1.    #1  
    I have never had a problem like this: the phone seems fine in all respects but, quite suddenly, tonight, if I use the usb cable the phone goes into an endless reset/loop cycle. If I disconnect the usb cable from the PC, it is fine. If I connect it or disconnect it from the treo, no problem. But if I connect it to the PC, it reset/loops. It seems to have something to do with the charging function, but I can't figure out exactly what. 377 tells me it reset while running "Applications" I don't know what "Applications" is. This has nothing to do with actually hotsyncing--I can't even get that far with the usb cable, because it resets instantly when I plug it into the PC, and I can hotsync find with the bluetooth. Any help?
    Applications means your palm launcher. It seems like you have a possible defective USB cable or your USB has some really bad connections. Does your USB port work with other USB devices without a problem?

Can you try to get another cable and test that with your Treo?

Can you also list the software on your Treo? Do you use any other Palm software installed on your PC that uses the USB to work with your Treo? Examples of these are PDANet, USBModem, etc.

You could also have a bad USB port, although that seems unusual if your USB port works with other devices. If you have more than one USB port, you can try the other USB port but the only problem is that you may need to do some reinstalling. I don't know why but I did run into this situation where I tried to connect my Treo into another USB port. It ended up not being recognized as the same Treo. Wierd, but you may have better experience than I do.
  3.    #3  
    I have tried 3 different cables and it is fairly consistent. Fairly is a bad word. AS far as as I can tell it is 100% of the time and it just started last night. Until then I had three or so weeks of problem free hotsyncing and charging via all the various methods. I also have three USB ports on this laptop and it happens on all three ports, I think. I just used all three ports to use an external HD and it worked on all three fine. I do have PDANet installed, oh, and card reader. I haven't tried to use PDANet but I did try to use card reader just a few days ago unsuccessfully. I'll pull those two off and see if there is a change.

On the other hand I've had those apps on the phone since I got it with no problem, and it's reset many times in this whole process, including a few hard resets. However, I think but am not sure that the problem happens after I backup with backupman, maybe not if I just backup from the PC. Not sure of that, will have to check.
    Last edited by mdavis; 01/08/2007 at 07:11 AM.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I had this exact thing happen. It was after I installed an older version of Card Export II I had been using on my Tungsten C just fine. Treo sure didn't like it, and the usb reset/loop cycle started. As you said, without the usb, everything was fine, but as soon as I plugged in the usb it started. I did a hard reset and re-synched to get things back in order. I got the updated version of Card Export II and it works flawlessly. I think there other kinds of resets that may not be as severe as the hard reset I did. Hope that helps.
  5.    #5  
    Well, I got rid of the applications and still no luck. It still loops when I give it USB power. The problem seems to be elsewhere.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Even after a hard reset??? Wow! Guess it's time to return it.
  7.    #7  
    No, not after a hard reset, but after removing those two apps, hard resetting, and then restoring everything else with backupman. I solved the problem syncing to the desktop, and then restoring from the desktop. That worked.IF I restored from backupman, the problem returned.Obviously there was something in there being restored that didn't show up in those or any other apps, but it was causing theproblem. Now I backed up to backupman again and it restores cleanly. Don't ask why. I do have a problem getting backupman to reliably backup on schedule, though, something that never happened with the 650. It is a bit difficult getting used to a new phone, but things are getting better...and my battery life is not too much worse than my 650 was...only about 10% worse, it seems.
    I too had this problem and thought the cable might be at fault, fortunately it did the same thing with my 650 cable so I discounted the idea.

If I remember, it was fixed by uninstalling the old CardExportII and installing the latest version 2.25

Hope you get it solved, I think it's definately due to third party software, probably stuff you moved over from an old Treo650 ?

Oops, didn't see your reply. Are you restoring the 'Saved Preferences' file when you use BackupMan ?
  9.    #9  
    When I use backupman to restore, I just hit restore. I don't think there is a choice about what I restore. The only way I can eliminate a file from restore is if I choose the restore individual files, and check them all off except for whatever I want to eliminate. What's the deal with saved preferences?
    Mine would stick into an infinite reboot cycle after hotsyncing as well. I couldn't figure out how to remove the culprit from a hotsync, but I had Java, GoogleMaps, and directory assistant installed. It hotsynced fine once with a Palm rep on the phone, then it would go into that cycle after a hard boot/sync.
    mine too went through a reset loop removed card export problem solved installed new card export it only froze my phone big surprise I have 185 apps and the only two giving me any trouble are from softick uh audio gateway and card export is anyone home at softick hello
    Softicks app has to make a major change in the USB presentation of the device to Windows. I am not surprised it could be the source of issues on a Treo. pdaNet seems to do a better job of their USB code - they make the Treo appear to be a USB modem to Windows. USB 'shapeshifting' needs to be done with care.
    Quote Originally Posted by mdavis View Post
    I have never had a problem like this: the phone seems fine in all respects but, quite suddenly, tonight, if I use the usb cable the phone goes into an endless reset/loop cycle. If I disconnect the usb cable from the PC, it is fine. If I connect it or disconnect it from the treo, no problem. But if I connect it to the PC, it reset/loops. It seems to have something to do with the charging function, but I can't figure out exactly what. 377 tells me it reset while running "Applications" I don't know what "Applications" is. This has nothing to do with actually hotsyncing--I can't even get that far with the usb cable, because it resets instantly when I plug it into the PC, and I can hotsync find with the bluetooth. Any help?

I bought a Treo650 with this problem. Nothing was wrong with the phone, but there were no connections setup. Go to the Prefs and connection and add a cable connection. Then go to hotsynch and set that connection as the connection.
  14.    #14  
    I solved it by hotsyncing to the pc and NOT restoring via backupman--but I have the feeling you are right. I m ight have had something set in the pc which set up for cable, and maybe something in backupman that was saying bluetooth. But for those who suffer from this, I think the key besides setting up cable, is once you have it set up for cable, go to "Edit" and set those connections more specifically for the cable.