1.    #1  
    Hello, everyone. I'm having some problems moving from my old Treo 650 to a new Treo 700p, on Sprint. Everything works fine Palm and phone-wise, even Bluetooth syncing with Missing Sync, but I can't make a Bluetooth DUN connection (something I was very much looking forward to).

I've followed the instructions provided by Palm, and haven't had much success. The Mac and phone clearly see each other - the Bluetooth icon changes over to the DUN icon and the Mac says "Connecting to PPP Server...", but it never actually does.

Here's a sample log:

Code:
    Fri Jan  5 16:39:37 2007 : setting the port speed to 230K
    Fri Jan  5 16:39:37 2007 : CCLWrite : ATZ\13
    Fri Jan  5 16:39:38 2007 : CCLMatched : OK\13\10
    Fri Jan  5 16:39:38 2007 : Dialing without tone
    Fri Jan  5 16:39:38 2007 : Dialing #777
    Fri Jan  5 16:39:38 2007 : CCLWrite : ATD#777\13
    Fri Jan  5 16:40:47 2007 : Hangup (SIGHUP)
    Fri Jan  5 16:40:47 2007 : Hanging up
    Fri Jan  5 16:40:48 2007 : Serial link disconnected.
    I've deleted the Bluetooth pairing and network settings, rebooted the Mac and reset the Treo; no change. Any ideas?
    Last edited by diamondsw; 01/06/2007 at 03:39 PM.
    Just buy USB modem at http://mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

RicardoG
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by RicardoG View Post
    Just buy USB modem at http://mobile-stream.com/usbmodem.html

RicardoG
    Um, no - I want wireless connectivity that doesn't require yet another cable/dongle/etc, and see no reason to spend money on something that should work just fine and better built-in.
  4.    #4  
    Is it possible that a situation like this could be caused by my Vision plan not being in place? I checked my account status, and it looks like when they re-upped me, they may have left off the Vision plan. Oddly enough, all other internet use works just fine.
    I believe it very well could be the Vision plan not being in place that is causing your troubles. Without Vision, your phone effectively has no data plan.

Good Luck
    "It is the soldier, not the reporter who has given us the freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us the freedom of speech. It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, who gives us the freedom to demonstrate. It is the soldier who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag, who allows the protester to burn the flag." -- Father Dennis Edward O'Brien, Sergeant, USMC
  6.    #6  
    Turns out that for a Treo 650, Sprint cannot distinguish Vision data (using the internet on your phone) from tethered data (phone as a modem for a laptop), so a simple Vision plan suffices.

For a Treo 700p (and presumably all EVDO devices), there is a flag inserted as to whether the data originates on the phone or on a tethered device. Now you have to shell out an additional $40 a month to use the phone as a modem.

Not pleased in the slightest.
    Quote Originally Posted by diamondsw View Post
    Um, no - I want wireless connectivity that doesn't require yet another cable/dongle/etc, and see no reason to spend money on something that should work just fine and better built-in.
    Actually, the name "USB Modem" belies its ability to also achieve Bluetooth DUN. I'm using it successfully on my MacBook Pro via Sprint Treo 700p. It's also nice to just invest the $25 upfront on the program and not pay the ongoing monthly data access (besides Vision).
    USB Modem works well, though not great, for me - no need to pay the $40 extra monthly, just $15 a month for unlimited data on the phone, plus unlimited data via USB or Bluetooth to my Mac PowerBook - well worth the USB Modem price.
    Global Posts
    56 Global Posts
    Mine was working fine up to a month ago. Now I can't get it to connect at all. I've swapped out the phone and had tech support go through everything. I even have the PAM plan too.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by acousticbiker View Post
    Actually, the name "USB Modem" belies its ability to also achieve Bluetooth DUN. I'm using it successfully on my MacBook Pro via Sprint Treo 700p. It's also nice to just invest the $25 upfront on the program and not pay the ongoing monthly data access (besides Vision).
    Ah, that wasn't clear. I'm definitely more interested. Does it require any sort of kernel extensions to run, or is it just another application?

Edit: Oh, I see - it works on the Palm OS side, and makes it show up as a generic USB or Bluetooth modem. Even more abstracted and nice!
    how does this software compare with PdaNet ??

Thanks.