1.    #1  
    Hi,

I'm running into troubles with my Treo 270 in Germany in the T-Mobile network.

The unit disconnects (red blinking LED) and says "Kein Dienst" (no service), there are no bars shown and the GPRS triangle is gone.
    Even worse, if somebody tries to call me he gets a "the number is not listed" automatic text.

If I turn the phone off and on again the unit works normally anything from 30 minutes to hours(!!!).

I had the sim card door in suspicion, but I have replaced the case now (my wife and I had 3 Treos, 2 with dead electronics now :-)) and it's happening even when the Treo is lying silently on the table.

"get yourself a 680, you cheapskate" is not working, because I'm not allowed to use a camera phone at work, even not with disabled or destroyed camera. :-(

I assume that T-Mobile Germany has changed their software in the bases which confuses both the Treo and T-Mobiles System, anyone with a GSM background can may be point something out concerning the "number not listed"-phaenomenon.

All I need is a hint from a developer to point me to some functions that would allow to detect the network state, say check every 5 seconds, and toggle the phone if not connected any more.

Please, please, help me!

Thanks in advance
    Umbi
    Do you have any other phone (other than a Treo) that uses T-Mobile?
    Do they work?
    Does your SIM work on those phones?
    Did you add any software or firmware lately?
    Is it possible you have SIM that went bad and need replacement?
    Did T-Mobile on your country changed their network?
    If they did, the basic GPRS should still work. Did you try calling them for support?
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    Do you have any other phone (other than a Treo) that uses T-Mobile?
    Do they work?
    Yes.

Does your SIM work on those phones?
    Yes.

Did you add any software or firmware lately?
    No.

Is it possible you have SIM that went bad and need replacement?
    Don't think so, it works in my wifes Nokia.

Did T-Mobile on your country changed their network?
    If they did, the basic GPRS should still work. Did you try calling them for support?
    That's my guess as well. Since Jan 2004 GPRS is not working anymore with Treo 270 and T-Mobile Germany when they enrolled their UMTS-Software-Update for their bases.
    But it's easier to get a monkey type a book than getting a competent answer from those guys, even worse when your SIM-card is from a reseller.

I was pointed to Treo Helper and it seems to help me so far (24 h of testing is not much)

Regards
    Umbi
    Quote Originally Posted by umberto View Post
    But it's easier to get a monkey type a book than getting a competent answer from those guys, even worse when your SIM-card is from a reseller.

I was pointed to Treo Helper and it seems to help me so far (24 h of testing is not much)

Regards
    Umbi
    Sorry to hear your experience.

This makes me wonder, if and when the US T-Mo updates to UMTS (TMo is slow to implement changes here), we could run potentially into the same problem for the Treo 180/270 here. I do use them occasionally when I go to areas where no cameras are allowed.

Keep us updated on the TreoHelper solution. Goodluck.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ronbo2000 View Post
    we could run potentially into the same problem for the Treo 180/270 here. I do use them occasionally when I go to areas where no cameras are allowed.
    I hope for you guys over there that they will use a different software.

270 and GPRS works with the other providers here.

Keep us updated on the TreoHelper solution. Goodluck.
    Two days, still working. But my GPRS triangle is gone...ok, no hassle for me :-/

I come to think that just the installation of TreoHelper got my machine back to life again, because I heard only once the characteristic phone off/phone on sound and that was in an elevator where there was definitely no network available.

So your guess with "software related" may be closer than I first thought. But it's almost impossible to work that out...

Regards
    Umbi