1.    #1  
    Hey there everyone.. I've been looking at these forums for about 6mths.. i used them for advice on purchasing my very first PDA/Phone (a Treo 650) and am VERY happy with my purchase (thank you everyone who had positive and negative things to say about this handset, you helped my choice become a little easier!)

I've bought some 3rd party software (mRing and Butler - both are very good, esp the mRing which stops any SMS alerts during nighttime and waking up my wife who used to want to smash the phone!).. And i'm starting to look at other things to use my phone for.

I bought another SD card (my first one got toasted my a card reader at work) and the capacity now is a fairly hefty 2Gb..

Which brings me to my question, i own a LOT of DVDs and i'm looking at trying to compress said DVDs into a file type i can play back on my phone..

I've tried some programs (from download.com) and found they only compress into AVI's or MPEG4's and neither of them are able to be played back with the software that is built into the Treo650..

Soooooooooo, can anyone either suggest a good compression/conversion program to squish DVD's into a fairly small file size (i'm averaging about 180mb and under at the moment although i can't play them!), OR if someone could suggest a program i can install onto my Treo650 to play the files i have converted already...

I'd prefer a better compression software program, but i'm happy with the second option if the first one just isn't viable..

Paying for the program isn't a problem, although being able to download the program from the net is a huge bonus as i live in Sydney, Australia and wouldn't be able to walk into an overseas shop :P

Any constructive help is greatly welcomed...
    Global Posts
    591 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by glennwoodward View Post

Soooooooooo, can anyone either suggest a good compression/conversion program to squish DVD's into a fairly small file size (i'm averaging about 180mb and under at the moment although i can't play them!), OR if someone could suggest a program i can install onto my Treo650 to play the files i have converted already...

I'd prefer a better compression software program, but i'm happy with the second option if the first one just isn't viable..
    Any constructive help is greatly welcomed...
    Your second requirement, a player, is really easy --- TCPMP its free, fantastic, works from the card, and comes with a very wide range of codecs, including those for AVIs and MPEG4. Its dowloadable lots of places including here.

There are dozens of compression programs that will do a good job. Magic DVD Ripper is very versatile and quick; Kinoma producer is one of the few that does batch conversions (great for TV series); FairUse Wizard is free. All the programs that aim for iPod compression also do a fairly good job for the 650 (they compress to 320x240). I compress to around 300mb for a 1.5hr movie, and am happy to typically compromise more on sound bitrate than video size, if I get the choice, since I'm not an audiophile.

It's a great experience watching movies on the 650 - you will enjoy
    geoff

Treo 650 1.20 LAP.
    Another vote for TCPMP, and if you are getting a 180Mb file then that's about as good as it gets.
    TCPMP is even better when you add the hard-to-find AVC codec. It does a better job than the standard ffmpeg codec with H.264 video.
    Check out VEMODE and Super for compression. They're both free and work great.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
    http://vemode.corecodec.org
    Quote Originally Posted by peterlemonjello View Post
    Check out VEMODE and Super for compression. They're both free and work great.

http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html
    http://vemode.corecodec.org
    Agreed! I use Super to compress my videos and movies.... I've also used it to compress sound from concert DVDs into mp3 files! I play my movies and vids on TCPMP (free version)

..Handspring...\..........Palm.........\.........Palm........\.........Palm......\.....Motorola.....
    .VisorDeluxe.../............Vx.........../........M-100......./......Treo650.../.......Droid........
    FairUse is an easy-to-use compressor.