Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hey folks checkout the sneak preview of the new Palmgear site at http://staging.palmgear.com/

Ethos
    Originally posted by ethos
    Hey folks checkout the sneak preview of the new Palmgear site at http://staging.palmgear.com/

Ethos
    Cool! I like the splitting of the top 50 categories! I miss the little palm-guy, tho.
    Obviously, no one at PalmGear took a minute to look at the site on a Mac.

Idiots.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne
  4.    #4  
    Originally posted by homer

Idiots.
    Let them now what you think.

http://staging.palmgear.com/shared/i...cecomments.cfm

That word in the url should be interfacecomments. For some reason it doesn't show up correct.
    I hope they are not running the new web site on a windows box! Hopefully they are using something a bit more stable and up to the task.
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    I love when Windows bashers find ways to slip their "windows sucks" comments into every discussion. And yes, I know they are running Windows on their servers.
    I wish I could. But, like I said, their new site doesn't work on a Mac.

Ugh.

I love when Windows bashers find ways to slip their "windows sucks" comments into every discussion. And yes, I know they are running Windows on their servers.
    Windows is fine...it really matters what kind of back-end system they are running. Their old site was buggy and slow. I hope that addressed that prior to worrying about a new interface on the front-end.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne

Idiots.
    I linked the site and posted for you, Homer. Now they know it won't work on a Mac.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Windows is fine...it really matters what kind of back-end system they are running. Their old site was buggy and slow. I hope that addressed that prior to worrying about a new interface on the front-end.
    Agreed - I can't stand the current Palmgear site, and the preview looks just as cluttered and unnavigable. I recently purchased FAFilemover through PalmGear, and I couldn't believe how ambiguous the instructions were and how clumsy the whole process was. If I hadn't read dozens of posts about people having purchases this or that from Palmgear, I wouldn't have trusted a site with such a sloppy ordering system.

Interface aside, it has always run slow and unreliably for me. Windows is not a very good platform for serving web pages... I know there are plenty of people who will swear up and down that it's just as good as unix/linux, but I have yet to see an example. A Windows interface is nice for the server admin, but a GUI (and all the overhead it uses) just isn't needed on a computer whose sole function is serving web pages.

I like Windows as a workstation OS... it has plenty of instabilities and shortcomings, but overall I much prefer it to MacOS. XWindows for Linux is fine, but it still has a ways to go. I have to admit that Microsoft's .Net plan scares me silly, though.

All of this is just my $0.02... nothing more - everyone has their own likes and dislikes, and I think most people don't mind discussing them on a BBS like this as long as it doesn't turn into the same old Mac sucks/Windows sucks flamewar.
    <br>"Form follows function - that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union" -Frank Lloyd Wright
    Originally posted by na2rboy

I'm not a windows basher,, I am just all for the right tool for the right job.. It's apparent that MS's webserver isn't up to the task of handling palmgear's website, in my book that's a sign to move to something that scales up better and a bit more stable.. (i.e. a *nix OS)
    "One of the most important things you learn from the internet is that there is no ‘them’ out there. It’s just an awful lot of ‘us’." -- Douglas Adams
    Originally posted by EricG

I'm not a windows basher,, I am just all for the right tool for the right job.. It's apparent that MS's webserver isn't up to the task of handling palmgear's website, in my book that's a sign to move to something that scales up better and a bit more stable.. (i.e. a *nix OS)
    And what makes you think that it's the tool, and not the web site developers not using the tool properly? Maybe you are an expert at ColdFusion multi-server load balancing web server deployment on MS platforms? hmmmm...
    Maybe I am..

For the record, I like the new Palmgear website... hopefully it will be less buggy and not lockup my web browser as often (seeing it was the only website on the internet that did)
    I think that a large part of the problem was that they didn't scale the site very well. PalmGear is probably one of the heavier trafficed sites on the Web. I would love to see some numbers on that. Just think of the traffic they must get every time something like WordSmith or DateBk is released. The "Timeouts" where often due to the fact that the servers and databases just couldn't keep up with demand. There probably where tweeks they could have done to the load balancing and the way they were caching their database querries, but that probably wasn't easy until now with the redesign. I hope this works out for them. I know that PG is the first site I hit everyday.

Anybody notice that you will see fewer new/updated apps on the front page. I think I counted a drop from 16 to 12 (total). I just hope they start getting on they companies who repost stuff every time they add a period to their documentation. (MyXYZ, etc.) Those groups are abusing the posting rules set forth by PalmGear, and make the experience of finding "real" new and updated software less enjoyable or informative. Personally, I also wish they would add a personal filter option so I didn't have to see Documents, Novels, and suplimental files (DOC files, map files, etc.) being posted as new or updated application.
    Bryan Nystrom
    Natara Software, Inc.
    bnystrom, I agree with you 100%.. It may have been a case where they didn't expect to be as popular as they are and get the kind of traffic they are getting now..
    I don't find the current blue border very friendly or professional. I prefer a direct link to a colour (app and DB) section. I don't care for grey on web sites either.

I'd prefer to see C|Net add some screen shots and update more quickly with their PalmOS software, because the layout there is simple and well structured. It seemed before the New Year that they were adding new software in greater volume and more quickly.
    "The Greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance -- it is the illusion of knowledge." -- Daniel Borstin
    Can't wait to try it out with PalmScape

New layout looks 'nice', but my real issue was the unreliability and awkward purchasing process. Only time will tell if these have been sorted.

I now use Handango instead.
  17.    #17  
    I like the new look and the popup menus. What I'd like to see is once you have chosen a link that it would change color. It doesn't seem to be doing that. Overall seems faster I haven't had it time out.

Ethos
    at Palmgear - the shopping cart link crashed on me 4 times with basic Server side or Coldfusion errors! I could not buy! I notified the Memplug company and they informed that Memplug will soon be available on Amazon.com
    When shopping carts start to crash , then companies that resell through PalmGear should be very wary.
    I think they assume they have a monopoly by the branding - we know what happens to monopolies :-)
    As of today Palmgear has not contacted me with an explanation as to what happened.
    Its always funny when I see this notice after a Server crash:
    "Please inform the site administrator that this error has occurred" - what do they think, that I am their employee!
    bye
    AM
    oh BTW - I use a Mac :-)
    I was so excited to click on that link and see what lies underneath.

I can only say I am very disappointed. Working everyday with UI layouts and usability strategies I can only say that this wait for the new site is a disappointment. All jokes aside, but did someone really pick out that blue/violet? Do they really have hired consultants or developers creating this site? It's terrible.

I have many, many sites under my belt... one that received over 1.3 million hits a day during March Madness. We used IIS and NT 4. I won't say it was the best solution, but to say that it won't work or shouldn't be done isn't very correct either. I am not a network admin, architect, etc.. but the site ran just fine with this infrastructure. I would say it is 6 of one, half dozen of the other. If you have the correct resources (admin, developers, etc..) a Windows infrastructure can keep up with your *nix OS. (Good wildcard by the way).

Back to the site, the top nav's color is so dark that it blends in right with the background. Why not use white as a background? I can give HUGE kudos to finally categorizing the damn software. This bugged me so much that I eventually started using other sites. In essence, the body of the pages is really the same site. They didn't do any information architecture restructuring, and it's not like they needed to but every site have improvement possibilities. Palmgear is no exception. The search module again needs to be sought out in order to use. I have always thought searchs are the easiest to locate in the upper right hand corner. That's just me.

I could go on, maybe I am just bored and should stop bringing work home with me. I think the time we had to wait for this new site doesn't proportionately relate to the quality of work here. WHY USE COLDFUSION AGAIN? DOES ANY SITE USE COLDFUSION? (especially with P.G.'s size of an audience?) Use jsp or asp, or something else.

fine, bye.
    All things aside.. All I care about is that it doesn't hang my web browser when I try to go to it.. It could be fuchsia & purple with neon orange.. so long as it *works*

I also am involved with user GUI development with some aspects of my job, and the look & style also has a lot to do with usability, but I think P.G. needs to work on basic functionality first..

I think lots of home-brew sites (see: look ma, I made my own website) use coldfusion.. not professional websites.. prototyping maybe, but not production use.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast