1.    #1  
    OK guys, don't laugh.

Hi, I'm John and I still own a Samsung I330 PDA Phone.

ALL SHOUT "Hi John!"

I've had the I330 for over 3 years and have been hesitating jumping on the Treo bandwagon for two resons.

1. I luv the graffiti (I know I can get 3rd party sw for it now)
    2. Initial rumours that I couldn't tether the 700P to the laptop and dial up the internet using my $10/month vision plan. I traevl a lot and this is how I pass the time in the airports (surfin the net).

I think I'm past #1 since I went to the Sprint store and played with the phone keyboard for a while but #2 is still bugging me.

So, Dr. Lauara, my question is, if I get the 700P will I be able to connect to the laptop the same as my I330? If so, will it be any faster or same speed? I don't want to fork out the $40 or so for the EVDO or the modem option or whatever its called.

p.s. Is there any 700P follow-ups on the horizon (e.g. that have wifi capability)?
    I have a camera for the I330 rare...bought it on ebay interested???
    usertuna3141@netscape.net
    I had an i500 for three years and was hesitant to switch as well. I don't miss graffiti at all, and that was a major concern on my part. As far as your questions, if you get PDA Net, which costs around $35, you can tether your Treo to a standard Powervision plan ($15/mo on Sprint) and you will not have to pay the extra money for a tethering plan. It works just fine. The 700P is a whole different animal than the Samsung phones, and I really enjoy all the things it can do that I never even thought about doing with my i500. That doesn't change the one thing I can't stand about the Treo....compared to any of the Samsung PDA phones, it's a huge unwieldy brick that is a pain to carry and uncomfortable to use. Why someone can't make a Palm OS phone with a better form factor is way beyond me. I love the Treo, haven't had a lot of problems others complain about like lagging, but the design leaves a whole bunch to be desired.
    Quote Originally Posted by coolgreany View Post
    OK guys, don't laugh.1. I luv the graffiti (I know I can get 3rd party sw for it now)...
    I learned Grafitti on the Treo 300. When I moved to the treo 600, I hated the keyboard and loved grafitti, so I installed GrafittiAnywhere (which was freeware) and liked that. I occasionally used the keyboard but was not "converted". I didn't ever use a treo 650, but recently upgraded to the 700p. The keyboard is great, and I don't miss graffiti one bit.

2. Initial rumours that I couldn't tether the 700P to the laptop and dial up the internet using my $10/month vision plan. I traevl a lot and this is how I pass the time in the airports (surfin the net).

... #2 is still bugging me.
    1) I doubt they'll let you only pay for Vision (1xrtt) instead of Power Vision (EVDO). As mentioned in a previous response, you should be able to get it for $15/month instead of $10/

2) In addition to PdaNet, there is a "tethered mode hack" in the following thread (I haven't tried the tethered mode hack, so YMMV):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=115986

2a) PDAnet works well and you'll have better speeds on EVDO than your current 1xrtt.

2b) Sprint officially requires a "Phone As a Modem" (PAM) plan in order to officially use data tethering. I believe the tethered mode hack (and definitely PdaNet) are ways to achieve tethered mode functionality without paying for it. Personally, from an ethical standpoint, if I used tethered mode all of the time (ie: as a substute for home internet access), I'd want to pay for it. If I only use it once in a blue moon (ususally/often less than or equal to once a month for perhaps an hour or two), I can't justify paying Sprint for such occasional use. On my vision plan with the treo 600, seldomly used PdaNet but regularly downloaded newsfeeds via QucikNews and often streamed Shoutcast all night long, and Sprint would occasionally send me a nastygram via snail-mail indicating that my data usage was high and I should really be on a PAM plan. I always ignored such letters, as PTunes was included with the device, and my tethered use dwarfed my "on device" use. YMMV, but if you are currently tethering, you're probably arleady violating the official TOS, and I'd think that the data usage limit for the nasty-grams is probably higher on EVDO than Ixrtt plans.

p.s. Is there any 700P follow-ups on the horizon (e.g. that have wifi capability)?
    Regarding WiFi, the carriers have never added it in the past, after a device was out. Sprint had implied they could/might add it later prior to the release of the treo 600, but I'd take the historical evidence to mean "No way in hell, until market forces force us to do it.

I hope you make the switch to the Treo. If you want to save some money, consider getting a "refurbished Treo 650" instead of the 700p. I think it has the same keyboard as the 700, and is generally as good or better than the 700p at most things, except it has less memory and uses 1xrtt instead of EVDO. In your case, coming form the I330, you'll have more than enough memory for your existing programs (that function) on the treo 650, and you would not have to switch your plan. If I recall, tethering is possible on the 650 without the hack to disable the flag, and you can buy PdaNet for that ersion too. For that matter, you could even use a treo 600, but I'd recommend the 650 for your use, since there are lots more people using it and most programs still run on it.

-- Bob
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    Quote Originally Posted by bclancy View Post
    Regarding WiFi, the carriers have never added it in the past, after a device was out. Sprint had implied they could/might add it later prior to the release of the treo 600, but I'd take the historical evidence to mean "No way in hell, until market forces force us to do it.
    OK, maybe I'm wrong (but currently I'm still saying "I'll believe it when I see it):

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...d.php?t=133105
    (see post #2 in the thread above)
    I'm both super! ... and a doer!
    That was posted in 2003...and nothing appears on their website about it. I suspect it died....
    I still have my old grandfathered vision plan in which data is free (its a very old plan). I have been using it with my 700p for 8 months getting EVDO speeds. I downloaded the tether hack file from this board and I can tether my laptop for free and get broad band speeds. Don't listen to the people who tell you that it can't be done because it can. There are dozens more on this board that have the same setup that I do. When you call to activate the 700p they will tell you that you need to upgrade your plan to get it to work at EVDO speeds. I told them that I was not sure yet if I wanted to keep the 700p and asked them to just do a straight equipment swap. The guy said sure, no problem. Guess what? The only difference between PCS vision and Power Vision is the price.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
  8.    #8  
    Thanks folks. I'm going to be scouring EBay and Craigslist for a good used 700P!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rc46 View Post
    I still have my old grandfathered vision plan in which data is free (its a very old plan). I have been using it with my 700p for 8 months getting EVDO speeds. I downloaded the tether hack file from this board and I can tether my laptop for free and get broad band speeds. Don't listen to the people who tell you that it can't be done because it can. There are dozens more on this board that have the same setup that I do. When you call to activate the 700p they will tell you that you need to upgrade your plan to get it to work at EVDO speeds. I told them that I was not sure yet if I wanted to keep the 700p and asked them to just do a straight equipment swap. The guy said sure, no problem. Guess what? The only difference between PCS vision and Power Vision is the price.
    You were lucky. I tried that and they wouldn't change my ESN without changing my plan....but in my case it didn't make any difference because the cost was the same.....$15/mo. The fact is that there isn't any price difference between PCS Vision and Power Vision....except for one thing- text messaging.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post
    You were lucky. I tried that and they wouldn't change my ESN without changing my plan....but in my case it didn't make any difference because the cost was the same.....$15/mo. The fact is that there isn't any price difference between PCS Vision and Power Vision....except for one thing- text messaging.
    You are right about the text messaging. I just got my first 700p bill and it had $100 worth of text messaging charges on it. I immediately called the retention office and they informed me that the old plans that we have no longer show up in the system. In my case they change it to a new powervision plan but they did overrides in the system so that my bill did not change and they reversed the charges for the text messaging. If anyone has an old powervision plan with the unlimmited text messages you will run into this problem.

The other thing that sprint has not figured out is why anybody would pay them for the extra channels in sprint tv when sprint also offers mobi tv where you get 35 to 40 channels for less money. Sprint tv is $3 to $5 a channel and mobi tv is $9.95 for all the channels.

This also makes me question the PAM policy. Watching tv on the phone uses much more data than PAM does. Listening to the radio on the treo uses more data. Since both of these features come installed on the phone for you to use the PAM policy seems a little strange.
    Same thing happened to me. The Sprint website doesn't exactly make it clear that Powervision does not include text messenging. I happened to check my usage online and realized that they were going to charge me 15 cents per message. I called #2 and told them I had no idea that was the case; the rep not only wiped them out, but gave me three months free service before instituting the $5/mo 300 message plan, which is plenty for me. When you are signing up, ask for three free months; they are supposed to be available, as I understand it.
    Quote Originally Posted by davidra View Post

With the old PCS vision plans text messaging is also free.
    Pilot 1000 -> Pilot 5000 ->Palm Pilot Professional -> HP 620LX -> TRG Pro -> Palm V -> Palm Vx -> Palm M505 -> Palm i705 -> Palm Tungsten|T -> Samsung i500 -> Treo 600->Treo 650 -> Treo 600-> Treo 700p ->Centro ->Treo 800w + Redfly C8n -> Palm Pre -> HP Touchpad
    R.I.P Palm 1996-2011
    Yes, that's exactly what I just said.....but most people don't have free Vision plans. Mine was $15/mo, so I end up paying an additional $5 a month which will include all the messages I need. I'm glad you are able to get all your data for free, but that's not an option for almost everyone else. In my case, I negotiated through retention an excellent deal for the phone, because I had not signed a contract for over 2 years. By the time the rebates were totalled up, I ended up paying a very small amount for the phone, plus my institution had a contract with Sprint so I get an automatic 18% decrease in my monthly bill. I'm quite happy and don't mind paying the extra $5.
    If you had unlimmited text before they were suppose to give it to you for the price of the 300 text messages. It might not matter to you because you said 300 was plenty , but others need to know how to deal with sprint. Thanks for pointing out the freebie. It would be great if we could somehow place all of our findings in a how to upgrade phone sticky so anybody changing phones could just read the list to sprint as they were getting the newphone set up

Something else I just discovered is that Kinoma is embedded in the 700p which allows streaming video and audio. I listen to music all day at work using this. That has to be alot of data. I think the only reason for the PAM plan is so that people dont use the treo to do massive uploads or hook the phone into a router
  15.    #15  
    Found a few-day old 700P on the local craigslist. The guy had it as a new replacement from Sprint for a 650 but wanted a regular phone. I nabbed it and a few cases for $330!! The thing is brand new!! Have desktop synch and email setup (I think). The tethering is next but I'll have to get a copy of pdanet first. First impressions is I may not need to tether this thing - it's awesome so far.