Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1.    #1  
    Due to the Energy Policy Act of 2005, 2007 will mark a change in how Daylight Savings Time works. Clocks will now be changed in March (second Sunday) & November (first Sunday) instead of April & October.
    My treo automagically adjust the time for me on DST boundary days. I imagine some kind of software update will be necessary to support these changes, no?

    Any word on if they're available yet?
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
  2. #2  
    my clock automatically adjusts from the CDMA phone network. Soon as it happens, the time changes for me. Yours should be the same.
  3. #3  
    Not if you have it turned off to save battery power.
  4. #4  
    Does this mean you have to enable the network time?
    at&t Treo 680, SW 2.11-ATT
    Cingular Treo 650 Unlocked, SW 1.17-CNG/FW 1.51
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by basco1 View Post
    Not if you have it turned off to save battery power.
    You do realize it updates once a day, yes? My dog farted and caused my 680 to drop to -105% battery! I swear!
  6. #6  
    I just now put a reminder at 8am on the two Sundays listed. . . . . . . I have found that "network" time varies from day to day (plus and minus) from the NIST, so I have not enabled network time.

    http://nist.time.gov/timezone.cgi?Eastern/d/-5/java



    (Yes, watches and time have always been that sort of thing for me.)

    Last edited by gtwo; 01/05/2007 at 06:28 AM.
  7. #7  
    Each city in Palm's locations database has configuration as to whether the city observes DST and, if so, when it starts and stops. It's possible to manually adjust these values. That's a reasonable thing for one to do with your home city, but would be tedious to do over all North American cities you might visit.

    Surely, there is an automated way to get this done.
  8. gottago's Avatar
    Posts
    197 Posts
    Global Posts
    249 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    You do realize it updates once a day, yes? My dog farted and caused my 680 to drop to -105% battery! I swear!
    ROTFLMAO
  9. #9  
    I have my network time enabled and I don't have a problem.

    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    You do realize it updates once a day, yes? My dog farted and caused my 680 to drop to -105% battery! I swear!
  10. #10  
    And I don't have a dog!
  11.    #11  
    Back when I first got my 650, 2 or 3 years ago, I remember there being some kind of significant bug involving network time, so I disabled mine. Has that issue been resolved now?
    Unlocked GSM Palm 650.
  12. #13  
    If you use Windows Mobile (or Outlook for you desktop) you need to patch them for the DST issue even if you already loaded the Windows patch and you use network time on your phone. The problem is that your computer (and handheld) will have the right time, but appointments will be recorded incorrectly. This is because OUtlook and Windows Mobile record appts based on UTC. Explanation and patches here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/timezone/dst2007.mspx

    I believe that Palm desktop and the Palm OS do not use this method and therefore the phone itself doesn't have to know the DST start and end dates (since you get the time from the network). if anyone knows if I am right or wrong about this, please let us know.
  13. #14  
    Palm's have an OS facility to set the DST start/end times. Of course, it has to since not all Palm devices have cellular radios and therefore cannot find out network times.

    There are also murmurings of performance issues when using the sync-with-network-time feature in Treos. Myself, I've had a weird timezone appear out of the blue ... something like 2 hours and 15 minutes off from what it should be ... when I used the network time sync. Obviously, I've since turned that thing off, so I'm interested in the internal Palm database for DST to be updated with the new rules.

    Palm? Hello? You've got till March 11th to come up with a fix.
  14. #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by PatrickS View Post
    Palm's have an OS facility to set the DST start/end times. Of course, it has to since not all Palm devices have cellular radios and therefore cannot find out network times.

    There are also murmurings of performance issues when using the sync-with-network-time feature in Treos. Myself, I've had a weird timezone appear out of the blue ... something like 2 hours and 15 minutes off from what it should be ... when I used the network time sync. Obviously, I've since turned that thing off, so I'm interested in the internal Palm database for DST to be updated with the new rules.

    Palm? Hello? You've got till March 11th to come up with a fix.
    Patrick:

    Were you referring to the following when you mentioned "Palm's have an OS facility to set the DST start/end times. "?

    Prefs>Date&Time>select the dialog roll-down beside Location: and scroll to the bottom of the list and select Edit List...>Pick out your location in the list and edit the START: box to Second Sunday of March and edit the END: box to First Sunday of November and press OK.
  15. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    Patrick:

    Were you referring to the following when you mentioned "Palm's have an OS facility to set the DST start/end times. "?

    Prefs>Date&Time>select the dialog roll-down beside Location: and scroll to the bottom of the list and select Edit List...>Pick out your location in the list and edit the START: box to Second Sunday of March and edit the END: box to First Sunday of November and press OK.
    Yes, that would be it.
  16. #17  
    Thanks OTR. BTW, does anyone else notice on the 680 that it takes about 30s to exit the Date & Time prefs, or maybe I have something else that's doing that..
  17. #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    BTW, does anyone else notice on the 680 that it takes about 30s to exit the Date & Time prefs, or maybe I have something else that's doing that..
    Same here.
  18. #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_OTR_Fan View Post
    Prefs>Date&Time>select the dialog roll-down beside Location: and scroll to the bottom of the list and select Edit List...>Pick out your location in the list and edit the START: box to Second Sunday of March and edit the END: box to First Sunday of November and press OK.
    Uh oh, can't do that on a Treo 600...
  19. #20  
    Quote Originally Posted by jberman View Post
    Uh oh, can't do that on a Treo 600...
    Never mind, found it. You have to change the DST rules for your home city in the CityTime application. Wish there was a way to update all of the affected cities automatically, though.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions