Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Well I saw this working on the 750v, I heard the Mini SD Wifi Card won't work on the 680 b/c of the Palm OS.

Can anyone confirm this? There must be a 3rd party app that will run it on the Palm OS. If it's not possible, has someone come out with a BT wifi card?

Having no Wifi kinda stinks, b/c the entire DT core of Toronto, Canada will be Wifi Ready very soon.
  2.    #2  
    Bluetooth and WiFi SD & Memory Sticks in Development

Posted By: Ryan on Friday, March 28, 2003 3:25:14 PM
    Hagiwara Sys-Com, a Japanese semiconductor company, have announced they are developing four wireless cards for Palm OS devices. The company plans to release both Secure Digital (SD) and Memory Stick (MS) Bluetooth and WiFi cards this summer.

WiFi Cards
    The memory stick and SD WiFi cards allows access to any 802.1b access point. It has a range of approximately 37 meters, or 120 feet and support 40/128 WEP encryption. The memory stick version requires Palm OS 5, while the SD version will work with Palm OS 4 or greater.

Bluetooth Cards
    The Hagiwara Bluetooth cards comply with Bluetooth v1.1. Both cards will enable devices to connect with other Bluetooth enabled products. They will work with Palm OS 4 and higher devices.

Hagiwara says that the development of these products is already well underway and the products will be available in the third quarter. Pricing will be announced when the products become available. More technical information on the cards can be found here.

http://www.palminfocenter.com/images...s_wireless.jpg

http://www.palminfocenter.com/view_story.asp?ID=5164

Does anyone have this sucka?
  3.    #3  
    Spectec 802.11b SDIO Wi-Fi Card

http://i.expansys.com/i/l/l121110.jpg

http://www.expansys.ca/p.aspx?i=121110

What about this one???
    What is the speed difference between WiFi and say Bluetooth? I'm sure it's great but will the WiFi overwhelm the 680's processor and memory?
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I thought a WiFi card on the 680 would never work...if one would work that would be awesome
    Wifi won't work on any PalmOS treos, only WM.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
    Quote Originally Posted by scottymomo View Post
    Wifi won't work on any PalmOS treos, only WM.
    Care to explain?
    Palm OS Treos can't run WiFi because 5.4.9 can't handle an additional data connection. Shadowmite hacked the T5 WiFi card to work on the older firmware Treos, but the connection was flaky and your cellular data connection was disabled until you did a hard reset, which would in turn disable WiFi. Newer firmwares don't allow this hack to work at all.

The best we can hope for is that Dmitry of PalmPowerUps can come up with a solution. He just started working on things late December, but we've heard nothing more from him since then.
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    Palm OS Treos can't run WiFi because 5.4.9 can't handle an additional data connection. Shadowmite hacked the T5 WiFi card to work on the older firmware Treos, but the connection was flaky and your cellular data connection was disabled until you did a hard reset, which would in turn disable WiFi. Newer firmwares don't allow this hack to work at all.

The best we can hope for is that Dmitry of PalmPowerUps can come up with a solution. He just started working on things late December, but we've heard nothing more from him since then.
    It sounds like you just said it's not possible unless someone comes up with a way.

Seems kinda oxymoronic, to me.
  10.    #10  
    Wuzup with the Wifi Sled that worked on the 600,650 and 680? Sled or card it shouldn't matter right?

Someone used a 650 Wifi sled on the 680, the pics and thread is somewhere in this forum.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    thats true yes but they also got the new still in beta enfora drivers from enfora b/c they couldn't get their regular drivers to work for some reason on their 650 so they requested an update
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
    Quote Originally Posted by jpizzaj View Post
    thats true yes but they also got the new still in beta enfora drivers from enfora b/c they couldn't get their regular drivers to work for some reason on their 650 so they requested an update
    What?

To which post are you responding?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    the post above my last about the wifi sled working on the 680
    Visor Neo-->Visor Edge-->Visor Prism(with Visorphone)-->Treo 180-->Treo 600-->Treo 180-->Copper Treo 680-->Treo 270-->Treo 800w
    So....in essence there IS hope! I remember that post (cuz I asked too) and it seems to be that if enforza was willing to build a sled for the new form factor it'd be no problem (the problem that user had was the sled was slack on his 680)...
    I don't think we'll see Palm OS and WiFi together until we move beyond Garnet 5.4.9. A patch or update probably won't do it. This was one of the hopes for Cobalt, but with that dream withering and dying on the vine, I think we're SOL until we get a Linux solution for Palm.
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    wait wasnt the new line of treos supposed to have upgradeable os? i thought i remembered reading something about that before the 680 was even announced. did that get abandoned i assume then?
    well all enfora would reallt have to do in order to be cost effective is to make a battery door with the clip holes in it i mean in his pic it looked like nothing else was in the way.
    Quote Originally Posted by jpizzaj View Post
    wait wasnt the new line of treos supposed to have upgradeable os? i thought i remembered reading something about that before the 680 was even announced. did that get abandoned i assume then?
    Technically Palm could release an OS upgrade for the 600/650/680/700p, but that would hurt their business. They WANT people to buy a new phone.

Personally I would pay 50-100 bucks if I could upgrade the OS on a 680 to the future Palm OS. I think Palm should really start treating the PDA's like the computers they are.
    I'm looking to get an extra battery cover for my 680 and I'll put the clip-holes in myself. hahaah The beta drivers are still a hit and miss (I'm the guy who found the compatibility), but hey, better than nothing.
    (PowerPlay Vs) >> palmOne Zire 31 >>
    (palm Tungsten T3)/(palmOne Zire 72s) >> (palm Black Tie Trēo 650 Custom)/
    (palmOne LifeDrive Custom [SanDisk Ultra II CF])/(palm m515)/(palm T|X)
    handspring Visor Deluxe/Tapwave Zodiac 2/palm Trēo 680 Copper Orange

Canuck PDA
    Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by theweaselslayer View Post
    Palm OS Treos can't run WiFi because 5.4.9 can't handle an additional data connection.
    What about the VPN option? is that not a data connection? Couldnt this be used for wifi?
    Global Posts
    121 Global Posts
    alright can someone do me a favore since my bro won't stop annoying me about it and answer this question very plainly so he'll stop pestering me

"is there any way to browse the web through bluetooth?"
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast