIM for pda users. This is even more true in business environments. With that said, know that you can expect to see improvements in this area as we research & find ways to better accommodate Outlook users, but at the same time be able to still cater to those who will continue to synchronize with Palm Desktop.
    -Michael
    iambic, Inc.
    www.iambic.com
  18. #38  
    Quote Originally Posted by wellsjs View Post
    iambic permits up to three device IDs to be registered on a single license (pretty generous)! ...
    I hadn't realized this. Yes, I agree this is generous! Another reason (for prosoective customers) to consider Agendus,

    (A hope I'm not sounding like a walking commercial. Agendus is a little slow at times, but the functionality, as well as the "MyIambic" page are things that I really like.)

    -- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  19. #39  
    Quote Originally Posted by mcapehart View Post
    I guess it wouldn't be appropriate for me to express an opinion here, huh? ...
    By all means! We like opiions here at T|C. Everyone has one. I'd nice to hear opinions from people who know something about what they're talking about (like you)!
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
  20. #40  
    I find it interesting when comparisons are made between 2 products and the focus is on certain features that are not critical and may rarely be used. If you are going to compare 2 products, make a list of the key actions you want to take when you use the software and then rate them

    So, in my case, I used Agendus when I had a POS, and now wait for their WM version. I was very happy with the product.

    So, I mainly used it for Calendar and Contacts. I dont need hundreds of icons available for an appointment or task. For contacts, I need to be able to find them quickly, to easily be able to select an action (email, call, SMS), integration with the phone (when an existing contact calls whose number is not in the system, to intelligently add them to the existing contact)

    I now have a 750v. I initially tried several 3rd party PIMs. I eventually got rid of them all and use the built in-one. Its not great but its simple and will hold me till iambic releases their WM version. So, to summarize, dont fret about features as much as how does it match how you work and what you want to do.
    PDA Lineage: Sharp Wizard, PalmVx, Tungsten, Treo 650, Treo 750v
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions