1.    #1  
    I'm new to Treo 680, having suffered a year with 650.

1. camera much much better quality (if still not great). And VIDEO!!

2. feels lighter. feels smaller (though it's really not). buttons feel better. screen dial pad MUCH easier to use (my fingers were too large for the 650).

3. software "feels" more robust. No more hard resets/reboots.

4. Data Viz Documents to Go is surprisingly agile even with large word docs and spreadsheets. I could have loaded it on my 650, but I like it for free installed on my 680!

5. Lots of petty aggravations have been ironed out. Hard to list, just tiny stuff

6. NO battery complaints. People just aren't doing their homework. Do this:

a. condition battery: run all the way down, then charge all the way up

b. turn off beam, turn off bluetooth (unless/until you need them)

c. a biggie: turn off automatic date/time (Go to Prefs, Go to Date and Time, set "Automatically set" to “Nothing”). That's what runs down this phone's power when not in use.

d. turn down screen brightness as far as you can (low-middle's fine for me)

e. Set "Dim backlight after" to 30 seconds

f. Set "Auto-off after" to 15 seconds

g. This didn't apply for me, but someone suggested elsewhere: Turn “Select Network” to MANUAL instead of Automatic (go to Phone > Options > Select Network and click on your carrier)
    Last edited by Chowhound; 01/07/2007 at 02:47 PM. Reason: added one!
    Global Posts
    384 Global Posts
    If you had read any one of the many threads on battery life here, you'd realize that we've all tried all of your suggestions and more. So it might not be a good idea to accuse people of not doing their homework.
    mrjoec
    www.joecieplinski.com
  3.    #3  
    It's a new enough model that there are not multiple generations of hardware or firmware. So we're all using pretty much the same thing here. And my 680 is only marginally thirstier than my 650.

A few people may have malfunctioning units, but from what I've seen here and on other forums, people are NOT doing their homework. Posters seem unaware of the basic solutions, and I see very few people repeating the date/time suggestion, which is key (but easily findable if you, again, do your homework).

If you've got a bad Treo, sorry dude. Hope you get it fixed up.
    You do not know anything about the real problem. I read this forum, the 1src forum, the mytreo forum, the nexave forum, and almost every treo user complains about the battery life. So if you are one of onethousand users who does not have any problems congratulations. But you are not representative and the big amount of users has done their homework.
    A few people may have malfunctioning units,
    A few. LOL.
    I did my homework, regardless I still bought a 680, I am NOT having a problem after trimming the battery (which I suspected already was the issue at hand) and NOT using Camera (which is a real problem as far as I can see)

PS you forgot about BrightHand
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    The camera is completely useless anyway, so I won't have any problems with my 680 if it's that. Unfortunately, it's unlikely to be it.

I love arrogant newbs.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    The camera is completely useless anyway, so I won't have any problems with my 680 if it's that. Unfortunately, it's unlikely to be it.

I love arrogant newbs.
    Ditto because they will learn the hard way
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
    c. a biggie: turn off automatic date/time (Go to Prefs, Go to Date and Time, set "Automatically set" to “Nothing”). That's what runs down this phone's power when not in use.
    False.

Do you just make this stuff up and assume you know what you're talking about? I sure hope you don't design bridges or planes or something for a living.
    Chowhound posts:
    A few people may have malfunctioning units, but from what I've seen here and on other forums, people are NOT doing their homework.
    Umm, how about people that have had problems with several malfunctioning units?

I know I am NOT the only one that has had to return more than one device!

I guarantee you if I hadn't had such success with a previous Palm device (T3) and hadn't read information on several different forums and if I could have figured out a way to divest myself of Cingular's horrid Contract I would have long ago gone back to just a phone and seperate PDA!

Funny thing is though I, like many others who purchase things, do tend to put a little faith in supposedly reputable companies when exchanging money for their goods.

Besides, I'd already paid over 400 bucks for this device - well actually the original monies were paid out for a Treo 650 and it only took SEVEN different device exchanges ( four 650s and three 680s) to locate a functioning one. Well, one that at least functions to the point that I can use it but it is NOT functioning anywhere CLOSE to waht the mfr claims!

Palm's website makes claims of how the treo is a better device and does such and such and its battery gives such and such performance.

Nokia did too. I NEVER - NOT ONCE - EVER had to jump through the hoops to get the Nokia batteries and phones to work as advertised! All I had to do was to be certain the phone didn't get exposed to harsh environments - like the dashboard of a closed vehicle - or the deep freezer I use to work in.

Often I would get well beyond the expected performance of the phone' s battery because I don't have the phone surgically implanted within my ear!

MY 400 dollars was NOT misrepresented - it was NOT counterfeit, nor printed with disappearing ink, the Mfr's rep didn't have to do tricks or sing or whistle or take it to a special bank for redemption. They were rewarded immediately for their sale! Why should I have to do such things in order to obtain just the basics of what the device is supposed to do?

Yeah, I bet I could get 50 mpg from my truck too if I shut it off and coasted down every hill, or coasted into every intersection, or never put a payload in it, or always drove with a tailwind - but I'd at least like to get what the mfr claims. And COnsidering that I do tend to drive a bit faster than the speed limit, and am daily driving with a very heavy payload - I do get at least the minimum mpg the mfr claims!

So far with this device I am not even getting the bare bones minimum performance!

I really resent it when people immediately come along and spew out statements - like "they haven't done their homework"! Beleive me, I have studied L-o-N-G and hard on these devices! I get the feeling that many of us on these forums have done more field testing and product testing than Palm's quality control dept ever THUGHT about doing!

I suppose you are of the mind that a lightbulb which never gets turned on in the attic and finally after fifty years turns on and still functions is an exceptionally well performing light bulb?

Chowhound, you ought to make certain that what you can bite off, you can not just chew, but you can also swallow!

Give me a break! ,,,, do my homework! Geesh ! )&*^*)&@^(*JU&^@ frackin, fizzn' young pups!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    82 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
    I'm new to Treo 680, having suffered a year with 650.

1. camera much much better quality (if still not great). And VIDEO!!

2. feels lighter. feels smaller (though it's really not). buttons feel better. screen dial pad MUCH easier to use (my fingers were too large for the 650).

3. software "feels" more robust. No more hard resets/reboots.

4. Data Viz Documents to Go is surprisingly agile even with large word docs and spreadsheets. I could have loaded it on my 650, but I like it for free installed on my 680!

5. Lots of petty aggravations have been ironed out. Hard to list, just tiny stuff

6. NO battery complaints. People just aren't doing their homework. Do this:

a. condition battery: run all the way down, then charge all the way up

b. turn off beam, turn off bluetooth (unless/until you need them)

d. turn down screen brightness as far as you can (low-middle's fine for me)

e. Set "Dim backlight after" to 30 seconds

f. Set "Auto-off after" to 15 seconds

g. This didn't apply for me, but someone suggested elsewhere: Turn “Select Network” to MANUAL instead of Automatic (go to Phone > Options > Select Network and click on your carrier)
    You forgot:
    h. Turn off Phone

i. Remove Battery

j. Put phone in drawer

k. Think about getting a different smartphone...

11.    #11  
    Note to those who did do their homework, were aware of all the items I listed, and whose battery performance has not been satisfactory: I wasn't talking to you.
    i think palm just acknowledged the battery problem with a fix coming soon, but can't remember where i read it
    Quote Originally Posted by tj8212 View Post
    i think palm just acknowledged the battery problem with a fix coming soon, but can't remember where i read it
    I would be VERY interested to know where you saw this to see what they have to say. Can you pls try to find it back ?
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
    This is not 'official' enough to me
    Happy Datebk6.1 user