1.    #1  
    My Treo 650 (Cingular) has developed the known issue where launching VersaMail causes the device to reset. I have installed FileZ (and another similar utility) and deleted the files as documented on the Palm site
    http://kb.palm.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/WEBC...m_External2001

I have also renamed the VersaMail folder on my PC and resynced which removes any corrupt db from the system.

Still no success. I really do not want to do a hard reset. May even buy another email app to avoid this (Agendus looking good). Is there a way to restore VersaMail from the original Palm install CD? Any other thoughts? Thanks! Help!
  2.    #2  
    MMIDCache7 is one of the files that is to be deleted to resolve the issue. I believe mine is corrupt, but it seems to cause problems with the file manager utilities and cannot be deleted!
    Do a warm reset (hold the Up cursor key on the 4-way while the reset is completed). That will start the Treo without loading/opening any files. That will let you delete the files mentioned in the KB article (using FileZ).
    --
    Aloke
    Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.17-CNG
    Firmware:01.51 Hardware:A
  4.    #4  
    The file still appears with non-ascii characters as the creator name, and when I launch FileZ I get an error message referring to this file. When I use FileZ to attempt to delete the file, the same error message appears. Still trying!

(Holding the up button got right around my Warden! )
    Can you change any of the file attributes using FileZ? If you can check Recyclable, save, then do a soft reset, that file should disappear.
    "Yeah, he can talk. It's gettin' him to shut up that's the trick!"
    -Shrek
  6.    #6  
    In FileZ for the offending file I clicked recyclable and then save and immediately the Treo began a reset.

When I open FileZ I get the following error message referencing the offending cell.

Error: dm: Cant Open in ItemFolder::readPalmCard()e(MMIDCache7)

BTW in FileZ the file appears twice - I believe this occured following my renaming of the VersaMail folder on my PC per the Palm instructions. One file looks fine, the other "offending" file has as creator 3 characters that look like a box, right arrow (>) and a capital A with an accent. The "normal" version has as creator asc4.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom LaPrise View Post
    Can you change any of the file attributes using FileZ? If you can check Recyclable, save, then do a soft reset, that file should disappear.