1.    #1  
    Has anyone tried using Graffiti Anywhere on the 680?
    Although there are aftermarket programs for stylus input, I thought Graffiti was a thing of the past. Personally, I'm glad to see it gone. It was always hit-or-miss with me and the qewrty keyboard makes me so much faster. The Treo 680 Compatibility List shows a new version of Graffiti Anywhere but no one has weighed in on how it works.
    Pdacrazy1,
    I did install graffitti anywhere, but had several crashes afterwards. So i tried Mobilewrite.

Graffitti anywhere installs the familiar cammand bar at the bottom of the screen - mobilewrite doesn't. But Mobile write has three different formats of input - graffit1 & 2 and word.

I liked the command bar, but now use mobile write to highlight text and the menu - key combo to copy and paste, etc.

If there is a program developed to allow the nav key to highlight text - I may do away with graffitti altogether.

However I still use my stylus and note pad for sketching ideas.
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    If there is a program developed to allow the nav key to highlight text - I may do away with graffitti altogether.
    I don't know whether it works with the 680, but ...

FieldPlus is a control panel plugin that adds the capability to select text using the Treo 600/650 navigation pad.
    Uses SHIFT + 5-way. It would be worth a try.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/fieldplus.shtml
    Graffity anywhere 1.5.8 works perfect with the Treo680. Reported crashes must have other reasosn than GA.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I previously had a Tungsten C and used Graffiti all the time. That was the hardest thing for me to adjust to going without on the 680. I installed and have been using Graffiti Anywhere and haven't had any problems using it, although I am finding myself using it less and less. It is a little different from the Graffiti I was used to using (few command stroke differences) but is working great.
    Graffiti Anywhere uses the version of graffiti that comes with the device. You can also use GA on the Tungsten and will have graffiti 1. On the Treo you have graffiti 2. So GA gives you graffiti 2 only. Thats the reason for the different strokes.
    Honestly, I could never get graffiti anywhere to work well in any palm or treo. I have finally found the perfect program though. It is called Mobilwrite
    http://www.inkmarksoftware.com/page2.html
    This program works so well that I am using it almost all of the time. The keyboard is way too small and I make too many mistakes. Mobilewrite allows me to use graffiti 1 exactly as I used to on the original Palm Pilot. It even has caps in the middle and numbers off to the right. I have been waiting for a graffiti-based palm/phone combination forever and I am now as happy as can be. The treo 680 and Mobilewrite are awesome together. I am not affiliated with the mobilwrite folks in any way but I am a very satisfied customer!
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbeanie View Post
    Honestly, I could never get graffiti anywhere to work well in any palm or treo. I have finally found the perfect program though. It is called Mobilwrite
    http://www.inkmarksoftware.com/page2.html
    This program works so well that I am using it almost all of the time. The keyboard is way too small and I make too many mistakes. Mobilewrite allows me to use graffiti 1 exactly as I used to on the original Palm Pilot. It even has caps in the middle and numbers off to the right. I have been waiting for a graffiti-based palm/phone combination forever and I am now as happy as can be. The treo 680 and Mobilewrite are awesome together. I am not affiliated with the mobilwrite folks in any way but I am a very satisfied customer!
    I just tried Mobilwrite on your recommendation and I love it!!! I'm still learning where & how to write the characters, but it's unbelievably easy and the tutorial and tips on the handheld after you install the application are great! SOOOOOOOOOOOOO much better than Graffiti Anywhere!! Thank you thank you thank you!!
    I just bought a Treo 680. It's my first smart-phone but I have been a longtime Palm addict (m100 > Handera 330 > T3 > E2). The 680 looks like a great device, but I was both surprised and disappointed to find there was no Graffiti whatsoever! I guess I wouldn't have been so disappointed if the switch over to the five-way controller had been fully completed, but as it stands you still need to get your stylus out to do certain things. And to my mind, if you have a stylus in hand then you may as well be using Graffiti.

Anyhow, to cut to the chase, I noticed that Graffiti was included in the Treo ROM and only the Prefs "Writing Anywhere" bit was missing. I took an educated guess and copied the following files over from my E2 using FileMan:

GoL CDExt (GAny)
    GoL CDLib (GAny)
    GoL CDPanel-GAny (GAny)
    GoL CDPanel-GAny-enUS (GAny)

And (a little to my surprise) Graffiti works just fine. Graffiti is a slightly different than what I'm used to from the T3 and E2 in that you need to write something after an el ("L") for the el to show up, which is quite annoying (especially if el is the last letter you are writing).

If anyone would like a fuller explanation of how to I got Graffiti working then let me know. If demand is sufficient high, I'll post something more detailed on my website.

Cheers
    Last edited by Mooey; 01/15/2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: Mistake in original post
    JohnCC posted:
    Uses SHIFT + 5-way. It would be worth a try.

http://www.freewarepalm.com/utilities/fieldplus.shtml
    I installed this and it works just grand! Thank you ever so much!

My Stylus may never come out of its slot! Well, except for game playing!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Quote Originally Posted by stringbeanie View Post
    Honestly, I could never get graffiti anywhere to work well in any palm or treo.
    Well I got it to work 100% on my Tungsten, my Treo 600 and my Treo650.

So, with respect, I think you must have been doing something wrong.

But I'm glad you have found a solution.
    Thought of the day :
    No sense being pessimistic, it probably wouldn't work anyway
    I installed the latest version of Graffiti Anywhere, and it works fine on my Treo 680, so I am one happy bunny now