1.    #1  
    Sorry if this has been asked before (I did do a search) but I'm a bit confused. When I installed the Verizon Desktop software, a whole bunch of stuff appeared on the Hot Sync Install, and I don't recognize any of it. Is there anything there that I have to have? I don't use VersaMail, and I can't imagine what PassThruSync is. I'm trying to clean up the mess that was on my 650, so I'd hate to start this nice, clean install with a lot of files I don't need.
    Thanks!!
    bernilynn
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    bernilynn

Welcome to the world of Treo 700p!

Well, it's been a while since I installed my software, but if I remember correctly in the CD you get:

- Versamail
    - Verizon endorsed software for DUN (if you pay 15 extra a month you get to use this software)
    - Bejeweled 2
    - Solitaire
    - Palm Files

Now, as you stated you don't need email apps, I'd strongly recommend installing Palm Files. It lets you manage all data installed in your SD card from the Treo, without the need for a PC. If you feel like trying out games, definitely Solitaire and Bejeweled are good choices.
  3.    #3  
    Thanks, Waldo15- My big problem was that I could not figure out what all the files on my "install" actually were. If they are all connected to VersaMail, then I don't need them. Most start with "MM," but make no sense to me.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    bejeweled is just a trial though I thought.
    If I could know then, what I know now.
    Quote Originally Posted by bernilynn View Post
    Thanks, Waldo15- My big problem was that I could not figure out what all the files on my "install" actually were. If they are all connected to VersaMail, then I don't need them. Most start with "MM," but make no sense to me.
    I think the 'mm' is an abbreviation for multi-mail . . . .and are VersaMail files. . . . but someone please confirm this.
    Global Posts
    565 Global Posts
    Bejeweled is the full version, though I have to correct myself is BEJEWELED the first version, not Bejeweled 2... that was my bad .

MM is usually associated with Versamail.

The way you see the actuall install names is letting the CD do its autorun in your computer. If you have already installed the software (i.e. Palm Desktop and drivers) then the splash screen will show the extras that you can install, and they are clearly listed there as Versamail, Palm Files, etc.
  7.    #7  
    The package I got yesterday with my new 700p has 2 CDs- one with Palm Software installation, and the other with the Verizon interactive guide (which I haven't looked at.) I installed the new software using the autorun. There is no spash screen. The applications are listed in the folder as "Essential software," and include Bejeweled, Palm File Apps, eReader, etc. There is no mention of VersaMail. Just to make sure, I reinstalled the CD. The same list of incomprehensible files appeared in my Hot Sync Install.

However, I have successfully reloaded all the applications I had been using on my 650 (there's SO much memory left!!!) and everything appears to be working well. I guess whatever I didn't install wasn't essential, at least not to me.

Thanks, all, for your help!

bernilynn