Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Hi Everyone,
    I'm a 1 day old Treo 680 user. Finally got it yesterday with much anticipation. I was previously using a the B/W Handspring visor as a pda. The screen could not detect my stylus anymore so I'm decided that its a great excuse to get the TREO 680.

One thing I love about the Handspring is its find function. For example, if i were to search for all occurance for the word 'ford' it would bring up every occurance or record with contains 'ford' ie. contacts in the ford company, my mechanic who repaired my ford car, etc.

I can't seem to get that kind of consistency in the TREO 680's Find function & the phone quick find function. it would be able to find records if the sirnames and firstnames are given, other times it wouldn't be able to report the search results as well as my handspring visor.

Am i missing out on something here?

Any improvements to the contact application to enable a more complete 'find' function?

Thanks.

Adambike
    Try the option button (lower left, the grey one) followed by the shift button (lower left, with the up-arrow)
    This is a little known tip as far as I can tell. It works great on all versions of the Treo I think. I use it all the time on my T650.
    But there is the search symbol on the shift button. Why is it little known then?
    Made the comment because I've seen this question asked on so many forums in the past. Few people just simply do not notice the key symbol or never think to question its existence?
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Yes I have tried both search/find functions for records in contact:
    1) by keying in the letters and contact will retrieve the appropriate records
    or....
    2) using the universal 'find' function.

There were instances where i was not able to get a certain range of records and i had to use either methods. I think the 'find' function should bring up all occurances of the word in the treo- but it doesn't always.
    Maybe you'll like findhack
    do we know if Findhack works with the 680?

Otherwise, I've always used this in the past.
    Well try it out, you have a shareware period of 14 days...
    I just dowloaded and tried Findhack on my 680 and it works!! And man, is it easy to use, with tons more functionality than the standard Find application. Well worth the $14.95 IMHO!
    wow, thanks for the tip!
    i'm not in the look for shortcuts mode yet! sweet! thank you
    Here's an interesting little factoid...when I run Findhack from the native phone app (including the native contacts), it crashes my 680. However, when I run it from ANY other app, including anywhere in TAKEphONE, it works great! So I just make sure I'm not in the native phone app when I run it. Can anyone else replicate this?
    IntelliFind is also very a powerful search program.
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristieC View Post
    Here's an interesting little factoid...when I run Findhack from the native phone app (including the native contacts), it crashes my 680. However, when I run it from ANY other app, including anywhere in TAKEphONE, it works great! So I just make sure I'm not in the native phone app when I run it. Can anyone else replicate this?
    Yes, I get the same thing! A reset in the Phone app but no where else. Have you tried to contact the developer?

Bob
    Palm IIIc=>Sony Clie T665=>Palm T3=>Palm Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bobbd View Post
    Yes, I get the same thing! A reset in the Phone app but no where else. Have you tried to contact the developer?

Bob
    No, it really doesn't bother me enough to go to the trouble -- since I know how to keep it from crashing, and it's really easy, I just don't see it as a big deal.