Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 65
  1. #41  
    my pet peeve about the battery firmware is that when tit gets below a certain %age, the OS suddenly shifts to "disabled" mode.

    - you can't access SD card
    - you can't adjust the brightness level
    - "hacks" i installed (e.g. shortcut5) no longer work
  2. #42  
    So I finally called Palm after trying everything to get more than 7 hours use out of my treo 680 - So I am talking to customer service (insert country here) and I am told that the specs for the Treo 680 is 4 hours talk and 12 hours standby!!! OMG .. I look on the Palm website and it says up to 300 ... well I guess technically 12 is up to 300 but it is one heck of a long way off it! So I get escalated to a Tier 2 tech and he also tells me that the standby time for the Treo 680 is 12 hours and agrees with me that it is a little off the published 300.

    Has anyone else heard this new claim .. and if so how can Palm publish up to 300 hours?

    Who do I write to at Palm for either:
    a. misleading me in my purchase
    or
    b. Their Customer Service representatives misrepresenting the Brand and the phone

    Finally at the end of the call he admitted to me that there is a Battery issue but there is not enough stock to replace either my phone or send me a new battery and he suggested returning the phone!

    I am a long time Palm advocate but this is terrible customer service IMHO.
  3. mslade's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
       #43  
    Call them back and tell them it is 12.5 DAYS.

    Get them to tell you the conditions under which you can get the advertised 300 hours. Otherwise it is false advertising in any country.

    Even the worst case of standby loses only 35% in 12 hours.

    Make sure you have done the battery re-calibration.

    DON'T ACCEPT their statements! Get upper level tech!
  4. BowlerMan's Avatar
    Posts
    15 Posts
    Global Posts
    16 Global Posts
    #44  
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    Is it possible there is a difference between the Cingular version and the unlocked ones for the "camera-related" issues? I have an unlocked 680 and have used my camera off and on since I got the phone and have not noticed any significant changes to battery drain either way. Once my battery "broke in" it has been fairly steady in the amount of use each day.
    I have an unlocked 680 and my experience has been similar to Maris'
  5. #45  
    I also have an unlocked 680 (1.04ROW) and found the battery to drain A LOT faster after having used the camera.
    Digital since 1980, Handheld since 2001
    M105, TE, T3.5, Treo 680, Treo 500v
    Happy Datebk6.1 user
  6. #46  
    I see no difference when I use the camera or not. Using unlocked, FW MW01.50, SW TREO680-1.04-ROW
  7. #47  
    I have received my unlocked GSM 680 a week ago.

    And yes battery is APITA.


    I don't get one full day out of it, with 3-4 calls, chatter usage and btooth while driving.
    My 650 lastest 2 days no problem.

    The battery reset stuff didn't help a bit.
    And I hear this hissing when sounds are played and I think this might be the issue.
    --
    Manfred
  8. #48  
    Just got off the phone with Palm support. The tech I spoke with said they are aware of the battery problem and that it is a HARDWARE problem, so a firmware upgrade won't fix it. Then just as he put me on hold to check if a new batch was available that fixes the problem -- the call disconnected. Now I have to get to work, but I guess I'll try to call again today or tomorrow.

    On another subject, he said that the keyguard issue WAS a firmware problem, and that the advanced technical team was working on a software fix via a patch or something... So that too will be fixed eventually.
    Last edited by mhzimmer; 01/10/2007 at 12:03 PM. Reason: small change
  9. #49  
    Maybe someone can help me out...

    Got the 680 at 5:00 pm. played with it enough to drain battery to about 5%. Charged all night and woke up this morning to have a dead treo. Took battery out and put it into old 650 and saw that battery was a zero (0%) percent.
    Put battery back in, Treo started and then went to black screen. Did this several times...Finally got the sucker to start and after several texts, calls and quick synchs with Chatteremail...it is at 99%...said that at 9:30 and says the same at 2:20.

    Am I missing something?>
    I am a real estate wholesaler, let me know how I can help you!!!
    We Walk By Faith, Not By Sight!!!
    Woody Properties, LLC
  10. jackskid's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #50  
    mhzimmer, turn your system sound off in Prefs and your battery usage should be lower.
  11. #51  
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer View Post
    Just got off the phone with Palm support. The tech I spoke with said they are aware of the battery problem and that it is a HARDWARE problem, so a firmware upgrade won't fix it. Then just as he put me on hold to check if a new batch was available that fixes the problem
    Now that is bloody great. They screwed it again. Hardware problem, bingo!

    And I bet, all the guys sending back their units will receive ones with the same problem.... Deja vue, remember 650's when they came out?
    --
    Manfred
  12. #52  
    Can those of us who have actually contacted Palm about the battery being so poor post our case reference numbers, especially if Palm give us answers like the one above stating a known hardware problem!

    Without them all we can do is tell the support person that we know lots of others are also having problems and quote them a URL to the forum which I doubt they will ever read.

    My particular case reference is 1-165109107 and is being handled by Euro Tech Support (eurotechsupport.ee@palm.com)
  13. #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by tomtastic View Post
    Can those of us who have actually contacted Palm about the battery being so poor post our case reference numbers, especially if Palm give us answers like the one above stating a known hardware problem!

    Without them all we can do is tell the support person that we know lots of others are also having problems and quote them a URL to the forum which I doubt they will ever read.

    My particular case reference is 1-165109107 and is being handled by Euro Tech Support (eurotechsupport.ee@palm.com)
    I have to call them. How did you contact them? Via phone? Can you post the phone#?

    Thx
    --
    Manfred
  14. badler's Avatar
    Posts
    324 Posts
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    #54  
    I left me Treo 680 out of the charger today for an extended period of time -- from about 1pm until 9pm. The battery was drained to about 25 percent.

    I have an unlocked GSM Treo 680 on Cingular.

    A P.S. I had my phone in standby mode (no calls, no apps, no Internet) during that entire eight hours.
    Last edited by badler; 01/10/2007 at 09:37 PM.
  15. mslade's Avatar
    Posts
    16 Posts
    Global Posts
    18 Global Posts
       #55  
    1-813-313-4913

    Give as much data as you can - when on/off , standby/off, etc and power consumption.

    It looks like standby - no phoning/pda use, etc. with screen off loses about 5%/hr based on a guestimate average of three to five people's reports here. At a 300 hour standby time, consumption should be a tenth or so of what it seems to be.
  16. #56  
    My second day with the 680.. Off charger at 7am, online with GPRS all day with VeriChat and email running. SMSed about 10 messages back and forth. Played with it at least 45 minutes. Ran PalmInternals at least 15 times trying to figure out what was causing it to go slow by disabling apps 1-by-1, so that was at least another hour of on time. (340s down to 160 disabling ProfileCare.. meh.. Still bad..)

    20 minute phone call later, and it finally turned itself off around 8:30pm. Then I did a battery reset and let it charge all night. We'll see how well it does today.
  17. jackskid's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by mslade View Post
    Your overnight results are consistent with what I have seen.

    Please try it tonight with phone on (assuming that you won't get any calls!). I expect you will see a significant difference!

    Last night for 12 hours in standby I dropped from 10 to 63 percent! I'm starting to believe that part of the cause is the Cingular network. Although this is a all-bar location, the network seems to drop out, causing the treo to hunt for a network for a long time (at least minutes at times) which would result in major power consumption.

    When the treo is searching for a network, turning off the phone takes at least 30 seconds or more, too.

    Please, please, report your results to Palm and Cingular, asking them if they are hearing about the problem and point them to the various forums where people are complaining.

    thanks

    Last night I left the phone on overnight and my battery dropped 3% over an 8 hour period. Using the same settings with the phone off, 1% drop over the same period. Anyone should be able to live with this level of battery drain. My settings are:

    Camera not used since battery reset
    System sound off
    Beam off
    BT off
    Manually disconnect from network after last e mail check of day
    Keyshades hack
    30% screen backlight
    Phone on

    My conclusion is that the camera runs on the cpu constantly once you use it. The system sounds continue to run once they are used and the network data connection runs even though it is not scheduled to be used by an app. By addressing all of these I am now happy with my battery life. I will still buy an extended "slim" battery when it comes out. I rely on this Treo as my only business phone and use it sucessfully as my only data link as I travel around north america. I have sent this info to a product manager at palm and will now wait for whatever their solution will be.
  18. TT3
    TT3 is offline
    TT3's Avatar
    Posts
    1 Posts
    #58  
    Hello,

    Quote Originally Posted by jackskid View Post
    Last night I left the phone on overnight and my battery dropped 3% over an 8 hour period. Using the same settings with the phone off, 1% drop over the same period. Anyone should be able to live with this level of battery drain. My settings are:

    Camera not used since battery reset
    System sound off
    Beam off
    BT off
    Manually disconnect from network after last e mail check of day
    Keyshades hack
    30% screen backlight
    Phone on

    My conclusion is that the camera runs on the cpu constantly once you use it. The system sounds continue to run once they are used and the network data connection runs even though it is not scheduled to be used by an app. By addressing all of these I am now happy with my battery life. I will still buy an extended "slim" battery when it comes out. I rely on this Treo as my only business phone and use it sucessfully as my only data link as I travel around north america. I have sent this info to a product manager at palm and will now wait for whatever their solution will be.
    I don't think that the system sound is the problem. I have the same battery usage as you, but I have turned on the system sound. I agree with you that the main problem is the camera application!

    I hope Palm will place a patch as soon as possible, otherwise the treo 680 will be a dead device in the market.

    Best regards
    TT3

    EDIT: I also don't believe a hardware problem. It is not logic that a hardware problem can be solved by a battery calibration!
  19. jackskid's Avatar
    Posts
    59 Posts
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by TT3 View Post
    Hello,



    I don't think that the system sound is the problem. I have the same battery usage as you, but I have turned on the system sound. I agree with you that the main problem is the camera application!

    I hope Palm will place a patch as soon as possible, otherwise the treo 680 will be a dead device in the market.

    Best regards
    TT3

    EDIT: I also don't believe a hardware problem. It is not logic that a hardware problem can be solved by a battery calibration!
    Some people on other sites have had their system sounds "hang" and they hear constant static from the rear speaker.

    I do not think the 680 has a hardware issue either.
  20. #60  
    My drain starts out around 10% per hour. My 680 was plugged in from 6pm to 8am with the SIM card removed: 14 hours! I unplugged it at 8:15 AM. By noon, it was 61%. 3 hours have passed and it is now down to 39%. I have not used the Camera application. Bluetooth has been turned off all day. The Network is connected and has been since early this morning. I have had 3 calls, with total talk time of less than 10 minutes.

    I have tried soft resetting and warm resetting. I have tried the charge it with the SIM card out. Nothing has improved the discharge. I have let it fully discharge to the point where the phone will not turn on and then re-charged it. Nothing so far has helped.

    I finally called in to Palm today

    Palm has agreed to a swap, (After 3 phone calls) but I have to send them the phone. They are paying the shipping charges both ways. I wish I had not turned in my TREO650 to offset the cost. I have another, but I need to fix the screen. The 680 won't be shipped back until I have something else to use.

    For anyone keeping track:

    Firmware: MW01.50
    Software: TREO680-1.04-ROW
    CC-Cap: 000-000-000
    Carrier DB: 355
    Hardware: A
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions