Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
    Never had a smartphone before so unsure what my usage was going to be like - just got my Orange UK bill and my data use for December was 52.5mb....

I can't get a signal at home (and didn't use data at all over christmas) so only used it or 3 weeks of the billing cycle for data... although I probably used more playing with it.....

Orange UK charge 88 per month for unlimited data and 41 for 80mb of data - if you buy a bundle (you get charged even if you don't use it). the charge per MB without the bundle is massive

Thankfully I'm on an old and now unavailable unlimited data plan at 3.40 per month....

But I bet a few new users have run up massive charges this month......
    This is typical. The Treo DOES use data repeatedly even if you're not surfing the web or checking email. There are updates streaming and some software also streams. Anyone having a Treo should have an unlimited plan.
    Using my treo 650 for business:
    DesignExtend.com
    52mb is normal for me. Last month, with ptunes 4.0 out I streamed some music and ended up using 372mb. I also have unlimited data.
    I hit 2gb last month.
    Quote Originally Posted by mediasi View Post
    This is typical. The Treo DOES use data repeatedly even if you're not surfing the web or checking email. There are updates streaming and some software also streams. Anyone having a Treo should have an unlimited plan.
    Say, what?

Are you trying to say the Treo is constantly using data all on its own, other than web surfing or email retrieval????

I beg to differ.

I use TrafficStat to track my GSM data usage and I know exactly when my data meter is ticking. The values reported by TrafficStat are extremely close to the numbers that appear each month on my bill, so I'm pretty sure it is telling me the truth. It just isn't true that there's some sort of background data transfer going on.
    Mediasi posted:

WHAT?

Please tell me you are just kidding here! How would the Treo 680 use data if not told directly to do so when the 650 did not? With all the problems I had with my 650s I had the unlimited data turned off. Since I've had the 680 ( well actually four of them) but now seem to have one that works I still have not turned on the data plan until I am certain that the phone/pda side of the device is solid. I have gone to the net to do my speed test but that is all - no email, no surfing nada. There had better not be any internet usage charges to my account for other than these or someone will be in deep trouble!

If the Treos as you state connect to the internet at will then we hadn't ought to even be charged for this!

I don't mind paying for internet service for when I use it - but a darn sure won't pay for it if the phone fires itself up and hooks to the internet on its own!

Kind of like this:

I don't mind paying for the gas that goes into my car for my use - but I certainly will revolt when my car starts on its own and uses up that gas!

What proof do you have that the Treo does this self connect?

This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    I can't believe how many people have treos without the unlimited data. I would be over all the time if I didnt have unlimiited.
    I just got back from a month in Canada. I used a local carrier and added a 5Mb package., I didn't use half of it, but I was careful not to use the web except for checking email three or four times a day, and sending a very few email message and photos.