1.    #1  
    I bought a 11dB External Magnet Antenna for the Palm TREO 650 and after I connected it to my phone there was no signal improvement. In fact I still received a "No Service" message occasionally with it attached. Any ideas on why there is no improvement? Thanks for any help in advance.

JP
    did you verify no signal improvement based on service bars displayed, sound quality, or gauging RSSI levels?
    Either you are in an area where there is no signal to start with, or the antenna may just be defective.
    Is the antenna attached to the back of the phone? I hope it's not one of those "inductive" things that go over the antenna or such..
    There is an article in NYT today on external antennas

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/01/te...ref=technology
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    Is the antenna attached to the back of the phone? I hope it's not one of those "inductive" things that go over the antenna or such..
    God, I hope not too lol. He mentioned '11db', 'external', 'magnet', and 'connected'. My guess is it's a legit (tho possibly broken) amplified antenna. But if it's one of those strips, sorry to say, that's the worst $2.99 you've ever spent!

Quote Originally Posted by aprasad View Post
    There is an article in NYT today on external antennas

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/03/01/te...ref=technology
    Wow! Great article! Reading that would make me feel guilty if I was using a repeater/amplifier and hurting others' reception, glad my antenna project is 'locally friendly'. I wish the article mentioned that the antenna stickers are completely bogus though. Those things really just need to disappear already. Major papers like the NYT reporting they're useless would certainly help
    Quote Originally Posted by jdeity View Post
    God, I hope not too lol. He mentioned '11db', 'external', 'magnet', and 'connected'. My guess is it's a legit (tho possibly broken) amplified antenna. But if it's one of those strips, sorry to say, that's the worst $2.99 you've ever spent!
    Didn't really mean one of those things, but rather the external Cellular antennas that have some sort of patch antenna that goes near the cellphone, or on a window. Maybe they don't make them anymore, but they were supposed to be some sort of "passive repeater" or such. Works okay in some situations (heard of folks getting wifi over a tall hill with something like this) but not in a normal environment.
    One thing to remember about antennas: they only amplify an existing signal. What does that mean practically? Well, in terms of receiving (from the cell tower) if the signal is a) degraded or b) extremely weak or c) non-existent no antenna will help. Think of an antenna like a megaphone. If you are 100 feet away from someone, it will help you hear them. But if you are 100ft away and in a sound proof room, it won't do a darn thing.
    A passive repeater is a passive repeater--not an antenna. There's a big difference and a whole set of reasons why they often just don't work.

Did you buy an 11db gain antenna, and does IT work when you use it without the passive repeater?