1.    #1  
    After a bit of testing on my own and after following some threads in this forum, I have come to the conclusion that the 680 simply does not like certain SD cards. I bought a cheap Ativa 2 Gig SD card a while back and put it in my 680. Every once in a while my 680 would freeze, but I wasn't sure why.

Eventually, I figured out that if I configured Chatter to keep mailboxes on the SD card, it caused these freezes. I configured Chatter to keep mailboxes in the Treo's memory and the freezes stopped.

Some time later, I tried to take a picture and save it on the SD card, but the 680 froze again. I would always just remove the battery and reboot when this happened, but eventually I figured out that if I just pop the SD card out, the Treo would operate fine again. If I put the SD card back in, it would freeze immediately. Only after a reboot, could I insert the card again without the device freezing.

Interestingly, I have used this card successfully to copy files back and forth from the 680, so it doesn't always freeze when accessing the card. Apparently only certain types of I/O operations cause this problem. In addition, the 650, TX, and Lifedrive have no problem with this card at all. I have also used the card in digital cameras and with the PC with no issues.

I know there will be those tempted to chastise me for buying a cheap card, and you may have a point, but I believe this is a 680 bug. There have been other threads about the 680 freezing. I just wonder if the SD card is the biggest culprit.

Perhaps we can post here which brands of SD cards cause problems.
    Last edited by paesano; 01/02/2007 at 09:31 AM.
    The wise man breaks wind and is gone... - J. Tull
    I have the palm 1gb card, from the mobile music pack.
    It works great, no freezing of any programs. I save attachments for gmail and work mail on it, through chatter. I run google maps, minitones, directory assistant, and the free games the cd came with.
    i bought a transcend 2gb, can only tell me if they have been having problems with this card.
    Using the Sandisk 2gb and PNY microSD cards, no problems with either.

Quote Originally Posted by paesano View Post
    After a bit of testing on my own and after following some threads in this forum, I have come to the conclusion that the 680 simply does not like certain SD cards.
    SanDisk and PNY (different sizes) work with NO problem for me...

As for Chatter, I always found it to be somewhat less stable, and of course slower, when storing messages on SD. Fortunately, with the 680 having so much more RAM than the 650, I don't have to have messages on SD anymore, and only use SD for storing pictures, music, and some infrequently used apps (using PowerRUN).

-SC
    "Never put off until tomorrow what you can do today. There might be a law against it by that time." -/usr/games/fortune
    Kingtons (Toshiba) - 2GB

Flawless, hasn't crashed once. I was gonna buy A Data 4GB ... but it looked so damn sketchy. I heard they die within' a month and two.
    Global Posts
    19 Global Posts
    I have tried Transcend x80 MiniSD 1GB (plus adaptor) and it crashes my Treo 680 every access to the card.
    Last edited by nutdhanai; 01/02/2007 at 07:37 PM.
    I'd like to add some clarification or suggestions:

We had this discussion over at PDAStreets regarding the iQue 3600 a couple of years back and I think this is pertinent:

1. Format the card via the Card Info program in the Treo. Don't format it outside via the PC or on another device....format the card to the device it's most likely will be used in.

2. Verify the manufacturer - also via the Card Info program. There are actually only a handful of SD and SD mini card manufacturers out there. A Kingston card might actually be made by Toshiba, Panasonic or SanDisk besides possibly Kingston. The card info will tell you who actually made it.

Then see if there is a pattern but my guess is that if this really is an issue - then it will be with one manufacturer.

As a side note- Toshiba did a have a bad batch of cards 3+ years ago and the iQue forum traced it down to units made in Japan rather then units made in Taiwan.
    Moose Man
    Welcome my son, welcome to the machine.
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    If I format my 2G SanDisc Ultra II in my 650, it looks formatted, but the disk is full and can't write to it.. Maybe just my luck. Formatting in my wifes XP machine works fine.
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    It is common practice to format an SD card? I got the 1GB with the music pack and just popped it in and started using it. Was I supposed to format it first?
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    I'd like to add some clarification or suggestions:

We had this discussion over at PDAStreets regarding the iQue 3600 a couple of years back and I think this is pertinent:

1. Format the card via the Card Info program in the Treo. Don't format it outside via the PC or on another device....format the card to the device it's most likely will be used in.

2. Verify the manufacturer - also via the Card Info program. There are actually only a handful of SD and SD mini card manufacturers out there. A Kingston card might actually be made by Toshiba, Panasonic or SanDisk besides possibly Kingston. The card info will tell you who actually made it.

Then see if there is a pattern but my guess is that if this really is an issue - then it will be with one manufacturer.

As a side note- Toshiba did a have a bad batch of cards 3+ years ago and the iQue forum traced it down to units made in Japan rather then units made in Taiwan.
    Yeah, I thought that formatting might be an issue, so I tried formatting it on several devices, the Treo, Windows, other Palm devices. I always had the same results.

As far as who manufactures it, I'll have to do some research there.
    Quote Originally Posted by khaytsus View Post
    If I format my 2G SanDisc Ultra II in my 650, it looks formatted, but the disk is full and can't write to it.. Maybe just my luck. Formatting in my wifes XP machine works fine.
    I've got an SD Mini (with adapter in the 680) that can't be read by my Windows XP Media Edition PC - but can by my Toshiba Laptop (which is older) and both of course have dedicated SD slots......

Mysteries of the digital world?
    Moose Man
    iPhone 3G, Treo 750, 680, 650, 600 and T5, T3, T, M515, M505, Vx, V, Prizm, Visor, IIIc, IIIe, Palm Pilot Professional, Palm Pilot (ok boys and girls a whopping 128k of memory - those were the days) and former Palm Beta tester.
    Quote Originally Posted by Maris View Post
    It is common practice to format an SD card? I got the 1GB with the music pack and just popped it in and started using it. Was I supposed to format it first?
    Pre-recorded cards designed for use in a Palm have been previously formatted. Formatting will "erase" all data on the card so you don't want to do that.

To be clear - whenever I buy a new card - the first thing I do is format it to the device it's intended for whether it be a digital camera or one of my Palms and if I have a problem during this process - the card is returned immediately.

Now in the 5 or 6 years of SD card usage in my Palm/Treo's, I've only returned 1 that had a compatibility issue. It was a Kingston that was made by Panasonic and this was 3+ years ago.

Each of us have are own rituals that we prefer....I was stating mine.
    Moose Man
    I am having similar issue with my 680 and 2gb Ridata pro 150x card - it refuses to "wake up" at times and removal of the battery is the only way to power it on.

I do use chatter and have email stored to the card....who knows
    Fred
    Cingular 680
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2 View Post
    I am having similar issue with my 680 and 2gb Ridata pro 150x card - it refuses to "wake up" at times and removal of the battery is the only way to power it on.

I do use chatter and have email stored to the card....who knows
    Next time it does it, try just removing the card. Mine will wake up and stay awake as long as the card is out. Once I put it back in, it locks up again (until I remove the battery).
    Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RSGMOOSE View Post
    Pre-recorded cards designed for use in a Palm have been previously formatted. Formatting will "erase" all data on the card so you don't want to do that.

To be clear - whenever I buy a new card - the first thing I do is format it to the device it's intended for whether it be a digital camera or one of my Palms and if I have a problem during this process - the card is returned immediately.
    Good to know, and makes sense. Thanks for the information.
    I got a 2GB PNY SD card that card info identifies as a Toshiba. No read/write speeds listed on the card or the packaging.

So far it works well in my Treo680, but take it out and put it in my T3 and T3 will identify the card, but lists "none" as the size! Also no items show up on the card.

The 1GB card from the T3 can be read in the Treo 680 and lists all items, apps and images. Asking the Treo to actually Read the card for images - puts it into the dreaded white screen non responsive mode!

Guess its a good thing I don't swap out cards regularly? But I thought that was one of the perks of this device?

I could with the Treo 650 swap cards, and would to listen to music (which is one reason I personally miss the top loading easy access card port.)

hmmm, interesting, very interesting!
    This PRE is MINE all MINE! But if you ask nice I might let you hold it!
    Global Posts
    176 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by paesano View Post
    After a bit of testing on my own and after following some threads in this forum, I have come to the conclusion that the 680 simply does not like certain SD cards.

Interestingly, I have used this card successfully to copy files back and forth from the 680, so it doesn't always freeze when accessing the card. Apparently only certain types of I/O operations cause this problem. In addition, the 650, TX, and Lifedrive have no problem with this card at all. I have also used the card in digital cameras and with the PC with no issues.

I know there will be those tempted to chastise me for buying a cheap card, and you may have a point, but I believe this is a 680 bug. There have been other threads about the 680 freezing. I just wonder if the SD card is the biggest culprit.
    Looks like you did a great job at troubleshooting your own problem. It makes sense that some SD cards would not work as well, even though they worked fine in other devices.
    I use the 1GB palm SD card that came with the mobile kit and I notice that there are times there are slight but not bothersome delays during certain actions that write to the card. When I replace it with a 2 GB faster Ultra II SD card there are no delays.
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgewizard View Post
    I got a 2GB PNY SD card that card info identifies as a Toshiba. No read/write speeds listed on the card or the packaging.

So far it works well in my Treo680, but take it out and put it in my T3 and T3 will identify the card, but lists "none" as the size! Also no items show up on the card.

The 1GB card from the T3 can be read in the Treo 680 and lists all items, apps and images. Asking the Treo to actually Read the card for images - puts it into the dreaded white screen non responsive mode!

Guess its a good thing I don't swap out cards regularly? But I thought that was one of the perks of this device?

I could with the Treo 650 swap cards, and would to listen to music (which is one reason I personally miss the top loading easy access card port.)

hmmm, interesting, very interesting!

The T3 (used to have one and it's probably still in a closet somewhere in the house) - had an issue early on with the SD slot and there was a "patch" by Palm for the fix. It dealt with with some issues related to what you are describing....you should be able to find the patch under the support area for the T3 (hard to believe it's now 4 years old) at Palm site......if this continues to be an issue for you.
    Moose Man